Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Took a couple weeks with the wife and toured the northeast. Visited her best friend in Connecticut, stopped by the lobby at Savage Arms, swung through New Hampshire and Maine and then came home. Got a few hours to visit with Loggah and his brother, and then a couple days later with Fug. Absolutely beautiful country and weather up there! At least in the summer grin

I'm sure I'll forget 75% of what I saw and learned, but it was great seeing you guys up there again! And sorry for stealing that 99T out of your back yard Doug.. it cleaned up much, much better than I expected. I still think it has far too much surface freckling for your house though. grin

Got a ton of pictures to sort through and I'll be posting some.

Here's a couple from the Savage lobby, good as I could get with the glare from windows/lights.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

It was very nice to see you and Tonya and have some time to spend eating good Maine food also spending a little time

looking at some different odds an ends of stuff while seeing some of the beauty the our little town has to offer and while in New

England hope you saw some things that made your trip a little special hope to see you again for a longer stay.An as always with

Savage never say never I think you may believe it now more than ever Doug & Lish

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Stole this out of Fug's back yard, rather rude of me.. looked in sad shape at the store, but cleaned up good. Had a dust/dirt on it, even had about 4" of masking tape wrapped around the barrel. Still has a surface rust/freckling over both sides of receiver, and a discolored bolt. But no extra holes, and original rear sight. Front sight is a Marbles white bead.

Had only been brought into the store the night before.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calhoun; 06/23/18.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FUG1899
It was very nice to see you and Tonya and have some time to spend eating good Maine food also spending a little time

looking at some different odds an ends of stuff while seeing some of the beauty the our little town has to offer and while in New

England hope you saw some things that made your trip a little special hope to see you again for a longer stay.An as always with

Savage never say never I think you may believe it now more than ever Doug & Lish

Still recovering from the food overload! Nebraska's going to be so boring after lobster rolls and lobster casserole and huge scallops and ... everything! Had a great time visiting, you guys were great! Hope Lish had fun, Tonya definitely did! Scenery was gorgeous. Trying to figure out why I live in Nebraska..

And yes.. never say never has been burned into my brain.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Glad you guys got home safe !!even if you did get a "T" in 303 from here! grin Missing that one myself,you will have to break out the nickel on it, you can think of us when you have the maple syrup for breakfast , and Fugs state of Maine does have the best seafood. grin Don

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like it was a great trip. In the second photo, what rifle is that 3rd from the right? Looks like a 1895 with a short receiver.

Lee

Last edited by Polecat; 06/24/18.
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Do they pay homage to thr 110 at the factory?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I told you, I am happy you finally got to see those 2 collections first hand in their entirety. I know I never recovered from those first visits. BOTH of those collections are something to behold.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Polecat
Looks like it was a great trip. In the second photo, what rifle is that 3rd from the right? Looks like a 1895 with a short receiver.

Lee

That's the 1893 patent rifle.

Originally Posted by ctw
Do they pay homage to thr 110 at the factory?

They do have a number of 110's up, as well as almost every model of gun they've produced.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Loggah
Glad you guys got home safe !!even if you did get a "T" in 303 from here! grin Missing that one myself,you will have to break out the nickel on it, you can think of us when you have the maple syrup for breakfast , and Fugs state of Maine does have the best seafood. grin Don

I was looking at that 1899B that Dick pointed out and waffling.. turned around and in the darkest part of the gun library there was sitting another 99. Picked it up and never set it down. So tell Dick "Thanks!" for me. grin Been looking for one for about 12 years, ever since Les bought that one with the compass in the buttstock. Seen a few go by, just never the right gun at the right time until this. Now I suppose I need to find a 30-30 to round it out. Maybe sometime in the next 12 years.

Having pancakes for lunch today.. because why not? Got to try that syrup!

A pic from Maine..

[Linked Image]

IC B3

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
The middle rifle, might that be 10.000 ?

Glad they give a little room for the 110 , the longest continuous production bolt action rifle in the US . It brought the company back when there seemed no hope.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I told you after you go to Fug's you will never be "RIGHT" again!! grinHeres the syrup part you didn't see.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you had a great time in NE Cal. Real nice T you got too.Thanks for posting the photos.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ctw
The middle rifle, might that be 10.000 ?

No, nobody has seen serial number 10.000 that I know of. We know who it went to, just not where it's been in the last 118 years. Hopefully it's not been destroyed.

The tall musket is the 1892 Savage rifle, the short musket is an 1895-1899 transition musket that is thought to be chambered in 30-40 Krag, then the 1893 Savage rifle, then an 1895, then a Stevens single shot.

Great displays at Savage and mostly in chronological order, but a few of their rifles are waaaay out of order. They have a Montreal Home Guard musket in the 1930's display case listed as a prototype military rifle, they have an EG with Stith in the 1970's case(?), etc. Very nice folks at the factory, unfortunately I didn't get to meet Effie. And not one complained despite me being the way snapping pictures until my camera battery died. grin

Another picture I snapped in Maine..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calhoun; 06/24/18.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Loggah
I told you after you go to Fug's you will never be "RIGHT" again!! grinHeres the syrup part you didn't see.

It would take decades to soak in everything that could be learned at your's and Fug's place - let alone just recognizing some of the important features!

And that syrup was awesome! So much better than store bought! Had all the boys in for pancakes, and they were all loving it. Thinking some home made ice cream with walnuts and topped with syrup... yum.. Gonna put on 20 pounds, but will love every minute of it. grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
100% natural!!!! totally good for you,i use it on my cereal in the mornings, take care. Don

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for sharing Rory! I might have to take that NE tour someday, ... but I'm only going to LBK's. My chin strap, and eyeball attachments aren't strong enough for Maine yet.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Calhoun, you have each and everyone here on the Savage forum jealous. First, with your visit with 2 of the Schmartest guys pertaining to Savages, ( and never meeting them, but from testimonials from those who have, the nicest people you will ever meet) AND your acquisition of a .303 T. Congrabulations on finding the holy grail to a great many of us Savage "acquirers.

Last edited by oldotter; 06/24/18.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a shame that you didn't pop in on JTC's. You were only about 20 minutes away,

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like some stories to tell around the pool in Sauk City!
Glad you had a great trip.

Bruce
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
166 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 15 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.