Print Thread
Hop To
P
poboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I want to use some cow leg bone for some knife handles. It's been laying around here, out in the sun etc, over a year..
It still has fat or grease present. Some of my hide tanning books say to soak in gasoline to degrease coons and such.
Always sounded a little harsh to me. Would gas degrease bone? Any ideas? Thanks

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would clean as well as possible, cut to size and put in in a dry box about a week before doing anything. I degrease everything before a glue up with Acetone. Wear a mask messing with grinding or sanding any biological material.

After you know your bone is dry,I would rub super glue on it to seal the surface,and then sand and polish. I have gotten good results with polished Elk horn handles done like that. I buff with white jewelers rouge. A lot of buffing will give an attractive look of depth to the finish with Elk.

P
poboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
R H Clark, Thanks for the tips. I use alot of Axis antler and small deer leg-bones for patch-knives.
If I can get the bone dry. it will make a nice alternative to antler and mesquite. Thanks again.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For fresh leg bones, I usually boil in water for a while to get the fat, etc out.
Just hot enough for a few bubbles. If the bone is going to crack, it should happen here and not on knife.

For all organic handle materials, I also soak them in a wood stabilizer when well dried out.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
For fresh leg bones, I usually boil in water for a while to get the fat, etc out.
Just hot enough for a few bubbles. If the bone is going to crack, it should happen here and not on knife.

For all organic handle materials, I also soak them in a wood stabilizer when well dried out.

Tim

I would be interested in what stabilizer you use ,if you care to share.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use this on bone, antler, wood, ivory, etc. Anything organic unless it has already been pressure stabilized.

Nelsonite Chemical Products, Inc.
Grand Rapids, MI
Scott Knutson, Pres.

infonelsonite.com

616-456-7098

Product is 30B02
It is a stablilizer to control dimensions, but not a filler.

I soak materials for an hour or so, then let dry for 3 days or so.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
P
poboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the replies guys, I dried the bone and it warped out of proportion. I'll scrap it and try another one later.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
781 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.