Campfire Oracle
E
Got my Blesbok skull/skin today.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sweet!

The Blesbok turned out to be one of the more difficult animals for me to connect on, during my '15 trip to SA.

I took over two dozen animals including Eland, 2 Kudu, Nyala, Waterbuck, 3 Zebra, 2 Baboon, Jackal, Warthog, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest...I think only the Eland gave me a harder time!!

I know that sounds strange, but it is the truth!

Every time I look at mine I kinda shake my head!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Oryx was the hard one for me,took 3 days to finally get one.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bowhunted Zimbabwe once and SA twice. Got my blesbuck on the third trip. Have mine shoulder mounted. Brown/white contrast on face is interesting.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got my first blesbuck on my second trip to the Eastern Cape. 103 yards with a 45-110 Sharps and a 511 grain paper patched bullet at 1360 fps. One shot, complete pass through, down and done. It made a beautiful shoulder mount in my reloading room.

On the third trip, I carried a Sharps in 45-70, and took two blesbuck, one at 307 yards and another at 451. This was a 480 grain grease groove bullet at 1244fps. Again, two complete pass throughs and both were DRT. Two great hunts, and these are beautiful animals.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My one and only blesbuck from 2002 via 9.3 x62.

[Linked Image]

Funny how hunts go. I recently returned from Namibia and my gemsbuck was the most difficult to get. In Namibia...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
. I recently returned from Namibia and my gemsbuck was the most difficult to get. In Namibia...

Thats why I like hunting them, they are no slouches.

Then again kudu ALWAYS offer up an interesting hunt...

My one and only Blesbok...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 06/23/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Someday I would love to experience an African hunt! My dream!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good deal Elk, I need one of those. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by klong67

"An African hunt" will only be the first of many, you get bit HARD when you finally go, been twice from the fall of '15 to the fall of '17, cant think of a better thing I'd rather spend a few bucks on.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Do it NOW!

Its still a bargain in the hunting world, and you're not getting any younger!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gunner500 - would a 338 win mag serve me well there? I would start out with plains game so it would be cheaper. I wonder if I could get it done for 10k or cheaper??

Last edited by klong67; 06/29/18.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ingwe...no kidding! I feel older every day!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner500 - would a 338 win mag serve me well there? I would start out with plains game so it would be cheaper. I wonder if I could get it done for 10k or cheaper??

Lord Yes X's 2, load that 338 up accurate with 210/225 gr TSX/TTSX's or 250 gr Partitions/Swift A Frames and you'll be set for all plains game animals, big bullets kill little animals just fine too, when you're ready to discuss, PM me and I'll put you in touch with a man that can get that whole hunt done for most likely a great deal under 10K all up.

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks gunner500! You got it!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks gunner500! You got it!!

I can turn you on to some good plains game people too, along with Gunner.

And you dont really need a .338...a .30-06 works just fine with good bullets......but of course so does the .338!

Use what you shoot best!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thank you Ingwe! I really want to do this hunt!! I have had a dream to hunt Africa since I was a little kid. I lost my Dad to cancer just a little over two months ago. He was my hero, and best friend. We ALWAYS hunted together. So, I bought him a Mauser M12 in 338 for his birthday that he never got to fire. He loved Mausers! ( shortly after getting the rifle, he had to have a port placed in his shoulder for Chemo access), so I figure I would take that rifle in his honor since he loved it so and it was his favorite caliber.

Hard to see this pic without getting emotional, but...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn! Thats a nice rifle and would be great for plains game. JB and I went on safari in 1999 and he used a .338 to good effect on plains game up to and including eland.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks. I got online and was, for the first time, looking at some prices just to get an idea. Africa is less expensive than I thought! Thank you for the help, cause I'm sure you have to be picky with an outfitter! I don't want to get ripped off my first time out! Any websites you know of that I can drool over would be appreciated, Thanks again guys. I may actually have my dream hunt soon!!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you want to go you should do it, I just returned from y 8th trip and am already planning my next/

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow 8 times! And here I am trying to go once. Of course finances will have a lot to do with it. But, Its a dream hunt, so I guess you can't put a price on that. I need to just make it a priority, save up, and do it.

I want to start small. Just a few (maybe 3-4) basic plains game at first. Then, go back a second time and try and get bigger plains game like kudu, zebra, etc. I have friends that say wouldn't it be cool to get a lion on your first safari? And I say "No it wouldn't!" Animals like that DESERVE to be taken by someone who has put in their time and EARNED the right to hunt them. But thats just me and the way I see it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
klong: Ive been over there 6 times and am a HUGE fan of Namibia for quality, selection and prices. I feel it is by far the best bang for the buck...LOTS of very reputable outfitters there, PM me if you like and I'll dredge up some names. Look at package hunts and you'll see you can often include the bigger plains game at prices better than expected.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wow 8 times! And here I am trying to go once. Of course finances will have a lot to do with it. But, Its a dream hunt, so I guess you can't put a price on that. I need to just make it a priority, save up, and do it.

I want to start small. Just a few (maybe 3-4) basic plains game at first. Then, go back a second time and try and get bigger plains game like kudu, zebra, etc. I have friends that say wouldn't it be cool to get a lion on your first safari? And I say "No it wouldn't!" Animals like that DESERVE to be taken by someone who has put in their time and EARNED the right to hunt them. But thats just me and the way I see it.

Listen to Ingwe and don't "settle" for just 3-4 critters on your first safari.

Get what you WANT-you're already paying X amount simply to fly over there...if you really WANT a kudu or gemsbok or whatever, you're simply not going to be happy if you go all the way over there hunting only the cheap critters and not hunting whatever that #1 critter for you is.

Sure, you could use that as an excuse to go back, but you'll regret not chasing whatever it is that you really want. I took a kudu, gemsbok, impala, blesbok and a warthog on my only trip and really regret not adding a black wildebeest. I'll make it back one day, but that doesn't help my desire to hunt one now.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
klong67,here are a few pictures,just to wet your appetite.

These are from my first safari in October 1995.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
A few more from my first safari. By the way,everything pictured here was killed with a .30/06 and 180 grain Nosler Partitions.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

From my second safari in November 2016. I used a .375 H&H and 270 grain Swift A-Frame on the first four animals.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
And finally,I used a .375 RUM and 300 grain Nosler Partitions on the lioness.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That makes a lot of sense guys. And I REALLY appreciate all the help!

Elkhunternm...You definitely gave me an appetite!!! Those are some great pictures! I absolutely LOVE the lioness!!!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Elkhunternm, I also love the 375 RUM. I used to have one myself. Shouldn't have gotten rid of it! Too bad you can't find brass anymore. I actually had one made for me before you could find ammo or brass on the shelves. I just had to neck up 300 RUM.

Last edited by klong67; 07/01/18.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
klong67,I have a lifetime supply of .375 RUM brass i.e. about 100 rounds worth.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I showed these to my wife. She really like them. Thank you for those awesome pictures.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
You're welcome klong67. Glad you and your wife enjoyed them.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
klong67,here are a few more pics....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh man! I've got the fever!! I was thinking I also have my dads Mauser 98 in 9.3x62 that I could use. It has a 21" Shilen barrel....any thoughts?

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Take it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Enjoy your trip and your hunt Klong...

I am fortunate enough to know a batch of the guys that have posted on here, so that should lower the flack I'll get with the statement.. I have NO desire to go to Africa....heck I don't even like going near Oakland...

That said, I'd love to experience a batch of other places.. Scandinavia, Germany, Australia, Canada, New Zealand.
States all over the USA, each year....

My two road blocks are always the Time to Take to Go.. and then that little word called Budget...
Even to save up the money to go somewhere, my wife has a way of intercepting the money and then do the female guilt trip that the money is better spent on :the house and making our home a home ( translation, making it full of things she wants to make her home her home)...

I enjoy hunting, but don't need to feel the need to shoot a bunch of strange animals to me...
plus I can't bring them back to the US to eat them...

Actually I think I'd prefer to be out in the field, with a lot of the great guys I know on the campfire hunting deer or elk, than gong to Africa hunting with strangers....( okay, I'd make exceptions for Australia, NZ, Canada or northern Europe & strangers)...

What I do enjoy is things like this thread and seeing the smiles on the faces of people I know, while they are having a good time and enjoying themselves, doing what they love....

so Klong, even tho I don't know you.. I look forward to seeing you posting pics of your smiling face and the game you get on your Safari to Africa....best of luck on your travels...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Klong: heres another teaser pic for you..a few years ago..when I still had hair...and it was brown!!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love the pics guys. And you all have been so kind. That means a lot to me.

Seafire- I understand. My dad would always laugh and say my son loves Africa and he hasn't even been there yet. He was like you, wanted to enjoy the hunting he loved, and always seemed happier to see someone he cared about get an animal rather than himself. He was my hero!

I have dreamed of Africa since I was old enough to know what hunting was. I was captivated by the black and white films of safaris. It is something I need to do at least once...or twice....or you know. There are a lot of awesome guys on here. Like minded folks who love the outdoors and hunting, and sharing a story, a laugh, and yes Seafire...even a smile.

Thank you all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
klong: if you truly love to hunt, you owe it to yourself to go to Africa. You live once and it is not something you want to miss...cost be damned...

Another teaser pic for you....

[Linked Image]

As I have told many others, it is seldom that you will do something that you'll remember the rest of your life, you'll do something every day on safari that you'll remember forever...

Last edited by ingwe; 07/04/18.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Amen Ingwe......you told me that before I went the first time. Now after 4 trips over, it is absolutely correct. It has to be seen and experienced to be believed.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Amen Ingwe......you told me that before I went the first time. Now after 4 trips over, it is absolutely correct. It has to be seen and experienced to be believed.

Yeah but the bad part ( or maybe good...) I also told you is that Africa is like your first love, you won't have a day for the rest of your life when you don't think of her....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweeeeeeet Ken !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Enjoying the photos, keep them coming.

Ken, noticed the escalation in rifle power starting with the ‘06, now it’s the 460 for wabbits.

Wow!

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,it is the Elmer Keith side of me. wink

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/04/18.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
klong: if you truly love to hunt, you owe it to yourself to go to Africa. You live once and it is not something you want to miss...cost be damned...

[Linked Image]

As I have told many others, it is seldom that you will do something that you'll remember the rest of your life, you'll do something every day on safari that you'll remember forever...

Someday I'll get one of those bovines.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Someday I'll get one of those bovines.

Its a little like Ruark said, " Once you have hunted buffalo, you are dissatisfied with anything else...."

I'm not exactly dissatisfied ...but dont get very excited about a 350 class bull elk anymore...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ingwe, I do truly love to hunt. And I can't wait to experience Africa for the first time! That is a great buff!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
JG, I always enjoy those photos.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Love the last one,it is pretty.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Great photography.

I like that armored critter that rolls up in a ball.

Bet you don't have those in NM... grin

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That pangolin came up and ate the bugs off of our boots. Just walked right up to us like he'd never seen a human before. I didn't have a clue what the creature was. I found out the were a very rare sight in that area at least, as the landowner said he'd only seen one in over 20 years. We also ran into a honey badger that had a skunk in his mouth, but I didn't have time to get the camera out.

It's an amazing place.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hunting mountain zebras (Hartman's) can be addicting too. It's an awesome hunt, and make great steaks!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks like you let the air out of that one.

I've heard they're good eating.

DF

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Ken !

Are you going to be able to make it to Armijo Springs this year ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Going to try and make it. Will get a better idea when it gets closer.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,365
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.