Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My sister has a bunch of ADF&G folks at her place across the inlet doing an eradication project on pike in Tukallah Lake, Three-Mile to locals. First they caught a bunch of pike and ran a bunch of tests on a number of them but also tagged and released a bunch. By using the numbers recaptured versus the numbers tagged they should get a pretty good idea how many there were and how large a percentage they recaptured/killed.

Some very interesting things found so far..
A bunch of pike were found to be eating sockeye fry/smolts, from a run thought to have been wiped out quite a few years ago. Very good news! Silver fry/smolts have not been represented so they probably have been eliminated. The run used to be epic...

Many pike had small burbot in their guts... locals did not know there were burbot there.

Two pike were caught with baby muskrats in their guts. My brother-in-law has trapped there for years and has not seen a push-up in a decade.

They are now in the catch and kill mode with nets and have had over a 50% return on tagged fish which really surprised them. It indicates the pike population is much smaller than estimated.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If that lake were more accessible to our immigrant population, the pike would soon be eradicated.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some years back they had a small workover rig there with a bunch of coonasses and that probably slowed the growth...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always amazing how when a bit of effort is made to look into even a small ecosystem it proves to be much more complex and diverse than at first assumed. Critters are surprisingly resilient at times.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Are they able to eradicate to 100% using nets? Rotenone has been used down here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Are they able to eradicate to 100% using nets? Rotenone has been used down here.

I doubt they can get 100% due to large swampy areas in connected ponds. The plan is not to use rotenone... probably to save the sockeye in the lake.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Honestly I have no clue.. but I'll ask. Are hatcheries able to restart the silver salmon run if the pike are thinned?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Is there any way to cook pike to make it worthwhile?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Honestly I have no clue.. but I'll ask. Are hatcheries able to restart the silver salmon run if the pike are thinned?

Well, they can take fish from another run and plant them, but the particular strain of fish there had developed a specific set of traits over a long period of time and likely coped better than other fish from other streams. It should be a very good producer of salmon... a very small creek and a fair-sized lake with lots of frogwater for the fry to hide in.

Establishing runs in new systems has been hit and miss in the past.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by B_Johnson

No, pike from tea-stained water are going to taste like the swamp they grew up in. I have had a lot of very good pike, but it came from lakes with very clear water and no swampy stuff.

Cutting out the Y bones takes a little finesse but there is no point in trying with our swampy fish...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I understood corectly, getting rid of them may have some negative consequences.
As some one else said, messing around in ecosystems is more complicated than it would appear.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

About 80% of our clients prefer pike. Its very good eating although my favourite is arctic grayling. If you have access to pike, try it in a chowder.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
If I understood corectly, getting rid of them may have some negative consequences.
As some one else said, messing around in ecosystems is more complicated than it would appear.

They are not native to the area. Old timers missed them from home and decided to carry them over the Alaska Range. They have eliminated trout and salmon from many systems. Reducing them is a good thing...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by yukon254

About 80% of our clients prefer pike. Its very good eating although my favourite is arctic grayling. If you have access to pike, try it in a chowder.

It has everything to do with the water. Most pike here come from boggy stuff...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunting them in shallow spawning areas with a canoe and 22 rifles is great sport.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Hunting them in shallow spawning areas with a canoe and 22 rifles is great sport.

Absolutely! Got to do it in Lake Champlain in NY in college. Have done it up here, too.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I used to fish several small lakes off Chena Hot Springs Road. Besides frogs and aquatic insects apparently the only other thing to eat was pike. I once caught a fairly large pike with a partly digested smaller pike, with an almost digested even smaller pike inside.

There were sticklebacks in there, but I don't recall ever seeing one in a pike's stomach.

We joked that they f'ked all summer, and fed all winter...

My oldest brother, out of one of those lakes, once caught a pike slightly in excess of 20 pounds.

Most I ever got was about 5.

My favorite technique was to wade the shore in hippers unti I saw a v- darting out of the weeds, then I would cast a Rapala to it. Worked almost every time.

Last edited by las; 06/29/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Would Koyukuk or Kateel pike fall into the boggy/swampy stuff category?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Would Koyukuk or Kateel pike fall into the boggy/swampy stuff category?

I believe they would but have never eaten a pike from there. That is very boggy country.

There have only been a few lakes and rivers in AK where they pike I ate were not boggy tasting...a pike on a small tributary to the Kvichak that really got the best of my hand while I was trying to work out a deeply inhaled fly and some from Mineral Lakes along the Tok Cut-Off are the only AK pike I remember being good. I have tried to eat a lot of them...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The pike I caught in the Yuki and the Cosna were good.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the water in the Chatanika goes from muddy to clear depending upon how much rain and how recent we've had the rain.

Murphy Creek, has tannic acid or whatever it is that colors the water in it, but again depending upon water volume how brown or clear it appears.

All the pike we've taken from there have been toothsome.

Pike out of Lake Minchimuna were good eating too.

but the best I've had was from streams that connect the Ashiak (sp? ) lake chains in Canada. Right before that trip my dad had sent me a box of homegrown tomatoes from MO, I sent him sheep meat in return.

fresh caught Pike outa clear streams, fried potatoes and onions, fresh sliced maters mmmmmm, fit for a king, and even this joker got in on some of that good eating.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
The pike I caught in the Yuki and the Cosna were good.

Good and boggy?

wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK
If that lake were more accessible to our immigrant population, the pike would soon be eradicated.

U got that rite ...they would look at that lake as a one time use refrigerator...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I ate some pike last summer. The ones right after ice-out were actually good. The one I caught in the Kobuk was not!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The pike situation in SC Alaska is so bad that the ADFG regulations make illegal to return a live pike to the water.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the fire and thanks for starting on this thread!

You are absolutely correct.

The best news that came out of this first round of pike reduction was the fact the numbers were lower than expected... the fact a few sockeye have survived is just gravy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
288 members (204guy, 1minute, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 42 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,627
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.