Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CORDrew Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm beginning the process of learning to reload. I have zero experience and unfortunately don't have any friends or relatives to learn from. That said, I'm very thorough with research and very meticulous and careful. I've been a recreational shooter almost all if my life and understand firearms well. I haven't purchased any reloading equipment yet, and I'm currently looking for the best resources (books, websites, etc) to learn the basics and help me select equipment.

I'm hoping to reload for my hunting rifles (308, 06, 6.5cm, 223) to maximize accuracy with my preferred bullets and in the future I'd love to buy/build some rifles in some more obscure chamberings (7wsm, 358 win, etc)

Thanks so much for any recommendations or advice

-Andrew

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Start with a good leading manual, just about any will do. Read the reloading instructions in the front several times.

Start simple.

Add complexity later.

Here's a recent thread relating to your situation:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../12927445/just-starting-out#Post12927445

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Start out with one or two reloading manuals. Like antelope_sniper said, there are several good choices. I'd pick the ones by bullet manufacturers you think you are likely to use. I have Hornady, Speer and Nosler. All three do a great job of explaining the process. I also have Lee's Modern Reloading, 2nd Ed, and Lyman's 48th Reloading Manual. Also very good. You can do a youtube search: learn to reload. Look like some good videos on the subject. Caveat, I wouldn't substitute those videos for having a reputable manual, but I imagine those videos are probably helpful.

You'll hear a lot of opinions on what brand of equipment to get. Everyone has their favorites.

Online Reloading Equipment suppliers:

MidwayUSA

Midsouth Shooters Supply

Natchez Shooters Supply

Graf & Sons

Cabelas

Sinclair International

You can check around to see what local suppliers you have. You'll want to do that anyways since it's best to purchase powder locally if available.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
With so much information on the web today I would watch some videos first and get the process down first.
If you want a book get a couple used ones off ebay to start with no sense in blowing a lot of $ on books put that money into tools like a good set of mechanical calipers.
Get your books and read them take your time with it.
On equipment like said above everyone has their own opinion so alot of reviews out there.
A Lee single stage kit would be the cheapest to get you started with.

This video is a great starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDL9tUnfVQ

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You are going to get plenty of help with reloading via the Campfire once you get going. Unless you want to do it all at once, maybe you could start on your first project by picking the 30-06 or 308. Both are respected and popular rounds, with a wide choice of bullets and many widely known and tested reloading recipes. Obviously, they use the same .308 bullets, so your initial inventory of bullets will be available for some trials in both cartridges. The primers will be shared and some powders will also lend themselves to double duty. When you get comfortable accustomed to the process with one cartridge, you can start on the next. "Comfortable" suggests relaxation, so I will correct that term. Safety and accuracy are imperative, reloading can be a stress-reliever later, when you are experienced AND discover the Zen of success. You may "graduate" from a single stage press to a progressive some day, but start simply and build your reloading ability before you think of how many rounds per hour you might churn out.

Watch the Youtube videos (maybe more than once if some process is not very clear) and read the front pages of several reloading manuals (also more than once) for some guidance and when things don't seem to make sense. Each manual has a style, some are more readable, some more detailed. You might also look for a local gun club and make friends with the reloader folks there.

I try to buy my stuff locally, especially 1) powder and 2) primers, which avoids the hazardous materials fee and shipping fees. Bullets, dies, presses, brass, powder measures and such may be available in your zip code or you can order online. I have not used Ebay, but I have heard of some items being offered for sale, maybe over retail price, tho. Look also for the announcements for gun shows in your area and plan to attend with your want list and some cash. Reloaders often sell items (wallflowers, larks or duplicates) so their curiosity can go in another direction or so there is more room in the reloading area. You may meet new friends (and maybe a mentor) in the process. Don't overlook the Campfire Classifieds. Bargains are available.

When you get going, remember to keep good records and try to learn from every step of the process. Targets and a notebook/journal are often helpful, since you will probably have other things happening in your life and memory of the details tends to fade. Some of my earliest loads from 50 years ago are still favorites; some missteps have not been repeated because I reviewed my notes. My shooting is better now, and so are my notebooks, because of those details scribbled on targets or written into my journal.

And remember to keep your reloading area clean, tidy and organized. I haven't personally had problems, but the stories from others have convinced me to have ONLY one powder on my bench at a time, to double-check the loading manual often, and to never let down my guard for any reason. Pay attention to your task. That has kept me from some of the common mistakes. Reloading is great fun and you will be able to shoot more often, more economically, with YOUR specific goals in mind, and be a better marksman, having fun, rolling your own.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CORDrew
I'm beginning the process of learning to reload. I have zero experience and unfortunately don't have any friends or relatives to learn from. That said, I'm very thorough with research and very meticulous and careful. I've been a recreational shooter almost all if my life and understand firearms well. I haven't purchased any reloading equipment yet, and I'm currently looking for the best resources (books, websites, etc) to learn the basics and help me select equipment.

I'm hoping to reload for my hunting rifles (308, 06, 6.5cm, 223) to maximize accuracy with my preferred bullets and in the future I'd love to buy/build some rifles in some more obscure chamberings (7wsm, 358 win, etc)

Thanks so much for any recommendations or advice

-Andrew

Step 1: Buy the Sierra reloading manual, and don't buy anything else.

Step 2: Read the How To section.

Step 3: Buy stuff as needed.

The 308, .30-'06, and 223 you mentioned are good cartridges to learn on.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Start with a good leading manual, just about any will do. Read the reloading instructions in the front several times.

Start simple.

Add complexity later.

Here's a recent thread relating to your situation:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../12927445/just-starting-out#Post12927445

^ This ^

Start with .223, it is easy and inexpensive to get accurate rounds. This will build confidence. Move to the bigger ones later.

Load for accuracy first, velocity second.

Don't believe traditional "pressure signs" no matter what anyone or any book says.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Actually, and this has never changed for me, make friends with an experienced handloader. Then, if on your own, ask yourself how you learn best. If by reading, the above advice is good. If hands on, then GO SLOW. Keep records and, until you have experience, avoid "pushing the envelope" outside published data, and KEEP SAFE. The internet also has a lot of dopey advice.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The four cartridges you mentioned are an all star lineup to help you learn the ropes. They are easy to work with and all the top gear and components are made for them.

I've been handloading for so long that I haven't studied the how to sections in several editions worth of manuals, but I do recall the Lyman manual as having a good one and I doubt they've screwed it up.

There are a lot of options, but try not to get a case of paralysis by analysis. Very good results may be achieved using basic equipment. Here's one example of a good starter kit:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/976394/lyman-brass-smith-ideal-c-frame-reloading-kit

You'll need to add a case trimmer. A lot of guys use the inexpensive ones from Lee.

Of course you'll need dies. Let's assume 308 Winchester to get started. Here's a nice start:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/673835/lee-ultimate-4-die-set

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You're getting great suggestions. This might be the only part of 24HCF where that regularly happens! laugh

The how-to sections of the manuals are great. Reading a few different ones will give you some perspective about the process. FWIW, see if your area has a state-wide library loaning process. I was able to get several different reloading manuals shipped into my local library: saved me a lot of $ from having to go buy them.

Even as an unabashed cheapskate, though, I'd suggest plunking down the cash for JB's The Big Book of Gun Gack. It quickly zeroes-in on the aspects of hand loading that actually make a difference in accuracy. It saved me so much wasted time & effort. Plus, there are the parts that get into the quirks of specific cartridges - them's good, too.

I'm also partial to the advice about avoiding, "paralysis by analysis." Yes, you definitely want to be careful, but if you exercise some decent attention to detail you'll be fine. There are plenty of us doing this who aren't rocket scientists, who can still turn out accurate ammo, and even still have the preponderance of our digits!

Good Luck,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on JB's Gun Gack! It's very good reading, even for the experienced.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes, JB's book is very good.

There are handloading dvd's on Amazon.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lots of good advice given already.... couple of tangential thoughts:

Load a few. Shoot a few. Find out what works for you before you whip up a batch of 1-200. Your tastes will change.

The Lee Classic Turret Press is about the same price as a single stage press. It's a lot faster, and will do practically anything that a single stage press will do.

The same principles that work for everyone will work for you. If you're curious, there are a lot of technical issues you can explore. But you don't need to do that to make outstanding ammunition. As stated, keep it simple.

There is abundant reloading info online at the Western Powder, Alliant, and Hodgdon web sites. But get good manuals and read the "how to" sections.

Right here is a great place to get help and advice from others.

Be not weary in well doing.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I started out several years ago just as you are now. The best piece of advice I received was to buy The ABCs of Reloading. This is an excellent resource that put me in the right direction.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, even if you think you should know the answer. I got a ton of great direction from people on this site. I even copied some responses into a Word file so I could save them.

Ask, ask, ask.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
CORDrew Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks everyone! All advice is much appreciated and the resources given look great. I'm going to keep researching (and try to avoid paralysis by analysis) and make some equipment purchases soon. I'll likely start with my 30 cals, specifically the 308, and slowly build from there. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The 308 is a peach. What bullet weight would you like to start with? What brass do you have on hand?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I highly recommend buying Nathan Foster’s complete book series.
Website is ballisticstudies.com
There is an incredible amount of information in those books. I wish I could have started out with these books 25 years ago.

C
CORDrew Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have quite a bit of brass of different types. Been holding onto it for awhile with the intention of reloading it someday... Federal, Barnes, Nosler, Winchester. I'll start with 150 gr bullets. My rifle has shown a definite preference for 150s in factory ammo.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would be helpful to watch the u-tube videos if they haven’t been taken down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,848
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.