OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After Action Report Africa

June 2-14, 2018

Where: Fort Richmond Safari, Belmont, Northern Cape, South Africa

Purpose: 1). Second Annual Scout Rifle Safari
2). Conduct a refresher 270 rifle class and sight in for Gunsite alumni attending the 2nd annual safari.

Host: Richard Mann and the Wayland family who operates Fort Richmond Safari.

Rifle: .308 Ruger Gunsite Scout w/ Leupold 1.5x5 Scout scope, Andy’s Leather Rhodesian Sling, Tuff Products butt pouch.

Ammunition: Double Tap .308 150 grain. Barnes TTSX copper bullets.

Pistol: Colt 1911A1 (borrowed from PH) 230 hardball (beggars can’t be choosers).

Optics: 1). Leupold Mojave BX-3 12x50 binoculars.
2). Leupold TBR 1200 rangefinder

Narrative:
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 I started my adventure at Phoenix International Airport traveling to Kimberley, South Africa. I arrived 3 hours early to allow for issues that might arise. Glad I did. The trip was off to an ominous start with a 2-hour delay and issues with my rifle check-in, as British Airways “Gun Person” was not available to do the check in. Was told to take a seat and if/and when they became available they would come for me. They did. She must have been new. 40 minutes to complete the paperwork, check documents and such. Hung around the airport people watching. Got on the red-eye to London. Got settled into the emergency row seat and an hour into the flight took an Ambien and slept. They awoke me upon approach to tell me to put my seat in the upright position. Damn, that was a quick 11 hours!

In Heathrow I found a lounge to take a shower and hang out for my now shortened lay over. Had lunch, fish and chips, of course! But, Prescott Brewing Company’s are way better. Had another red-eye. Had an aisle seat with an empty seat between me and another passenger. Another Ambien and same story. We’ve arrived, June 4, 2018. Two days of travel!

Was greeted by Air2000, a meet and greet service. They got me to the gun permitting office, which was relatively painless and prompt. No hassles, no bribes. Was in and out in 15 minutes.

Met my cousin, Richard Hartman, who was on a different safari. Had breakfast at his hotel and he let me shower and freshen up. We said good-bye and parted ways.

Made my way to the domestic flights and left for Kimberley.

Upon arrival I was met by my PH, Leon DuPlessis, a doctor by trade who takes the hunting season off to guide. We hit it off. We ran some errands stocking up as we were going to be the first group of the season.

We arrived at the lodge at approx. 2030. Was greeted by the owners Geoffrey and Victoria Wayland and their 2-year old, Chari. The campfire was roaring, and drinks and appetizers were served. After talking and getting to know each other steaks were thrown on the fire. In just an hour or so I felt as if I had known all these folks for years. They are all down to earth folks. The ranch I was going to hunt has been in their family since the 1870s. It is approximately 34,000 acres and they run cattle and sheep.

The lodging was comfortable and well appointed.

Finally, June 5, 2018! My first day afield. Went to the range and verified my zero. Gun was still on. I put a 200 yard zero on it before I left. I put a D.O.P.E. card on the stock for my various holds from 100 to 400 yards.

I was introduced to our Tracker, Paul. We loaded up in the hunting truck and off we went.

My goal was: Kudu, Black Wildebeest, White Blesbok, Springbok, Zebra, Red hartebeest and Warthogs, as they were encountered. And anything else that Africa may have offered up.

We would drive until game was spotted, dismount and start the stalk. We saw plenty of the above species, except Kudu. We spent the morning of day one trying to get close to the Wildebeest and Blesbok, to no avail. The morning went by too quickly. It was back to the lodge for brunch and a nap.

That afternoon we spotted a herd of Zebra that kept taking off on us. We dismounted and started what ended up being an approximately 2-mile stalk. We got way out in front of them and they slowly made their way towards us. What seemed like eternity, one of them in the herd, with a nice pattern, presented a 310-yard broadside shot. From a seated position, with the sling tight on my arm and braced on a pair of sticks I held for the mane on the top of the shoulders, knowing that I had a 7.7-inch drop at that distance. I pressed the trigger and was rewarded with a resounding thud as the bullet found its mark and the animal fell where it stood.

Hand shakes all around and the obligatory pictures were completed. I can’t express the exhilaration from my first African animal, and all the subsequent animals that I took.

Richard Mann, gun writer and blogger (Empty Cases Blog), and his film crew arrived in camp upon our return. It was good to catch up with him and his son, Bat.

June 6, 2018 was a very productive day. In the morning while trying to check a Black Wildebeest off my list a nice Springbok ram was spotted at 297 yards. We couldn’t get any closer. It was in an open area with no cover or concealment between us and him. I looped up and took a prone position. I put air between his shoulder and cross hairs and pressed the trigger. He ran in a circle with a double lung shot and fell over.

Smiles, handshakes and pictures once again. What a gift!

Back to the lodge for lunch and reflection of the morning.

After lunch at approximately 1430, we encountered a herd of Blesbok. Leon and Paul pointed out a nice white ram. At 200 yards from a braced kneeling and a looped sling I held dead on its shoulders. As I pressed the trigger the ram moved forward, and I hit him further back than I had intended, which resulted in a gut shot. A quick stalk ensued, and I was able to anchor him. I still feel bad about that first shot.

What a beautiful animal! We loaded the animal up to take to the skinning shed.

While heading back to the shed I finally saw my first Warthog. What a beautifully, ugly animal! At 25 yards the Scout Rifle found its mark.

Back at the lodge in the evening the campfire was ablaze. Cocktails, appetizers and reflections. That night for dinner Zebra back-straps from the previous day was served. Probably my favorite game meat.

June 7, 2018 saw us atop of Kudu Mountain at daybreak glassing for Kudu. We saw 6 cows. No bulls.

While driving back to the lodge I had another chance to take a Warthog. At approximately 75 yards the Scout Rifle snapped to my shoulder. As soon my crosshairs touched the shoulders I pressed off the shot and was again rewarded with another African gift.

The rest of the day was uneventful, as we couldn’t get close enough to the Black Wildebeest to get a shot.

June 8, 2018 saw us out after Kudu again. We blew a stalk on a 45” bull.

Once again, the Black Wildebeest would not cooperate. But, I was able to double down on two Warthogs. One went down immediately at about 30-35 yards. The second was hit farther back as it took off. It went down, and I finished that one off with a head shot using the 1911.

June 9, 2018 was a rather slow day, with us attempting to put the move on Black Wildebeest, Gemsbuck and Red Hartebeest. Nothing that was shootable or way out of range for the Scout Rifle. My personal limit with that rifle is 350 yards.

Another double on Warthogs. Again, finishing one with the 1911 coup de grace.

June 10, 2018 resulted in no animals taken. But, the views and the animals spotted and stalked were worth the price of admission!

June 11, 2018 found us out after Kudu again. Saw cows but no bulls. The morning was unproductive animal wise. Just being there was awesome. Once again, back to the lodge for a great meal and a nap.

That afternoon we spotted a herd of Red Hartebeest and the stalk was on. We were able to get within 200 yards after some crouching and crawling. From a looped sitting position using a rock as a rest I held dead on the shoulders. The trigger was pressed and down it went!

Smiles and hand shakes all around. No pictures, as I left my camera and cell phone on the chargers back at the lodge. Ugh!

That evening the contingent of the 2nd Annual Scout Rifle Safari arrived in camp. 5 hunters in all. All are Gunsite graduates. For the plains game portion of the hunt 4 of them were using Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifles in .308. 1 was using a Ted Yost Gunsite built rifle on a Sako action in .308 with a 2.5 Leupold Scout scope. The others were equipped with Leupold 1.5x5 Scout scopes. 2 of them would use lever guns from the Marlin Custom Shop in .45-70 to take Cape Buffalo.

While I was hunting Richard Mann, Bat and Geoffrey were putting together a stalking course / range with various steel targets out to 300 yards for a mini rifle/refresher course.

I know all the folks from various classes they have taken at Gunsite. Sundowners were shared around the campfire and I filled them in on my time, thus far. I was anointed a Warthog Ace, with 5 to my credit. Was given some alcohol concoction to drink out of a Warthog shaped shot glass. It wasn’t bad and not sure what it was.

June 12, 2018 found all hunters and PH’s heading to the rifle range. Richard and I conducted a refresher Gunsite rifle class for the new arrivals. We sighted them in with the practice ammo, which Richard arranged from Hornady ammunition. Each hunter was given 100 rounds to practice with. We worked on safety and muzzle discipline, position shooting (sticks, braced kneeling, sitting), sling usage, rifle snaps, running the bolts, keeping the rifle topped off, etc.…

We ran a competition where the hunter was teamed with their respective PH for the week. They stood shoulder to shoulder and on the start, they worked as a team. The PH would position the sticks for two shots standing, two kneeling and two sitting. Time and accuracy were scored. 1st place was given an Eland on the next safari. A Meerkat was the last place prize.

Each hunter walked the shooting course twice. Once with Richard shooting their practice ammo. As they came back they sighted in with their actual hunting ammo and walked it again with their PH.

The PH’s were pleased with the class as they were able to see their hunter shoot, other than just confirming zero, and they got to work with them as a team prior to the hunt. They saw the confidence in the hunter and their shooting abilities. Thus, they were more confident in their client.

Richard and the other PH’s continued the shooting course and when Leon, my PH was done with his client, we headed off with Paul, the tracker, for my last hunt that afternoon.

At approximately 1445 that afternoon, we crested a hill to see a herd of Black Wildebeest in front of us. I lasered the herd at 342 yards. Paul pointed out a bull. There was no time to alight from the hunting truck. I looped up and braced against the truck. I held on the back and pressed the trigger. Down it went.
I did have my cameras this time.

Smiles, handshakes and yes, pictures!

I got another double on Warthogs! 8 for the trip.

About an hour or so before sundown we spotted a herd of Gemsbok and the stalk began. After walking and crawling for quite awhile we were within 200 yards of the herd. With light fading there were no bulls in the herd.

We made our way back to the truck. Leon had three beers in the cooler. We toasted the week and watched the sunset. Probably the best tasting beer I’ve ever had. Along with the shortest week!

Animals taken:
Zebra, Springbok, White Blesbok, Red Hartebeest, Black Wildebeest, 8 Warthogs.

Misc. Info: Ate Zebra (my favorite), Springbok, kudu, Blesbok, Red Hartebeest, which were all great.

African wines, especially the reds were a favorite.

Castle-lite beer was terrible. Castle Lager was good.

Laundry service was quick and frequent. Pictures and more to follow

Last edited by OCSarge; 06/26/18.
GB1

OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Trophies: I’m having the animals processed in country at African-San Taxidermy.

Zebra: flat skin.
Springbok: shoulder mount.
White Blesbok: shoulder mount.
Red Hartebeest: European mount. Skin.
Black Wildebeest: European mount. Skin.
Warthogs: Larger tusks on a plaque. The rest polished and sent to me loose to make keychains and such.

What I thought was going to be a once in a lifetime trip, well, maybe not…. The Kudu awaits.

Further Info:

I booked through African Odysseys. They took care of gun permit fees and Air2000.

The worst part of the whole trip was the British Airways return flights. No fault to them, though. Had a kicking screaming toddler behind me from Johannesburg to London. Ambien couldn't keep me from being jarred awake. From London to Phoenix I couldn't get comfortable. I also had a coughing, sneezing, hacking passenger behind me. Two days after returning home I was as sick as a dog. Thankfully I had the weekend to recover before returning to work.

Will get pictures up as soon as I can.

Respectfully to all,
Dave

Last edited by OCSarge; 06/27/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the report! Need Pics.

Do or do not, there is no try.
OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Last edited by OCSarge; 06/28/18.
OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

IC B2

OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave
Very cool!!!!!!
Nice report.
Something I used to think I would do, but that time has passed.
I have to settle for feedback such as yours and really enjoyed it.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tim,

I did take one of your knives. But, it didn't get bloodied. The Trackers do all the work. When I saw how they treated their knives, sharping them on a jagged rock. Well, your knife stayed in the sheath.

It'll get bloodied here in AZ this year. We drew deer and cow elk tags.

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just curious, but why did you feel the need to borrow and carry a handgun?

You are the only hunter whose safari overview included any discussion of a handgun.

I have long had the impression that civilian ownership and use of handguns is very limited and/or tightly controlled in every country except for the U.S.A.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave
I am always ready to refurbish one of my knives that got tired from use.
Not overly happy to see abuse, but in that setting I would not call it abuse.
Cool trip though. Like to see the knives get to travel (they are my proxy).

Did you get to eat some of the meat you harvested??? How was it????

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 07/03/18.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
OCSarge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Just a comfort thing. I feel naked without one. I've been carrying a handgun daily in one uniform or another, plain clothes and off-duty since I was 19, and continue to do so. I made arrangements with the PH before I left to borrow his 1911. I really didn't need it.

Myself and Richard Mann were the only two that discussed carrying a handgun while there. Richard borrowed a handgun on his prior hunts there. The day before I left I handed the 1911 over to Richard. I took a custom holster and a few accessories, which I left with the PH. Good equipment there is expensive and hard to come by.

From talking to him, and I'm paraphrasing, so don't hold me to a possible misinterpretation, they can own 4 registered guns. One of which can be designated for self defense. Now, if they belong to a club, sport shooting, hunting they can own more than four if they can show a need and get permission. So, as long as the gun is registered and designated for self-defense it can be carried open or concealed. I saw more than a few people in the Kimberley area carrying handguns openly.

Tim,

We had wild game each night. I ate Zebra, which was my favorite, slightly sweet with a grainy texture. They also served Springbok, Kudu, Red Hartebeest, and Impala. It was all good. Didn't get to try the Black Wildebeest, which was probably served after I was gone. Nothing went to waste, as they have about 20 staff members with family that live on the concession. The meat is divided among them.

Respectfully,

Dave

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Interesting about the handguns...we should take notes, and NOT let that crap happen in this country!
Also...zebra is one of my all time faves! Everything else you mentioned is good...I have had black wildebeest and it( along with waterbuck) was one I didnt care for...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zebra-----To me that's Africa.

I'm headed over there in August.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Zebra-----To me that's Africa.

I'm headed over there in August.

GOOD for you!

Where, and what are you hunting?

You know, we will need a similar after action report from you!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunting by the Limpopo River. Hunting black death next to Kruger & the several days of tiger fishing. 375 Ruger is loaded & locked !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Hunting by the Limpopo River. Hunting black death next to Kruger & the several days of tiger fishing. 375 Ruger is loaded & locked !

You suck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.