Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Geno, a 1953 Ford tractor. The update to the 9N.[Linked Image]
the series went 9N,2N then 8N. 9 and 2 N's were a 3 speed and 8N's a 4 speed, not counting shermans. 8N's bring between $1500 to $2500 around here. I have one with a Davis loader that has been converted to power steering and 12 volt I would sell cheap.

GB2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
an NAA or Jubilee was the model after the 8N made 1952-1954 then the switch was to the hundred series

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
wabi, saddle, blanket, and others

Thanks for all that info. Still hard for me to believe something that old and hard used as the one near me goes for over $2500. Now, that restored one in the picture I can see selling for nice cash, looks to good to use almost.

I went over the hill to the first farmers mkt of the year in the next town over. There's a few tractors over there of various flavors for me to take a trip over and see about someday. My wife was with me and looking like she was ready to go home so i didn't stop today.

Once again, you folks all are a wealth of info and I'm glad we somehow managed to get this "rural forum" started.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
do a search on tractorhouse for ones for sale in your area. I would much rather have a D series AC like a D14 or D17 than an N series ford

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had my heart set on an 8n for my new place. I like old fords and always wanted an 8n. They are about 2k around here in good condition and about 3500 or so for a restored one. I looked at 4 or 5 and they were too rough for the asking price. Ended up having a '64 ford 2000 fall in my lap for a steal at 2200. It has the engine of an NAA/Jubilee but better hydraulics. I pull a 6' disc and a 5 foot bush hog and finish mower with mine. The major downside to the 8n is lack of live hydraulics. The pto has to be running for the lift to work. Its not that big of a deal once you get used to it. Buy an old tractor. Ive enjoyed the crap out of mine. they are easy to work on and cheap to fix. A comparable new tractor will cost you 18k easy. Keep good gas in it and change fluids once a year and an old ford will last you a lifetime.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Those old N series go for $2,000-$4,000 in this area depending on condition. For not much more you can get a Ford 3000-5000 series. You might look at one of those. Grandpa had a late 60'-early 70's 4000 with the diesel. That tractor would do more than it was originally intended for.

He went over yonder way
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
1800 -2500 here...not to popular anymore...just not big enough and very few small farms anymore...I would love to have one to rake hay...

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks again guys,

blanket, I'm guessing a "D series AC" is an Allis Chalmers? Don't recall having seen a one in this area, some Masseys, JD's, a Case or three, and newer New Hollands. I'll keep my eye out tho. Maybe back in the day there was no dealer support for them around here?

Phoneman and Heeler, I'll check on those newer ones like the 2000, 3000 series. Are those newer series much bigger? I really need small, especially if the greenhouse/high tunnel deal goes through. That and the back yard here would require something small also.

Sure appreciate all the help folks,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
there are 3cyl and 4 cyl 2000's. The 4 cyl is the same size as the jubilee/naa/600 series but has better hydraulics from what I understand.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love my little 2000. Big enough to pull 6' disc, and 5' bush hog. But small enough I cut my grass with the finish mower behind it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For light loader work a Ford was good.
No power steering,
Probably only has "up" hydraulics. Down is gravity, bucket is "dump".
Heavy work will cause problems.

For pulling, look for a JD "A" or a Farmall "H" from the same era.
Slightly less power, 1000 pounds heavier, they will drag a Ford around like nothing.

You never see any 8 or 9n tractors at tractor pulls. There is a reason.
A John Deere "B" at half the hp (12) will kick a Fords ass.

And no, I am not a green fanboy. Just facts.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
For light loader work a Ford was good.
No power steering,
Probably only has "up" hydraulics. Down is gravity, bucket is "dump".
Heavy work will cause problems.

For pulling, look for a JD "A" or a Farmall "H" from the same era.
Slightly less power, 1000 pounds heavier, they will drag a Ford around like nothing.

You never see any 8 or 9n tractors at tractor pulls. There is a reason.
A John Deere "B" at half the hp (12) will kick a Fords ass.

And no, I am not a green fanboy. Just facts.

The problem being however is that the JD and H are bigger in size. The OP wants./needs something smaller.I have driven the H ( we finally stepped up to an M) and also a JD A, B and JD 40. The JD 40 was close to the 8N in size,but with a little more power.. Replacing the Hydraulic control valve and adding two hydraulic rams to the bucket will replace the trip dump. Doesn't look like the OP has any heavy work slated for the further.The 8N is what is available to him and it think it would do what he wants. A Jubilee would be a bit better, a new tractor would be better yet, but the 8N is there

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks again guys,

blanket, I'm guessing a "D series AC" is an Allis Chalmers? Don't recall having seen a one in this area, some Masseys, JD's, a Case or three, and newer New Hollands. I'll keep my eye out tho. Maybe back in the day there was no dealer support for them around here?

Phoneman and Heeler, I'll check on those newer ones like the 2000, 3000 series. Are those newer series much bigger? I really need small, especially if the greenhouse/high tunnel deal goes through. That and the back yard here would require something small also.

Sure appreciate all the help folks,

Geno

yes Allis Chalmers they are taller than an N though

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks guys,

was going to take a trip up the road where that 8N is/was, but couldn't talk the wife into it today. Road from there heads up into the mountains and I wanted to look for berry patches etc. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to se eif it's still available and find out more info, like running condition and tires and such.

You guys are a trove of info, gotta love the innanet!

Geno

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would encourage you to think more about a new tractor. I have a lot of love and interest in the older stuff, makes me think of my Grandpa and my Father in Law and the great times on their farms. The facts however, are that 8N is much less useful, less comfortable, less safe, and less efficient with your time and money than a new offering. What will you spend in parts, repairs and down time?

Deere is running right now and will almost continuously run 0% for 60 mos on equipment like this. No interest and take five years to pay. Spending 15-20k on a new tractor with attachments will cost you $250-325 a month and at the end of the period your machine with care and maintenance will be worth not a lot less than you paid, and still be useful for many many years. You might find its easier and smarter to own new than you presently think.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BK,

Thanks, I'm considering it, especially if I can get the greenhouse thing going and turn this idea into a small farmers market type business, then I might be able to write of some/most/all of the tractor cost.

Not sure how much of the thread you read, and I'm not going back to check either in case I didn't mention it before, but I'm retired on a fixed income and $15-20K is not in the budget right now, especially with the other improvements we're making, like a $2500 deck covering (before installation), we'd like a 1200 gal water storage tank for emergency purposes (another $1000 + installation costs), renewing the gravel in the driveway and some other dirt materials for the yard. Heck, I can't even get my wife to agree on getting propane out here so I can get the house hooked up for a gas stove instead of the friggen electric one I HATE.

I'd sure love a new tractor, but I don't think it's gonna happen, and I see very few newer used ones around here, as they get sucked up as soon as they go on sale.

Thanks for the advice.

Geno

PS, $15-20K sure would pay for a couple of nice hunts too!

PPS, If I could afford it that is. wink

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/16/18.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.