Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I could use a smallish tractor around here. The one I've seen up the road for $2750 would likely suit my needs. Has a front loader bucket. No idea what year as I just pulled up to look at the price from the side of the road. I'm thinking about going back up the 40 mile or so drive to check into it further. For all I know it may not even run.

The local feed store owner says that price is "reasonable" around here, given the demand. Along with all the ranches and hay farms around here, there are many many small properties such as my own that need something along those lines. I thought it looked like a whole lot of $$$ for something that looks as old and well used as I am. grin Being retired and watching my economic outflow, I'm not really in the market for a new tractor of the JD, Kubota, Mahindra type, as nice as they appear to be.

I'm just wondering what you folks see in your neighborhoods.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

When i had to live in Kansas, 8Ns were being bought up and shipped to Africa as a 'learn to farm and feed yourself' program. Pushed prices higher than they were previously. IIRC, they were in the $2K to $3K range. Seemed high for a 50 yo tractor.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That's a fair price.They go for about $3k here .Some as high as $4k. I sold mine fr $2800twoyaersago,bucket and a blade.The bucket had hydraulics on it for tilt and it had a 12 V conversion from the original 6v.

Go price new tractors in the 25HP range and you will think it is a steal.

You need to be able to fix things though. They take a bit of tinkering fairly often .You can buy about any parts you need from several online parts houses.
Check the rear axle seals.That can get expensive and the tires, The rears will set you back $40 each.Mine would leak,but it was easier to take the wheels off once a year and wash the brake shoes down with brake cleaner.

If it's cold where you live in the winter, a block heater or inline radiator hose heater sure helps the cold starts

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/28/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an 8N and about all it is used for these days is dragging a bush hog in areas where it is all forward work and no backing. They were great in their day, but any 25 hp 4wd tractor will outwork one by a long shot. If you like to tinker they are a good bet, too.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a great price for tractor/loader if everything is solid. Tractors alone go for $3,000 to $3,500 in this area. A word of caution regarding a loader, they are hard on front axle/spindles. plus OEM front wheel/tires are narrow and bury easily in material you are working on. I cut up the OEM rims and welded car rims to work on the axle to give me wide tires.

As mentioned by saddlesore, rear axle seals will leak and effect your ability to brake and I agree with him about doing a lot of maintenance. One thing I have experienced and others have told me is when the tractor is working hard in the heat it will vapor lock. A quick remedy is to put clothes pins on the gas line that runs over the engine block. The application dissipates heat. I could go on and on about maintenance.

My 1948 8N has a Wagner loader on it.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Considering their age I'm surprised that they are still fairly common around here. Friend of mine has one but I have no idea of the value on them because I can't recall the last time I saw one for sale.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have been advised to stay far away from an 8N with a loader for a bunch of reasons, probably along the lines above. Dangerous and prone to trouble bc/ 8Ns were not designed for loader work in the first place. None the less, I see them w/ all sorts of loaders attached all the time. Probably best for somebody who grew up with them.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A NAA might be a better choice.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What do you plan to use the tractor for?

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Probably the reason for the advice for staying away 8N's with a front loader is the front axle spindles are not very stout. My new Kubota can handle big 3 x3 x 8 bales and the 8N could never do that. Even with a full bucket load was hard unless you put the bucket down close to the ground when moving

.That being said, most older buckets were of the size commonly used for manure moving that were about 30" across. They were not designed for digging and a lot of dirt moving. People that put the bigger, 4 ft+ on them probably had problems,especially if they caught the corner of the bucket on something unforgiving. My last one I had for twenty years with no problems at all.The one before that for ten years and no problems.I added wings on each side of the bucket in the winter or snow plowing.

Usually the hydraulic pump for the loader is run by a shaft that goes into the hole that was used for a hand crank to start the engine.One sheared off on me from fatigue and the only problem I had was it was a left hand thread on a flange that I had to figure out. Replacing the shaft was not an un-surmounatble job,but tedious.

I finally got a new Kubota due to that fact I was outside having to change out the starter when it was 10 below zero.
Those old tractors served a lot of folks well and if a person can do basic mechanical repair,they will get along.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We still have an NAA, with hydraulic loader, with hydraulic bucket tip. I moved a lot of snow with that years back. That used a front crankshaft mounted pump.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone,

Thanks for all the info.

In reply to what is the intended use:

relatively light snow work. Once in a while we get 10"-18" overnight, the driveway is about 50' long from where the cars are parked to the county rd, 30' from the shop/garage door where the wife's car is parked. At 63 yo I'm not fond of shoveling that amount of snow by hand. If we get 2 nights of that in a row I'm really out of luck. Nothing like it this past winter, but the one before I had to have friend come over with his ATV mounted one to deal with an overnight fall.

[Linked Image]

I have about 7 acres and we're making improvements. There's a 200' x200' "pasture" used by a previous owner, has a three sided lean to turnout shed on it. Had a neighbor come over with his Case and a brush hog to cut it this year as it didn't get mowed last year. It sits on the second lot side of our property which is bottom land. The house and yard/garden is on the drier side of the seasonal creek, for good reason no doubt. I've been hauling dirt by hand to fill some garden beds that existed and I've expanded. Would be nice to have a smaller "1/3 yd? " bucket loader to run dirt over from the good side of the property. Anyone familiar with volcanic sagebrush red clay/rock soil knows what I'm dealing with on the house side of the creek.

Next year we're looking at getting a +/- 25'' x 50' high tunnel greenhouse (similar to the pic) for veggies and stuff to put on the good side of the creek. The 8n is about the right size for fitting in side and getting some work done. I'd go smaller perhaps if I could afford the newer ones, as in 4WD Kubotas and JD's and such.

[Linked Image]

Looking at used older models as I'm retired now and don't have a lot of expendable cash for these things, or should I say I choose to spend what I do have on other things like hunting trips, etc.

I have the skillset to do maintenance, but I'm not sure how willing at my age. Have worked with a friend years ago on Case backhoes, rebuilt car engines, changed transmissions, bearings, axles, etc etc. Would probably need a few more tools for a tractor, but oh well, I like tools. smile

So basically light duty "hobby farm" crap. I do a lot around here with a wheelbarrow but things would go much faster with a small loader type machine. I've used a Bobcat skidsteer in the past , would love to have one of those but they seem even spendier than old Ford tractors.

You folks with experience can probably tell me if I'd be better off spending a bit more, maybe doing a payment thing at the local farm machinery place, for something in the $5-6K range as I'm going to be into that kind of money with the older Ford by the time I figure in the maintenance. I may be able to convince the wife also. And the other thing I'm considering, once the greenhouse is in, I get a permit for the local farmers mkt and write the tractor off on the taxes?

Thanks again for any input.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We still have an NAA, with hydraulic loader, with hydraulic bucket tip. I moved a lot of snow with that years back. That used a front crankshaft mounted pump.

wabi,

what's an NAA? Not be dumb, but I am ignorant of that terminology.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Vince

What model kubota did you get?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hey Gino,I doubt you will see much difference in maintenance cost in those $5k tractors vs the 8N. I'd say you have to step up ot $12 K or so. Once you get one,you will be amazed at all the other things you can do with them .I never lift anything heavy now. A welded chain hook on the top of the bucket will do the job with a chain.

An old grader blade cut in half and burn four holes in the bottom of the bucket( two on each side) to bolt it on and you got yourself a set of forks.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the ideas on forks, but likely won't need them. The hook is a good one I know from the backhoe days, thanks for the reminder.

The $12K ones are completely out of the question. If that is what it takes, I'll be renting a Bobcat at the local place for $250 a day and getting as much work done as I can in a day or two. I forgot to mention in my other post we'll need more driveway gravel to top off ours and extend some areas, and some crusher fines for between my garden beds. That can all be done in a day if things go well.

Again, thanks all for the help.

Geno

In it is contentment

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Geno, a 1953 Ford tractor. The update to the 9N.[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Vince

What model kubota did you get?

I got the 27 HP. Although rated for 25 hp and a 2501 bucket with QD, a set of 3ft hay spears and a 60 " blade. I picked up a 60 snowblower last January but we haven't had any snow to use it on.

This tractor can sure handle the3x3x8, 800 # bales.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Can't see the front end,but is that a Jubilee? Probably at least a $5k tractor.More like $8K + with the new rubber and paint.Pretty darn nice though

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/29/18.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
the series went 9N,2N then 8N. 9 and 2 N's were a 3 speed and 8N's a 4 speed, not counting shermans. 8N's bring between $1500 to $2500 around here. I have one with a Davis loader that has been converted to power steering and 12 volt I would sell cheap.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
an NAA or Jubilee was the model after the 8N made 1952-1954 then the switch was to the hundred series

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
wabi, saddle, blanket, and others

Thanks for all that info. Still hard for me to believe something that old and hard used as the one near me goes for over $2500. Now, that restored one in the picture I can see selling for nice cash, looks to good to use almost.

I went over the hill to the first farmers mkt of the year in the next town over. There's a few tractors over there of various flavors for me to take a trip over and see about someday. My wife was with me and looking like she was ready to go home so i didn't stop today.

Once again, you folks all are a wealth of info and I'm glad we somehow managed to get this "rural forum" started.

Geno

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
do a search on tractorhouse for ones for sale in your area. I would much rather have a D series AC like a D14 or D17 than an N series ford

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had my heart set on an 8n for my new place. I like old fords and always wanted an 8n. They are about 2k around here in good condition and about 3500 or so for a restored one. I looked at 4 or 5 and they were too rough for the asking price. Ended up having a '64 ford 2000 fall in my lap for a steal at 2200. It has the engine of an NAA/Jubilee but better hydraulics. I pull a 6' disc and a 5 foot bush hog and finish mower with mine. The major downside to the 8n is lack of live hydraulics. The pto has to be running for the lift to work. Its not that big of a deal once you get used to it. Buy an old tractor. Ive enjoyed the crap out of mine. they are easy to work on and cheap to fix. A comparable new tractor will cost you 18k easy. Keep good gas in it and change fluids once a year and an old ford will last you a lifetime.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Those old N series go for $2,000-$4,000 in this area depending on condition. For not much more you can get a Ford 3000-5000 series. You might look at one of those. Grandpa had a late 60'-early 70's 4000 with the diesel. That tractor would do more than it was originally intended for.

He went over yonder way
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
1800 -2500 here...not to popular anymore...just not big enough and very few small farms anymore...I would love to have one to rake hay...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks again guys,

blanket, I'm guessing a "D series AC" is an Allis Chalmers? Don't recall having seen a one in this area, some Masseys, JD's, a Case or three, and newer New Hollands. I'll keep my eye out tho. Maybe back in the day there was no dealer support for them around here?

Phoneman and Heeler, I'll check on those newer ones like the 2000, 3000 series. Are those newer series much bigger? I really need small, especially if the greenhouse/high tunnel deal goes through. That and the back yard here would require something small also.

Sure appreciate all the help folks,

Geno

In it is contentment

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
there are 3cyl and 4 cyl 2000's. The 4 cyl is the same size as the jubilee/naa/600 series but has better hydraulics from what I understand.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love my little 2000. Big enough to pull 6' disc, and 5' bush hog. But small enough I cut my grass with the finish mower behind it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For light loader work a Ford was good.
No power steering,
Probably only has "up" hydraulics. Down is gravity, bucket is "dump".
Heavy work will cause problems.

For pulling, look for a JD "A" or a Farmall "H" from the same era.
Slightly less power, 1000 pounds heavier, they will drag a Ford around like nothing.

You never see any 8 or 9n tractors at tractor pulls. There is a reason.
A John Deere "B" at half the hp (12) will kick a Fords ass.

And no, I am not a green fanboy. Just facts.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
For light loader work a Ford was good.
No power steering,
Probably only has "up" hydraulics. Down is gravity, bucket is "dump".
Heavy work will cause problems.

For pulling, look for a JD "A" or a Farmall "H" from the same era.
Slightly less power, 1000 pounds heavier, they will drag a Ford around like nothing.

You never see any 8 or 9n tractors at tractor pulls. There is a reason.
A John Deere "B" at half the hp (12) will kick a Fords ass.

And no, I am not a green fanboy. Just facts.

The problem being however is that the JD and H are bigger in size. The OP wants./needs something smaller.I have driven the H ( we finally stepped up to an M) and also a JD A, B and JD 40. The JD 40 was close to the 8N in size,but with a little more power.. Replacing the Hydraulic control valve and adding two hydraulic rams to the bucket will replace the trip dump. Doesn't look like the OP has any heavy work slated for the further.The 8N is what is available to him and it think it would do what he wants. A Jubilee would be a bit better, a new tractor would be better yet, but the 8N is there

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks again guys,

blanket, I'm guessing a "D series AC" is an Allis Chalmers? Don't recall having seen a one in this area, some Masseys, JD's, a Case or three, and newer New Hollands. I'll keep my eye out tho. Maybe back in the day there was no dealer support for them around here?

Phoneman and Heeler, I'll check on those newer ones like the 2000, 3000 series. Are those newer series much bigger? I really need small, especially if the greenhouse/high tunnel deal goes through. That and the back yard here would require something small also.

Sure appreciate all the help folks,

Geno

yes Allis Chalmers they are taller than an N though

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks guys,

was going to take a trip up the road where that 8N is/was, but couldn't talk the wife into it today. Road from there heads up into the mountains and I wanted to look for berry patches etc. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to se eif it's still available and find out more info, like running condition and tires and such.

You guys are a trove of info, gotta love the innanet!

Geno

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would encourage you to think more about a new tractor. I have a lot of love and interest in the older stuff, makes me think of my Grandpa and my Father in Law and the great times on their farms. The facts however, are that 8N is much less useful, less comfortable, less safe, and less efficient with your time and money than a new offering. What will you spend in parts, repairs and down time?

Deere is running right now and will almost continuously run 0% for 60 mos on equipment like this. No interest and take five years to pay. Spending 15-20k on a new tractor with attachments will cost you $250-325 a month and at the end of the period your machine with care and maintenance will be worth not a lot less than you paid, and still be useful for many many years. You might find its easier and smarter to own new than you presently think.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BK,

Thanks, I'm considering it, especially if I can get the greenhouse thing going and turn this idea into a small farmers market type business, then I might be able to write of some/most/all of the tractor cost.

Not sure how much of the thread you read, and I'm not going back to check either in case I didn't mention it before, but I'm retired on a fixed income and $15-20K is not in the budget right now, especially with the other improvements we're making, like a $2500 deck covering (before installation), we'd like a 1200 gal water storage tank for emergency purposes (another $1000 + installation costs), renewing the gravel in the driveway and some other dirt materials for the yard. Heck, I can't even get my wife to agree on getting propane out here so I can get the house hooked up for a gas stove instead of the friggen electric one I HATE.

I'd sure love a new tractor, but I don't think it's gonna happen, and I see very few newer used ones around here, as they get sucked up as soon as they go on sale.

Thanks for the advice.

Geno

PS, $15-20K sure would pay for a couple of nice hunts too!

PPS, If I could afford it that is. wink

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/16/18.

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.