24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi, My question is what do you guys use to reduce the noise on excaliber crossbows. I have the screw on rubber pads but they don't help much. Is there anything you would recommend putting on the string? I'm just a hunter, not into the top of line stuff and the Matrix series works fine for what I need. I haven't had a deer jump the string yet, but the noise is there. Thanks

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My experience with the Excals tells me you are stuck with what you have. A friend (best man at my wedding) has one and we have tried but it has been pointless.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't worry about it. You will not be taking multiple shots, and the deer doesn't have time to react much to it. A brass band would not make much difference. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I put innertube like material under bolt screws pout simms on limbs use heavy bolts . bout half as quiet . It is still loud .they are just noisy.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The best you can do is a Flemish string and heavy arrows. It will never be "quiet" but it can be better.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. I'll just accept it as is.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In all seriousness, what does a deer do the moment it hears the release? Drops down a bit to dig in to leap, right? Then it comes up slightly as the muscles bunch and motion starts forward. In that short moment, that 150lb crossbow has thrown that arrow (bolt) through that deer at 40 -50 yards. It's already over. There's no time for more than a slight movement, and second shots are very rare. I. Really don't worry about it.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lately I been seeing more contraptions attached to the bow limbs. On the newer Excalibur bows.

Heavy bolts / broadheads...... felt taping the limbs distally may help. The Koda bow uses split limbs to stop the " slap" of string to limb.

Quieter the better. Especially in multiple tag scenarios.

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/29/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
they are nice bows, but one of the reason I did not choose one was that it was noisy. The reason I went to the Parker Thunder Hawk, lighter and quieter. The noise is more annoying to you, as I do not see a deer, jumping that bow its that fast, and as stated above, its already over with before you know it. I do like the looks of the recurve limbs and for remote long hunts, the ease of string replacement, so that bow has a lot of pluses going for it..........................

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kellory
In all seriousness, what does a deer do the moment it hears the release? Drops down a bit to dig in to leap, right? Then it comes up slightly as the muscles bunch and motion starts forward. In that short moment, that 150lb crossbow has thrown that arrow (bolt) through that deer at 40 -50 yards. It's already over. There's no time for more than a slight movement, and second shots are very rare. I. Really don't worry about it.

What is the speed of the bolt? I think on closer shots,maybe under 50 yards, it matters more about the deer than about the device slinging the arrow. I've had very nervous deer jump a 300 fps arrow at 35 yards. He may not have been able at 15 yards,but compared to the speed of sound,any arrow or bolt is slow. A nervous deer could jump any arrow or bolt at 50 yards unless it is several times faster than 300 fps. I guess I feel any type bow hunting should be close range and 50 would be a very rare max for me,even though I could easily group arrows at 50.It would have to be harder to jump a string on closer shots,no matter the noise level or speed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/master-class/2013/05/crossbow-compound-bow-hunting-myth

Crossbows are often compared to their compound cousins, and with good reason. They both share many of the same components. There are, however, three popular myths.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

Myth: Crossbows generate outlandish amounts of kinetic energy compared to compounds.

Fact: Math is math--The average crossbow generates roughly 80 to 100 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. A crossbow developing 300 feet per second (fps) with a 420-grain arrow generates 86.78 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. A compound shooting a 350-grain arrow at 335 fps generates 87.24 foot-pounds of kinetic energy.

Myth: A crossbow is not a bow.

Fact: It's not a compound bow. Nor is a compound a recurve bow just as a recurve is not a spear. And oddly enough, a spear is not a rock.

In the late 1960s and early '70s when compounds were introduced, no archery traditionalist considered them bows either. Both bows are powered by limbs, which are drawn and captured by a crossbow trigger or compound's mechanical release.

Myth: Crossbows are deadlier than compounds at exaggerated distances.

Fact: Compounds are deadly at exaggerated distances too. Both weapons are amazing mechanical machines in the hands of a highly-trained and skilled archer. The effective range of either weapon is really only limited by the ability of those bending their limbs.

Tags: Hunting Gear Bowhunting TenPoint Crossbow Hunting

I have shot targets with compound bows at 70yards, but I will not take a shot at a live animal at more than 45-50yards for ethical reasons.
I took one small buck (4 point at 7yards with a bent sapling and my bootlace.) Its not that complicated. Arrows matter more than what throws it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crossbows are plagued by poor bolt ballistic performance.

Getting a bolt to " fly" or at least not succumb to gravity as fast, will improve the crossbow leaps and bounds compared to another 15 fps of velocity in my opinion.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There's plenty of video out there showing deer jumping string with compounds and crossbows. Some from as close as 15-20 yards. One that sticks in my mind the most clearly shows a deer completely swap ends and take the arrow in the left side, when it was the right side the arrow was launched at. Anyone who thinks a deer hasn't got time to react before an arrow from the fastest crossbow arrives from 50 yards is an idiot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
367 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.