-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Browning 1895 re-bored to 35 Whelen and a Winchester 1895 ca. 1900 in 30US (30-40). Both produce nice groups. The Winchester has a full buckhorn rear sight (first one I've ever seen) and a very long barrel (I'm thinking 28 inches!) I'm at the other house right now so I can't check. All the blue is gone and replaced with a nice silver patina.

The Browning, on the other hand, looks new. I'm not too keen on the blocky shape of the forend but it doesn't interfere with it's use. The Whelen smacks pretty hard with the metal butt plate so I slipped a leather butt cuff on it. That really helps.

I've never hunted with either. My hunting with early 20th century rifles has been limited to my old Savage 99s.

Referencing kaywoodie's photo, I also have a Krag that shoots great and a couple Remington model 81s and a model 8.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't specifically answer on heavy bullets but I assume it has the standard 1:10" twist as do most all .30-06 rifles so it should handle 220 grain bullets just as well as the rest of them. Being a Miroku I'd bet it would be as accurate as any lever rifle out there.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by JGray
I mounted this Providence Tool Co. #21 copy on my 80’s Vintage Browning.

[Linked Image]

Now!!!!! If you decide to do this you will and I say again, YOU WILL need to fabricate a front sight blade that is this high,

[Linked Image]

In order to get it to sight in.

This is because the manufacturer made the aperture base high enough to use one of the Marbles 3/4” screw in apertures. And you have to tap their aperture yourself if you want to use a screw in. They do not provide the screw in aperture. And if you want to use a screw in aperture you best use a Marbles as they are 10x32 thread. Lyman is a real bastid of a thread.

[Linked Image]

Now the quality of the Brownings and Japchesters to me is top notch. But what do I know?

Interesting - I have a Winchester repro in 405 Win with the Providence Tool #21 sight and it sighted in fine for me with the factory front sight.

Yeah! I understand that the manufacturer changed the aperture holder thingy on their sights not long back. Mebbe a year or so? Because I took a pair of their sights off of a pair of a customers Japchesters about 4 ot 5 years ago and the old sights were a bit different (more Lyman-ish) than the pair I received back in February. Below is a shot of the manufacturer’s “caveat” card that came with the sights.

[Linked Image]

That would explain it - I set mine up at least 10 or more years ago so must have one of the older ones.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
JGray! You lucky dawg! They are nice!!!! Yours is probably color case hardened isn’t it?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
TexasShooter;

The original factory barrel lengths on the standard rifle in .30 US Army and .303 British were 28”! Sometime around WWI or soon after I believe they went to the 24” barrel on those two cartridge offerings in the std rifle configuration. I truely can’t remember just when now.

Funny! Take and set a standard ‘95 saddle ring carbine next to a standard 24” bbl rifle sometime. They aint just a lot of difference laugh. Other that 2” off the barrel on the SRC. The weight is dawg gone close to the same! laugh

Founder

WS

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
JGray! You lucky dawg! They are nice!!!! Yours is probably color case hardened isn’t it?

The rifle receiver is color case hardened but the sight is blued (not sure which you were referring to). It is my favorite lever action - shoots extremely well and all the negative feedback I've heard on the looks/ergonomics/balance of the 1895 turned out to be a non-issue for me.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"All the negative feedback I've heard on the looks/ergonomics/balance of the 1895 turned out to be a non-issue for me."

DITTO!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That one 1895 on gunbroker started at $875 went for $1000 even. The other one started at $799 is only at $805 but still has two hours to go. The seller for that latter one seems a bit dodgy from the feedback, plus his description sends up signals to me that he's a real BS'er, but you never know, could be a real deal there.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I kinda picked up on that too. I passed on both. One guy wanted $75 to ship it. Im not in a huge hurry and ill find the right one. Dont let that stop yall from posting some more pics and advice.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I picked the Browning in 30-06 as it is a closer copy of the original, it does not have a tang safety or rebounding hammer. The fit and finish are excellent. I use the Providence Tool sight without a screw in aperture, with a pre 1982 copper penny front sight blade, taller than the original sight. Slower heavier bullets will hit higher at 100 yards than faster 150 grain bullets.

You mentioned heavy bullets earlier. I shoot 220 grain Sierras and 220 grain Nosler partitions in mine with book loads of H4831, and get just under 2500 fps. The Nosler takes a .5 grain less powder to achieve the same velocity as the Sierra, and both shoot to near identical point of impact at 150 yards, close enough where no sight adjustment is needed. The Sierra rounds noses are priced pretty well, and if you get the 220 partitions as blems from Pro Shooters you can get a good deal. An inch and a half high at 100 will put you about dead on at 150 with these 220's, and about 9 inches low at 250 yards, about my limit on these bullets due to velocity dropping off for reliable expansion. A center hold from 0-200 yards will work with these loads.

Seeing the prices that JM marked Marlin 357's are going for these days, I think a Browning 1895 in good shape is a steal.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited by mannyspd1; 06/26/18.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Harvested with 1895 Browning, 30/06, plain old Factory Remington 180 grn. RN corelokt ammo. 2015, second rifle. About 100 yard shot.

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.