Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I forgot to add, I saw one 2 3/4" marked barrel with just a single hole for gas exhaust. It was a mismarked 3" barrel as the chamber length and the gas port was correct for a Magnum gun. I wonder how many barrels escaped the factory like that as well as how many had a magnum model or barrel and were using lighter target loads in it. That would lead to problems when the gun dirtied a bit.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
The most common problem I saw with the 1100 was not keeping the recoil spring tube clean.
That applies to both 1100 & 11-87.. IIRC, Rem suggests replacing the recoil spring every year or two.. They're cheap - about $5-6 and takes about 5 mns to do the job..

I can usually tell whether a spring needs replacing and/or tube cleaning just by seeing/listening to the bolt close. If it snaps closed with authority, leave it alone.. If it seems the LEAST bit sluggish/slow - time for a cleaning/spring replacement..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot 1100/11-87’s a LOT. Last winter league I cleaned my 11-87 exactly zero times. Shot it all winter with zero issues. In fact I have never had one not run well dirty or clean. Redneck is right on longevity too. The Beretta is a great gun as well but the Remington’s fit me WAY better and I could rebuild one with my eyes closed

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why would you think shortening the barrel would affect the functioning, ejecting, and/or loading of an auto shotgun?

As long as you don't snip the gas port you're good to go.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Actually, a certain amount of "dwell" at a given pressure is needed for a gas operated action to work properly. The amount of time this occurs is somewhat dependent on how much barrel is past the gas ports. The type of powder and the gas volume it produces at the ports is another factor. The majority of the time there will be no problems with a barrel of legal length but in rare cases when tolerances are being barely met with a more common length barrel a problem can crop up. Often a change in ammo "fixes" the problem but a real fix may require a different gas exhaust spring or enlarge ing the gas ports.

I have an acquaintance who likes to dabble in short barreled shotguns (legally) and we have bounced ideas back and forth when he has a problem gun. Those are the long term fixes he has found and he'll usually do the spring first as it is not permanent.

IC B2

S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DMc
Why would you think shortening the barrel would affect the functioning, ejecting, and/or loading of an auto shotgun? As long as you don't snip the gas port you're good to go.

Because shortening the barrel can have an effect on how a gas operated semi auto functions. I asked Weatherby about that and just received the response below.

We did offer the SA-459 with an 18.5" barrel in 20ga for a time, it is discontinued at this time, it was the same action. The shorter barrel did mean that a heavier and/or faster load was required to cycle the shotgun, the reduced distance between the gas ports and the muzzle meant that gas pressure wasn't able to build up as much as with the field barrels, so a load that generates more pressure is needed. You can see the minimum load specs for each model at the link below.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slammer
Originally Posted by DMc
Why would you think shortening the barrel would affect the functioning, ejecting, and/or loading of an auto shotgun? As long as you don't snip the gas port you're good to go.

Because shortening the barrel can have an effect on how a gas operated semi auto functions. I asked Weatherby about that and just received the response below.

We did offer the SA-459 with an 18.5" barrel in 20ga for a time, it is discontinued at this time, it was the same action. The shorter barrel did mean that a heavier and/or faster load was required to cycle the shotgun, the reduced distance between the gas ports and the muzzle meant that gas pressure wasn't able to build up as much as with the field barrels, so a load that generates more pressure is needed. You can see the minimum load specs for each model at the link below.

IMHO, that's not due to the short barrel, but due to the fact that they changed the distance to the gas ports... Well, duh ...

Taking an existing (say) 28-30" barrel and chopping it off a bit does NOT change the breech/gas port distance and will do nothing to affect function...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The location of the gas ports were NOT changed. Look back and read where Weatherby states it is the decreased distance from the gas ports to the muzzle that caused the problem. It is as I pointed out, there was less time (dwell) for the gas volume to fill and operate the action before pressures fell off as the shot charge exited the barrel.

I'll agree that merely removing a couple inches from a barrel will have much affect on the operation but going to 18"-19" is more than a couple. And I forgot about this being a 20 ga and not a 12 ga which appears to be a bit more sensitive in regards to gas volume. It makes sense as the stock gas exhaust spring in my 20 ga Berettas are heavier than in their 12 ga brethren.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bah... IMHO Wby is full of chit.. Well, maybe it's true in their shotguns, but I've shortened many semi-auto barrels over my nearly 20 years as a 'smith and not once had anybody come back and say they don't cycle ammo... Full disclosure - all have been Rem variations, a few A-5s and probably some Winchesters.. No Wbys that I can recall.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,146
Posts18,464,986
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.