Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Some people run them forever. A week is long enough.

These cowboys have no skin in the game, it's a business to them and matters not how long it stays on the list.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I laugh at the guy selling the Mountain Lion mount every time he bumps it up... I can't see ANYONE to pay big bucks for an old mount that they did not even shoot...

And it looks like dogshiit to top it off.... donate it to the local gunshop and move on....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
one day max

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I never made a case for recovering money that went to customizing a firearm. A used 1911 that has been tuned so well it almost shoots itself is worth the price of a box stock used 1911...unless you get lucky and find a guy who wants those exact accurizing changes you paid for and is willing to pay for them. I never even tried to sell a customized firearm. I would never get back what I put in to it. That's just the way it goes. I was referring to factory original, barely used safe-queen rated gear, that folks on here are not willing to pay 75% or even 70% of the price I bought it for. I got tired of giving my gear away. So, I pretty much stopped selling anything and if I need to fund a new toy, I just take a little longer and build my slush fund back up until I can pay cash and not have to sell any of my other gear.

That is the right way to do it

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So you are complaining because you get 70% (or 65% or even less) for your used guns and gear than what you paid for them?

Guess what? That's what they're worth. The market sets the price. Correctly. Guns are a commodity nowadays. They are a dime a dozen. The only reason they seemed to be worth a lot over the past decade was due to the Obama Scare. That was an artificial inflation due to fear, which will not be replicated again and wasn't rational when in effect. The "soft" market is the reality market. And it will get softer and softer as Americans age, companies flood with new products, yet the audience is saturated to the max.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I listed 10 guns for sale last weekend in the classifieds and added one as the weekend went along,for a total of 11. 8 sold, 3 remain. I made them attractive price wise, not like the inflated Democrat years. Quality pieces will have people willing to pay for them IMO.

LOL
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So you are complaining because you get 70% (or 65% or even less) for your used guns and gear than what you paid for them?

Guess what? That's what they're worth.
For NOW.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The market sets the price. Correctly. Guns are a commodity nowadays. They are a dime a dozen. The only reason they seemed to be worth a lot over the past decade was due to the Obama Scare. That was an artificial inflation due to fear, which will not be replicated again and wasn't rational when in effect. The "soft" market is the reality market. And it will get softer and softer as Americans age, companies flood with new products, yet the audience is saturated to the max.

Complaining? No. EXplaining. Also EXplaining what I do now. What guns bring here is lower than what guns will bring on the auction sites. And if you think the obama years were the last of the gun-scare prices you are sadly mistaken. If Trump were to flip, and there really is a Blue Wave in November, and the Executive branch decides we don't need ARs to hunt deer, watch the price of ARs increase 50% overnight.

It will only take one liberal POTUS willing to sign anti-gun bills if they get to his/her desk, or abuse Executive Orders like obama did. I was buying guns when Carter was President. Then the Reagan years, then Klinton, Bush and obama and now Trump. Talk about a see-saw gun economy. When Reagan passed the Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986 full auto weapons immediately tripled in price, and headed even further up to the point a stamped metal M-16 is now worth $20K.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Competitively being 50 to 60 cents on the dollar. I have had the same experiences - custom rifles don’t sell quickly anymore.

Is that because cheaper rifles now offer similar accuracy at a fraction of the price? P

This...and a number of the build descriptions for a custom gun aren't well documented., or documented at all.

Or the smith is local to the seller, and half country from the buyer - never heard of the gunsmith.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Godogs57
That guy is never going to sell that Ruger No. 1 is he?

lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For rifles and based on personal experience, if it's not a 700 or clone, I try to sell elsewhere first. Don't sell many, but the last three that were not push feeds that I really wanted to move, I put on the classifieds, dropped the price after a couple of days to my bottom dollar and got low-balled. Listed them on an auction site (starting bid was what I offered them for here and added a shipping cost to the auction to cover the auction fees). All 3 sold, 2 for substantially more than what I would have accepted from a campfire member.

Scopes are tough and keep dropping, I see people's preferences changing quickly and few selling for what I thought they would.

Overall, I agree with the above, 1 to 2 days of TTT, drop price to bottom dollar, TTT for one or two more days (make sure you hit a weekend), then back in the safe or sell elsewhere.

Personal opinion, worth what you paid.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smallcal
...All 3 sold, 2 for substantially more than what I would have accepted from a campfire member...

That's been my experience as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by smallcal
...All 3 sold, 2 for substantially more than what I would have accepted from a campfire member...

That's been my experience as well.

Gunbroker, or is there another site you're talking of?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Owl
- custom rifles don’t sell quickly anymore.

I see some really nice rifles on here. BUT, what floats your boat in a custom, may not float mine. That is the difficulty with customs. Why pay $2500 for a custom rifle when you could build one yourself, to suit your tastes and desires, and possibly build it for less money.

Just like building a hot rod car. You buy a donor Corvette for $10k. Do a frame of restoration for $40k, Then a $20k paint job, another $10k for the interior. $3k for the stereo.. Oh, and then there is the $25k for the engine, and $8k for the transmission. And then tires, wheels, exhaust...

By the time you're done you've dropped $100k into the car. and what's it worth ? $60k.

Priced low?
Defiance Rebel sheep hunter action $1100
McMillan Hunter Edge stock $600
Rock Creek 5R barrel $300
Sunny Hill aluminum BDL bottom metal $200
Timney trigger $100
Wyatt’s box $50?
Talley LW 30mm $50

Total is $2400 in parts

I couldn’t even get an offer for $2500. So FWIW, I agree that the market is soft and you’re lucky to get 60% of what you paid.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Priced low?
Defiance Rebel sheep hunter action $1100
McMillan Hunter Edge stock $600
Rock Creek 5R barrel $300
Sunny Hill aluminum BDL bottom metal $200
Timney trigger $100
Wyatt’s box $50?
Talley LW 30mm $50

Total is $2400 in parts

I couldn’t even get an offer for $2500. So FWIW, I agree that the market is soft and you’re lucky to get 60% of what you paid.

BTDT GTTS

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
TTT....means I priced the item too high to begin with...but refuse to acknowledge it.

Buyer sets value.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The fair market value is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts.

Good stuff sells itself...

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
up

Mike (not) grin

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Waders
The fair market value is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts.

Good stuff sells itself...

Rocket science...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
What if it's a bright yellow Chevy Avalanche?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
TTT....means I priced the item too high to begin with...but refuse to acknowledge it.

Buyer sets value.

I guess that holds true if the seller feels an urgent need (for whatever reason) to sell the item. I believe items that sell quickly to the very first person who sees the ad are priced too low, and could have gotten a higher price after a day or two; thus the beauty of the auction. In an auction you can get a good feel for what your item is worth...at that particular date and time. For example, the obscene prices people were paying for .22 LR ammunition, and the subterfuge used by some to secure entire shipments right off of the truck, before the rest of us simple fools waited for a dribble of .22 to hit the shelves and be rationed out. Folks who paid a premium price for .22 LR and amassed 500K to 1 Million rounds can't afford to shoot it or sell it until another event causes a perceived shortage and another run on the retailers occurs.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.