Print Thread
Hop To
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a bottom metal that needs to be refinished, which is more durable?

GB1

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anodizing, especially Type III hard anodizing (like an AR15) is much more durable than any paint( includes Cerakote).. Type II decorative anodizing ( can be glossy like a scope tube) is also better. However, anodizing is more expensive than painting.

RAN

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ive been applying Cerakote for a long time now. It holds up pretty well even under holster wear in a kydex holster. Also how much more would that cost is it worth it?

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anodizing is much more durable. What exactly are you trying to do? How is the bottom metal currenly finished? I assume it’s aluminum if your asking about anodizing. If it’s Aluminum and has been previously anodized, it can’t be re-anodized.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taking you mean aluminum, between anodizing and Ceracoat I choose one of Brownells spray epoxies. Cheaper, easier, less hassle and pretty durable, much more so than your average hardware store spray paints. That's for average use firearms of course. I particularly like the one you cure in an oven.

--------------------------

Stopped in to Brownell's web site and it looks like the baking lacquer is being discontinued. PTFE/Moly Oven Cure Gun Finish appears to be their replacement but it's new to me. Alumna-Hyde II would be my second choice. Easy to touch up when it does wear as they all do eventually.

Hint: When you're done painting immediately invert the can and clear the nozzle or you'll be soaking the nozzle in acetone. The paint contains more solids than any other spray paint I've used, which is good, but really makes the nozzle want to clog up.

Last edited by nighthawk; 06/24/18.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Anodizing is much more durable. What exactly are you trying to do? How is the bottom metal currenly finished? I assume it’s aluminum if your asking about anodizing. If it’s Aluminum and has been previously anodized, it can’t be re-anodized.

Sir, that is incorrect. I have had several parts over the years stripped of old anodize and reanodized.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sort of— the existing anodized surface would have to be mechanically removed before a part could be anodized again. Anodizing is not an applied coating. It's controlled oxidation.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I think I'm going to go with anodizing, anyone have a recommendation from someone they have used?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bt8897
I think I'm going to go with anodizing, anyone have a recommendation from someone they have used?

Too bad you're not close. I'm taking another lot in a couple days. Problem is the minimum lot charge.

The anodize person that I have used for 38 years has stripped the old anodize in their tanks and then anodized them to the color I wanted.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have used US Anodizing with good results. Another I have seen is http://techplate.com/firearms.htm. I have no experience with them, but the website looks impressive.

RAN

IC B3

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Too bad you're not close. I'm taking another lot in a couple days. Problem is the minimum lot charge.

The anodize person that I have used for 38 years has stripped the old anodize in their tanks and then anodized them to the color I wanted.

Could I ship my floorplate to them to get in on your lot? Im looking for the color of a rust blue finish?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yes, it can.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Could I ship my floorplate to them to get in on your lot? Im looking for the color of a rust blue finish?

Too late this time. Dropped off my parts this morning. Will get them back on Friday. You may get a better match with a good Cerrokote job.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.