Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Thoughts on this rifle?

http://montanarifleco.com/index.php/x3r/

Thinking of getting one in 280 AI. Gunbroker has one for $1,475.00.

Is there anything better for the money?

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I really like MRC rifles. For the money I believe they are one of the best rifles out there. I have them in 350 Rem Mag, 375 H&H, and 6.5x55 and like them all very much

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was looking at the same rifle, like the lighter weight of the x3, if you get one let me know how it shoots, the 280ai seems about perfect👍

I
OP Offline
I
Is there anything that is closer to 6 pounds for about the same money? With glass this will probably end up closer to 8 pounds. Hoping to keep overall weight down to 7-7.5 pounds

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by IdahoJay
Is there anything that is closer to 6 pounds for about the same money? With glass this will probably end up closer to 8 pounds. Hoping to keep overall weight down to 7-7.5 pounds

Not sure about new. A used Left Hand Rem KS will get you there...

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm kind of questioning the QC at MRC. I bought a X2 back in January and had to send it back because it failed to feed and extract properly. I sent it back to them and waited about 2 months to get it back. I'm not sure what work they did while they had it, but I noticed when I got it back, the barrel isn't centered too well in the stock and actually makes contact on the left side. This wasn't the case when I first received it, because I specifically looked to see how well the fit and finish was and was pleased with the look of the barrel/stock fit. I also noticed it was missing a foam screw plug on the butt pad. When remounting the scope, one of the scope base screws stripped out at 15 in/lbs, so I found a local smith to drill and tap them to 8-40. Today I spent some time cycling some Hornady rounds through it and it looks like it might still have the extraction issue, I'll confirm it tomorrow when I take it to the range. Testing it at home, the extractor loses control of the round before the case is fully extracted. One of the same problems it had when I first sent it to them.

Bottom line, if you have a gunsmith you trust and like, I'd be inclined to just buy one of their actions only and have the local smith build you what you want. I do like the feel of my X2, but unfortunately it wasn't an "out of the box" success. I'll still need to work the trigger to something acceptable.

Last edited by gsganzer; 06/23/18.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would buy a Ruger Hawkeye LH over a Montana Rifle. If its not right Ruger will take care of you.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I would buy a Ruger Hawkeye LH over a Montana Rifle. If its not right Ruger will take care of you.

Probably agree. I own 3 Ruger hawkeye stainless laminates, .270, 25-06 and .300 Win mag. With the MRC, I was just wanting something different in a short action in 6.5 CM. I couldn't warm up to the Ruger American and had a hard time finding one of the limited run 6.5 CM Hawkeye lefties.

On a positive note, I did buy one of the Tikka T3 LH 6.5CM limited runs. That things a tack driver, although a little top heavy when carrying it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I own 3 LH 6.5 Creedmoors, LH Ruger FTW Hawkeye, Laminate SS, Tikka T3 LH LH SS 6.5 Creedmoor, and a Ruger American LH Creedmoor thats presently in a LH Laminate Boyds stock. The Ruger American is probably the most accurate!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Today I spent some time cycling some Hornady rounds through it and it looks like it might still have the extraction issue, I'll confirm it tomorrow when I take it to the range. Testing it at home, the extractor loses control of the round before the case is fully extracted. One of the same problems it had when I first sent it to them.

Just got back from the range and the MRC X2 still fails to extract about 50%- 60% of the time. The accuracy also wasn't top notch, but I'll reserve judgement until after I have the extraction issue sorted, barrel channel/bedding fixed and the crappy trigger addressed. I was also shooting a Tikka T3 in 6.5CM that was shooting 1/2" 3-shot groups. I'm really starting to warm to the Tikka and slowly losing any love for the MRC.

I will say that I like the balance and feel of the MRC X2, probably the only reason I keep investing so much effort in getting it sorted and working right. I'm not sure I'd want it much lighter for fear it would shift the balance and make it top heavy. That's my only knock on the Tikka. If you're out stalking and holding it under the belly at your side, it's really top heavy and wants to roll over in your hand. The Tikka is also the only removeable box magazine rifle I own and it takes some getting used to. Nitpicking, I know.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I owned 4 or 5 Montana’s over the years in calibers ranging from .308 to .458 Lott. The Lott had an incorrect bolt stop installed so it would not eject. MRC fixed it pretty fast.
But, in today’s world the only way I would buy another is to get a chambering not available otherwise.
There are much better choices on the market.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Man was ready to pull the trigger on a x3. Now after reading these post little nervy... What are some better choices out there?. Around that price range..

Have a tikka .300wsm..
Looking for something little heavier.. Like the X3...

Thanks. Noduck

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought one of MRC's first LH actions back when they offered it back in 03. Back then you paid first then had to wait a year for delivery.
I had them make it in 358 Win., polish the receiver and action, true the barrel and recess the crown.
They then sent it across town to Serengeti for their laminated Claro Walnut stock made to my requirements with ebony forearm and metal grip cap .
I have since re-barreled it 308.
This is one fine rifle, well made, good looking and very accurate.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
D
D
Montana Rifle Company is under new management as of about August of 2018. The new CEO is Ron Petty, the former boss from Norma-USA. He took over MRC precisely because of the QA problems and is committed to righting the ship.

If any of you are still having issues with your rifles, I'd recommend you give them a call. I know of at least a couple guys that Ron has done right by, guys who had issues which predated Ron.

Offering free helicopter rides since 1973
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a LH 220 Swift built on a SS S/A MRC the accuracy is outstanding. If you can not sort that 280AI out send it to JES and let him rebore it to 338-06AI or 35 Whelen AI??? Weight would be about right in one of the two bigger chamberings

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 25aught6
.rebore it to 338-06AI ...

Good lord, I thought I had heard of all available chamberings...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by 25aught6
.rebore it to 338-06AI ...

Good lord, I thought I had heard of all available chamberings...

It's a fantastic cartridge. It can be seen below between a 30-06 and 35 Whelen:

[Linked Image]

Mine, unfortunately, is right handed and will soon be shipped to another member here. I'm really going to miss that rifle but the bolt is on the wrong side.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I own 3 LH 6.5 Creedmoors, LH Ruger FTW Hawkeye, Laminate SS, Tikka T3 LH LH SS 6.5 Creedmoor, and a Ruger American LH Creedmoor thats presently in a LH Laminate Boyds stock. The Ruger American is probably the most accurate!

I am finding the same thing out. I have 6.5 Creedmoors in Blaser R8, Tikka T3X and the Ruger American Predator. It is shaping up to be the easiest to shoot accurately.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
IDJ:

I see you are thinking standard length action in the MRC 1999. But I have a SS short action LH I'd let go of if you are interested in doing your own light weight build.

GC
Missoula MT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 72 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.