-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow 8 times! And here I am trying to go once. Of course finances will have a lot to do with it. But, Its a dream hunt, so I guess you can't put a price on that. I need to just make it a priority, save up, and do it.

I want to start small. Just a few (maybe 3-4) basic plains game at first. Then, go back a second time and try and get bigger plains game like kudu, zebra, etc. I have friends that say wouldn't it be cool to get a lion on your first safari? And I say "No it wouldn't!" Animals like that DESERVE to be taken by someone who has put in their time and EARNED the right to hunt them. But thats just me and the way I see it.

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
klong: Ive been over there 6 times and am a HUGE fan of Namibia for quality, selection and prices. I feel it is by far the best bang for the buck...LOTS of very reputable outfitters there, PM me if you like and I'll dredge up some names. Look at package hunts and you'll see you can often include the bigger plains game at prices better than expected.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by klong67
Wow 8 times! And here I am trying to go once. Of course finances will have a lot to do with it. But, Its a dream hunt, so I guess you can't put a price on that. I need to just make it a priority, save up, and do it.

I want to start small. Just a few (maybe 3-4) basic plains game at first. Then, go back a second time and try and get bigger plains game like kudu, zebra, etc. I have friends that say wouldn't it be cool to get a lion on your first safari? And I say "No it wouldn't!" Animals like that DESERVE to be taken by someone who has put in their time and EARNED the right to hunt them. But thats just me and the way I see it.

Listen to Ingwe and don't "settle" for just 3-4 critters on your first safari.

Get what you WANT-you're already paying X amount simply to fly over there...if you really WANT a kudu or gemsbok or whatever, you're simply not going to be happy if you go all the way over there hunting only the cheap critters and not hunting whatever that #1 critter for you is.

Sure, you could use that as an excuse to go back, but you'll regret not chasing whatever it is that you really want. I took a kudu, gemsbok, impala, blesbok and a warthog on my only trip and really regret not adding a black wildebeest. I'll make it back one day, but that doesn't help my desire to hunt one now.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
klong67,here are a few pictures,just to wet your appetite.

These are from my first safari in October 1995.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
A few more from my first safari. By the way,everything pictured here was killed with a .30/06 and 180 grain Nosler Partitions.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

From my second safari in November 2016. I used a .375 H&H and 270 grain Swift A-Frame on the first four animals.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
And finally,I used a .375 RUM and 300 grain Nosler Partitions on the lioness.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That makes a lot of sense guys. And I REALLY appreciate all the help!

Elkhunternm...You definitely gave me an appetite!!! Those are some great pictures! I absolutely LOVE the lioness!!!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Elkhunternm, I also love the 375 RUM. I used to have one myself. Shouldn't have gotten rid of it! Too bad you can't find brass anymore. I actually had one made for me before you could find ammo or brass on the shelves. I just had to neck up 300 RUM.

Last edited by klong67; 07/01/18.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
klong67,I have a lifetime supply of .375 RUM brass i.e. about 100 rounds worth.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I showed these to my wife. She really like them. Thank you for those awesome pictures.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You're welcome klong67. Glad you and your wife enjoyed them.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
klong67,here are a few more pics....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh man! I've got the fever!! I was thinking I also have my dads Mauser 98 in 9.3x62 that I could use. It has a 21" Shilen barrel....any thoughts?

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Take it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Enjoy your trip and your hunt Klong...

I am fortunate enough to know a batch of the guys that have posted on here, so that should lower the flack I'll get with the statement.. I have NO desire to go to Africa....heck I don't even like going near Oakland...

That said, I'd love to experience a batch of other places.. Scandinavia, Germany, Australia, Canada, New Zealand.
States all over the USA, each year....

My two road blocks are always the Time to Take to Go.. and then that little word called Budget...
Even to save up the money to go somewhere, my wife has a way of intercepting the money and then do the female guilt trip that the money is better spent on :the house and making our home a home ( translation, making it full of things she wants to make her home her home)...

I enjoy hunting, but don't need to feel the need to shoot a bunch of strange animals to me...
plus I can't bring them back to the US to eat them...

Actually I think I'd prefer to be out in the field, with a lot of the great guys I know on the campfire hunting deer or elk, than gong to Africa hunting with strangers....( okay, I'd make exceptions for Australia, NZ, Canada or northern Europe & strangers)...

What I do enjoy is things like this thread and seeing the smiles on the faces of people I know, while they are having a good time and enjoying themselves, doing what they love....

so Klong, even tho I don't know you.. I look forward to seeing you posting pics of your smiling face and the game you get on your Safari to Africa....best of luck on your travels...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Klong: heres another teaser pic for you..a few years ago..when I still had hair...and it was brown!!

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love the pics guys. And you all have been so kind. That means a lot to me.

Seafire- I understand. My dad would always laugh and say my son loves Africa and he hasn't even been there yet. He was like you, wanted to enjoy the hunting he loved, and always seemed happier to see someone he cared about get an animal rather than himself. He was my hero!

I have dreamed of Africa since I was old enough to know what hunting was. I was captivated by the black and white films of safaris. It is something I need to do at least once...or twice....or you know. There are a lot of awesome guys on here. Like minded folks who love the outdoors and hunting, and sharing a story, a laugh, and yes Seafire...even a smile.

Thank you all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
klong: if you truly love to hunt, you owe it to yourself to go to Africa. You live once and it is not something you want to miss...cost be damned...

Another teaser pic for you....

[Linked Image]

As I have told many others, it is seldom that you will do something that you'll remember the rest of your life, you'll do something every day on safari that you'll remember forever...

Last edited by ingwe; 07/04/18.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Amen Ingwe......you told me that before I went the first time. Now after 4 trips over, it is absolutely correct. It has to be seen and experienced to be believed.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Amen Ingwe......you told me that before I went the first time. Now after 4 trips over, it is absolutely correct. It has to be seen and experienced to be believed.

Yeah but the bad part ( or maybe good...) I also told you is that Africa is like your first love, you won't have a day for the rest of your life when you don't think of her....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.