Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Starting in 2019, Kentucky is going to liberalize its crossbow season.

MAJOR CHANGES TO KENTUCKY CROSSBOW SEASON FOR 2019-2020

The KDFWR Commission met on Friday, June 15, 2019. Kentucky Crossbow
Federation president Perry McClure was present, along with other KCF
members. At that meeting, they approved the following for the 2019-2020
hunting season.

The crossbow season will begin on the 3rd Saturday of September and run continuously until the third Monday in January.
Youth under the age of 16 may hunt with a crossbow starting on the first Saturday in September.

For more details, read here:

http://kentuckycrossbow.org/2018/06/19/major-changes-to-kentucky-crossbow-season-for-2019-2020/

I see this as a good thing. I've been shooting crossbow under a medical exemption for a decade. I had a shoulder go bad on me in 2007 and had to give up bow hunting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why not just run rifle/muzzleloading etc continuously too?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
This is outstanding news! Anybody that thinks a crossbow is as effective at killing deer as hunting with a firearm is vastly uninformed and has obviously never hunted with a crossbow...I have (and still do) hunt With both vertical bows and crossbows and while there is a slight advantage when huntng with a crossbow it is minimal and much less than many hunters conceive it to be, IMO a crossbow will add 5 to 10 yards to the average archery hunters effective range, I consider My effective hunting range with a vertical bow to be out to 40yds ( many vertical bow hunters have much longer ranges than Me) and My range with a crossbow increases to 50yds. Take a look at the harvest numbers from states that have introduced full inclusion for crossbow's during the archery season, the fear that the harvest numbers would skyrocket has not come true, there has been no sigificant increase in the harvest numbers in these states, so dont worry about the deer numbers in Kentucky declining on account of the "hoards" of new crossbow hunters invading the woods with rifle like killing power. In most states hunting license sales have been declining for many years, we need new hunters and It might encourage a few new hunters to join our ranks and that will be a good thing.....Good hunting...Hb

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Again, two seasons for deer. One is OPEN the other is CLOSED. Use whatever you wish.

Maybe more licenses would be sold if rifle season was 3 months long instead of 2 weeks.

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it were up to me, it would be.

The problem is the archery snobs want it all to themselves. The KYDWR tries to make everyone happy.

Zone 1 in KY is now an all-out war on antlerless deer. You can take as many as you want. However, even with those limits, the herd keeps growing.

We should see shortly that a new September antlerless modern weapons has been added as well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree about the archery snobs, for the most part they are a very intolerant bunch......Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Again, two seasons for deer. One is OPEN the other is CLOSED. Use whatever you wish.

Maybe more licenses would be sold if rifle season was 3 months long instead of 2 weeks.

This is what makes sense to me. I wish Michigan did this or something similar instead of catering to bow, and now crossbow, hunters.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That same attitude extends across the sport; also appears in fishing. Everybody wants what they want, which is mostly to have the woods all to themselves. I've heard some claim that a special season "belongs" to them because they lobbied to get it established and when it gets expanded to include new technologies, they get a case of the ass. I can understand that somewhat, but everyone needs to keep in mind first that the game belongs equally to everyone, and second that hunting is a conservation tool designed to manage the resource while offering hunting opportunities to the folks who foot the bills. Those who want to have a special "experience" can usually find an area or season that suits their notions if they look a bit.

I picked up my first crossbow not long ago and I feel confident to 40 yards at present, the farthest I've shot it. Most of the deer I've killed with guns in the last decade or so have been within that range and there are few places where I hunt that will alow shooting farther, considering the high trajectory. I plan to take it a bit further, but not much. The big draw for me was the extra hunting time I'll have, especially before the rifle season, because on the public land I hunt the deer, especially bucks, make themselves very scarce once that starts.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d like to see traditional handguns thrown into the mix also. At least include them during muzzleloader seasons.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by lastround
I’d like to see traditional handguns thrown into the mix also. At least include them during muzzleloader seasons.

Me too!

IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Va Hillbilly good post,,, common sense,..... I own a crossbow, it is used for predators, and during gun season.... archery season I use a long bow.... I have no issues with cross bows, never have. Anyone wanting a long rifle season, well, its just a dumb idea, no need to say more

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by groundhunter
Va Hillbilly good post,,, common sense,..... I own a crossbow, it is used for predators, and during gun season.... archery season I use a long bow.... I have no issues with cross bows, never have. Anyone wanting a long rifle season, well, its just a dumb idea, no need to say more

Deer season OPEN, or CLOSED. Period. Fugg all the special interest crap.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
+1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I sometimes wonder how much, if any, influence the number of farm crop damage tags and deer/vehicle collision insurance claims has on increasing the length of hunting seasons, adding more 'special' seasons and higher limits on deer taken by licensed hunters.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by groundhunter

Deer season OPEN, or CLOSED. Period. Fugg all the special interest crap.

Your approach has always made sense. But you don't sell as many licenses, stamps, tags, weapons, etc... if you do it that way IMHO.

Not that I care.

I hunt with what I want to hunt with when I want to hunt with. Have probably killed more deer with a bow than anything else, but doesn't keep me from using about any legal weapon and that might be(obviously I follow season rules) the first day or the last day to hunt with the most primitive. Or in between.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.