Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Awesome pics as always, Ray!

We always called that straight stretch (~6 miles?) the gun barrel.

I gotta wonder what AST's record speeding ticket is there. My friend's son in Fbx is a mechanic and has "tuned" a vehicle or some there.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Awesome pics as always, Ray!

We always called that straight stretch (~6 miles?) the gun barrel.

I gotta wonder what AST's record speeding ticket is there. My friend's son in Fbx is a mechanic and has "tuned" a vehicle or some there.

Lots of people got speeding tickets in that stretch of road when the speed limit was 55, but the worst speed trap is not there anymore. It's now right by Delta Junction as you come in from Fort Greely. As you get closer to Delta Junction, without warning the speed drops to 55MPH, and then without warning to 45MPG by the time you are by the bridge. When you het to the bridge the speed again drops to 35MPH. The trooper will be right on the Delta Junction side of the bridge, facing out For Greely.

Anyway, watch out for the speed limit signs as soon as you pass Fort Greely on the way to Delta Junction. I have a lot of respect for the Alaska troopers, but not for the ones setting speed traps near military installations. All they are doing there has nothing to do with road safety, but a money scam. Also, got to be careful when driving past Donnelly Dome, because in some areas the speed limits aren't properly marked. So you are doing 65, and all of the sudden come upon a 55MPH sign and a police cruiser nearby.

Last edited by Ray; 06/23/18.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Decided to post a few more images of the areas above:
This is the old cabin I mentioned above, the former Black Rapids Roadhouse. You can see a new building on the background, which is a hotel that was built a couple of years ago. It's not very busy, probably because of its remote location, but I have heard that some weddings have taken place in it, and I imagine that it would be the perfect place to rent a room for about a month when the Auroras show. The view from there is nothing but spectacular.
[Linked Image]

The following 3 photos is of Gunnysack Creek, which is just a few yards from the old Roadhouse
[Linked Image]

The hotel is right on top of this bluff, and the old roadhouse is by the road at the left of the bluff
[Linked Image]

Looking to the left from the photo above, that's the bridge over Gunnysack Creek. Right after going over the bridge you will come upon an Army training center
[Linked Image]

You will have lots of opportunities to see views like this one on your way to Summit Lake:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ray; 06/24/18.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now, coming back on the Richardson a few miles back toward the bridge. Pull off the road to the point where the Alaska pipeline zigzags down the mountain to Phelan Creek, this is what you see:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnysack Creek and the old roadhouse are just about 1/4 mile ahead as you come back
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ray; 06/24/18.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.