-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got a Lee Shaver "Economy Mid Range Soule" sight for my Winchester 1885 38-55 Traditional Hunter this week and had it out for the first time this morning. Gotta say, this is one nice sight! At $225 "Economy" may be misleading but with a lot of the soule type sights costing close to and well over $400 this was a good way to get into a quality adjustable sight. The rifle came from the factory with a Marbles tang sight which was meh. It worked somewhat but it wiggled when upright - being steady and not moving seems like kind of a prerequisite for a sight IMO. I never could trust whether a high or low shot was due to the sight being slightly displaced from the previous shot.

Won't go into details of a soule sight but it's basically a vernier type infinitely adjustable sight (no clicks) with very precise markings telling you exactly how much the sight is moving, both for windage and elevation. The windage is very tight while the elevation is adjusted by loosening the eyecup, making the adjustment and tightening the eyecup back so it stays put. With the rifle's sight radius of 31.5", a movement of .00875" (.009" rounded up) moves POI 1" at 100 yards. After making sure I was on paper at 25 yards, sighting in precisely 11.5" high at 100 was a matter of solving a couple an easy multiplication problem and moving the sight exactly that much. That sight in puts me just under 6" high at 200 for gong shooting with a 6 o'clock hold.

Bought a Hadley eye cup with the sight, this has a little wheel built in with multiple aperture sizes so you can adjust for ambient light and target needs. That was well worth the extra cost since you can dial it down to the lowest setting usable for precise bullseye shooting and then open it up a bit if needed.

Anyway, the main point of the post is to give a real strong recommendation to these Lee Shaver products. The sight and eye cup are of high quality with precise and tight adjustments that don't come loose. And unlike that floppy Marbles sight this one stays rock solid when upright. I ordered the sight this past Monday night through the website and it was in my mailbox by priority mail on Thursday. I definitely give the product and the service two big thumbs up.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good tip. I visited his webs site where he gives a very candid explanation of the pro's and con's.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had Lee rework one of his mid range shafts to fit the base that came on my H&R Trapdoor Officer's Model. Worked like a charm. A quality product!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The Shaver sight is a good deal. Got one on my C.Sharps. Also have three of his front sights on single shots. Lee Shaver also fixed an 1885 with jammed up fly. Cleaned up sear and got the whole mess running. Good person who does good work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 2003and2013, 64 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.