-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Took advantage of a rain day and went scouting for black raspberries ("black caps"). Ate a few and will bring help (wife) this afternoon with some buckets.

[Linked Image]

The larger black berries will be coming on in mid July.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Looks like what we call Dew Berries.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Looks like what we call Dew Berries.

That's what I thought too My grandmother had some of them when I was a kid. I prefer blackberries.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huh..........that's just not right, now. MINE aren't even close..........but I've got Mulberry trees fruiting galore.

I never knew Mulberries were so good OR that multiple trees fruit out sometimes WEEKS apart. I've got some dropping berries everywhere and an equal amount of trees just solid with still green fruit.

Enjoy. Still waiting on my raspberries. They are all volunteer stuff that sprang up here and there in the pasture area. Dang things spread like wildfire too if you don't watch em.

God Bless

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lot's of wild mulberry trees here The squirrels like to eat the berries, I never have.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Lot's of wild mulberry trees here The squirrels like to eat the berries, I never have.

My Dad called the spring squirrel season the mulberry season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't the monkeys chasing weasels scare the squirrels away?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If directed at me, I'm too dense. Please explain.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by websterparish47
If directed at me, I'm too dense. Please explain.

Pop Goes the Weasel

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
I can tell when they are ripe without even going into the woods. My dang cars and house have blue/black ting to the bird$hit.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I like finding a mulberry tree that is dropping. Set up 25 yards or so away and kill the pizz outta squirrels.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I miss mulberries. Had a nice tree where I lived while working in WA since 2010. Retired now, brought some dried berries home to try to start from seed. No luck yet, I think they may have to pass through a robin's ass to be viable grin

I do know that quail, robins, sparrows of all flavors, pheasant, orioles, and probably a lot of other birds love the heck out of them. The male trees make great shade, the females too, but messy they are. White cars/houses/awnings etc certainly don't like them.

As for the other types, we had a freeze two weeks or so ago so no berries yet. I just checked and the first few strawberries have another couple of days to go. We only bought this place about 18 months ago, started getting plants last summer. Our two blueberry bushes have about 6 total berries starting to ripen. One of the raspberry bushes we picked up has 4-5 berries on it, none of the black or tay berries have a flower even.

Sad thing is, with our luck we'll have to move just about the time my garden/orchard/berry patch becomes established. If so, not because of work, as has happened so many times, but health care in our very rural area leaves a lot to be desired and we're not getting younger.

Can't wait to explore and find some Himalaya berry patches out along some streams.

Everyone enjoy them berries while they're here. They'll be gone too soon (xcpt for the frozen and put up ones!))

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,221
Posts18,466,442
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.