Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
Long time lurker, first time poster....Need some advice on some new boots for an antelope hunt this October in Wyoming. Not looking for anything insulated, just something comfortable and good for trekking a few miles at a time. I've already considered the Danner route, but I want to see if there are any other options out there that I'm not aware of. Also, shoe size is usually a restriction when it comes to purchases. Size 15 isn't that big, but apparently it's big enough that some manufacturers don't feel the need to make them. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I appreciate your input.

Thanks Everyone

God is good, all the time
Woo Pig
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Danner, break them in good before you go!!

Last edited by hanco; 06/28/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lowa Renegades would be good for that, not sure about the sizes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigBoreHog
Size 15 isn't that big

the heck you say.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I live here and I hunt them every year. I have for 25 years. And I have taken out many many many hunters in those 25 years too, so I know what you need.

Buy something that is not insulated and NOT cloth sided. Cactus spines go right through the cloth ones.

Have good aggressive tread and you will want a very good fit. No tight spots and no rubs. In many cases you will not walk a long distance hunting antelope, but you should be prepared to do it at times, so if you don't have a set of boots that will allow you to hike 2 miles or up to 8 miles without hurting your feet, you have the wrong boots.
(Or the wrong feet! If that's the case, start hiking now and get your feet in shape for it)

One tip that is worth it's weight in gold is to get hard knee pads and a good set of leather work gloves to carry in cargo pockets of your pants. If you need to make a low crawl to get to your shooting position ( and you will at times) you will bless the day you read and acted on this tip.

Last edited by szihn; 06/28/18.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldn't overthink it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by szihn

One tip that is worth it's weight in gold is to get hard knee pads and a good set of leather work gloves to carry in cargo pockets of your pants. If you need to make a low crawl to get to your shooting position ( and you will at times) you will bless the day you read and acted on this tip.

+1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My current favorites for that situation are Crispi Wyoming or Dakota. They are a bit spendy.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

+1.

+1+

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long time lurker, first time poster....Need some advice on some new boots for an antelope hunt this October in Wyoming. Not looking for anything insulated, just something comfortable and good for trekking a few miles at a time. I've already considered the Danner route, but I want to see if there are any other options out there that I'm not aware of. Also, shoe size is usually a restriction when it comes to purchases. Size 15 isn't that big, but apparently it's big enough that some manufacturers don't feel the need to make them. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I appreciate your input.

Thanks Everyone

Vasque Breeze GTX 2.0 or newer model, "III" or Lowa equivalents. Relatively lightweight and good ventilation. They offer size 15. Two pairs of thin socks. Porous surgical-type tape for any problem areas that (may) chafe or blister. REI, etc.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Szihn is right about cactus thorns going through the cloth or nylon uppers, but I like a lightweight boot for antelope hunting, so I'm just careful where I put my feet. The weather is usually quite warm, especially in the afternoon, so I prefer something that breathes well. I almost always use either an old pair of jungle boots or an old pair of desert boots. Mine were issued, but I have seen them at surplus stores and I think you can buy them in larger sizes as well. But really, anything that fits well and is comfortable will do for antelope. The conditions aren't terribly extreme, either in terms of terrain or weather (usually), but you might end up doing a lot of walking.

Good socks are important too. I used to be pretty partial to the Thorlo combat boot sock. They had a thick resilient pad underfoot and a thinner, more breathable layer over the instep. They worked pretty well. Now I wear a merino blend sock from either Cabelas or Costco. They are pretty good too. Not as well cushioned, but more breathable than the all synthetic Thorlo was.

Szihn is also right about pads. They are ESSENTIAL. I use pads on both my knees and my elbows. I use the cheap white elastic ones as they go on under my clothes, but the hard plastic ones are probably better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Vasque Breeze GTX 2.0 or newer model, "III" or Lowa equivalents. Relatively lightweight and good ventilation. They offer size 15. Two pairs of thin socks. Porous surgical-type tape for any problem areas that (may) chafe or blister. REI, etc.

Leukatape is really good at preventing blisters and sore spots. I wear some on backs of my heels and on my bunion every time I plan to do a lot of mileage or a lot of steep terrain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will second the recommendation on Lowa Renegades. Have worn them on early season mountain hunts to backpacking across the Grand Canyon, and all points inbetween. One caveat, be sure they are a good fit for your foot.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters

Leukatape is really good at preventing blisters and sore spots. I wear some on backs of my heels and on my bunion every time I plan to do a lot of mileage or a lot of steep terrain.

Never heard of Leukatape, thanks for the tip. My favorite product is hard to find lately.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1.

+1+

+1.

If the plant is green stay away!

+1+

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't really have cactus thorn problems where I hunt, and it really doesn't matter much what I wear. I have Danner Elk Hunters and Danner Pronghorns, but don't wear them for antelope hunting. I wear my everday waterproof Merrill Moabs right now. My son wears tennis shoes in decent weather even though he has good boots. It may be a good idea to have something that works ok with snow and slippery ground. I totally agree on the hard knee pads and gloves. The hard pads are great when you have to drop "right now."

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Buy something that is not insulated and NOT cloth sided. Cactus spines go right through the cloth ones.

I was "just about" to write that down when you posted that! When I went on my first Antelope/Mule Deer hunt out of laramie I used a pair of Cabelas Kangaroo Hide Upland Bird Hunting boots. One time I "did" wear a pair of Nike running shoes on a Prairie Dog Hunt near Gilletee...to my everlasting regret...pulled cactus out all day long! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 06/29/18.
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you all for the input! I have hunted this particular area in Wyoming a couple of times several years ago, so I know what you mean when you talk about getting stuck by cactus thorns. I didn't have any knee pads, but I brought a couple pairs of those "briar resistant" upland hunting pants with me. They were a life saver when I had to crawl up a hill to put a stalk on an antelope. My hands, however, were a different story

I checked on the Crispi boots and they only run up to 14. Vasque, Lowa and the Danner Pronghorns run up to 15 (Their largest available size). Has anyone here had personal experience with the Pronghorns? They're good looking boots, but I've heard they're not made as well as they used to be. Also, not sure that I need an 8" tall boot.

Woo Pig
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm I thought they went to 15. I've worn alot of Danners. I'm not a fan of the Pronghorn. Stick with the American made Danners and forego the imported crap. It it we me, I'd look at the Danner Grouse for an Antelope boot if you wanted to stick to Danners. .

B
OP Offline
B
I know one of Danner's big selling points is the Made in America line, but I wasn't sure if all their boots were or not. I'm not really leaning one way or another at this point. Just wanted to get some solid options, see if anyone nearby stocked them so I could try them on (not likely in my size though), and then try to get them a month or two in advance to break them in. The last time I went I wore my insulated Irish Setter hunting boots. They were more than capable of the task, but my feet and legs were pretty sore after a few days of trekking in them. I was right out of college then and didn't really have another option, so I danced with the girl I brought....so to say

Woo Pig
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Best boot for Wyoming - Lucchese bullhide, medium round toe, walking heal.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I needed a size 14 and went with the Lowas. Best boot I have ever owned, certainly the most expensive. After one season, I bought a second, lighter weight pair of Lowas for the early seasons, and have never looked back. I had worn Danners for about 25 years, but the Lowas just fit and feel better. They are worth the price. The gloves and kneepads are essential gear also. Good Luck in Wyoming.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A good kangaroo upland boot works well.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just wear my White's Smoke jumpers, if the country requires a tough boots. They will make any size you want. There not cheap, but worth every penny! White's boots Spokane Washington!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last 4 pair of Danner "grouse" boots I wore had the gortex liner come loose. The were replaced at a discounted cost to me. The last NEW pair sent to me from Danner I checked before even putting them on and had the same problem in the same spot at the toes. The lady on the phone at the help desk was a complete ditz and most likely never wore a pair of boots. Danner did credit my account, but I'll never buy Danner again. Look for boots made in Germany or Italy. Please understand I can wear out a pair of $400 boots in one season! I hunt over 100 days a year chasing my GSP's. BTW I have been hunting Wyoming Elk, deer and antelope every year for more than 30 years.

Giving up on Danner's Grouse boots was sad because I loved the bob style soles in certain terrain.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used those Cabela's Kangaroo hide Upland boots for years! Used them in South Africa, Namibia, Texas...just a great lightweight boot for about 90% of my hunting!

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use a trail shoe. Enjoy the light weight.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the Danner Pronghorn Snake proof version. They have held up well. The gore tex is just starting to leak after almost 10 years of use. Usually boot grease will fix it for all but serious stream crossing. I would not get the gore-tex ones for hot weather. Just about any rough terrain upland boot will work well. Check as not all Danners are American made and the imports are no where as good. Same for the Cabelas version in my experience.

I also carry trail shoes too in case of blister or if it is hot. I like the Carhardt carpenter pants with double knees that can take a pad when needed. Not as much protection as the hard pads but more comfortable and I usually leave the pads in place so no fumbling around before a stalk.

Your favorite bird shooting boots should work fine. A heavier pair is only needed if your hunting a volcanic malpais area which tears up boots fast.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the Danner Pronghorns... Over the years I've had several pair. Have worn them on two Wyoming Pronghorn hunts and for one Muley. Last 8 years before I retired my "semi-retirement" job was a contractor meter reader for a local utility. On my feet and walking all day 5 days a week. The Danner Pronghorns were superb for all that also; at least for my size ten feet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a pair of vasque erikksons, uninsulated and really good tread. Gore text and solid boot, I really like them.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks Everyone

I bought these Redhead Upland Bird all leather boots for pdog hunting. I took them with me to WY on a Antelope hunt. Good decision. They are super comfortable and the terrain in Wyoming chasing Antelope didn’t require anything more aggressive.😎

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm gonna' recommend a boot that's a bit different than the standard hunting/hiking boot. I would highly recommend the Red Wing 608. Made in USA, no Goretex or any other such "modern miracle" fabric to fail, supremely comfortable and highly durable - available in size 15 as well. I have used these boots for hiking, hunting and general outdoor work and activities. I've never had them leak either. Be aware that they do require break-in, but once break-in has been achieved, the comfort and protection is hard to beat. They are also rebuildable. An awesome boot IMHO.

Red Wing 608

Edit: Some reviews of this boot have mentioned that the SuperSole® 2.0 is not long-lasting. While this is a fairly accurate statement, the SuperSole® 2.0 is part of what makes this boot so danged comfortable. I wear my 608s quite a bit, though not every day, and the soles lasted ~7 years before a rebuild was required. I'm now ~3 years in on the rebuild and they're holding strong.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/04/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lowa Renegades would be good for that, not sure about the sizes.

I love mine. Have had mine for three years and with daily use, they are still in great shape. Work great out west chasing elk. Lightweight, zero break in required.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Thanks Everyone

I bought these Redhead Upland Bird all leather boots for pdog hunting. I took them with me to WY on a Antelope hunt. Good decision. They are super comfortable and the terrain in Wyoming chasing Antelope didn’t require anything more aggressive.😎

[Linked Image]

Great boots, love mine....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For Wyoming a leather upland boot is super comfortable to me. Love wearing those but not for steep rugged terrain.

Hope you can go to a boot store and try several on. Each maker uses a slightly different last to shape the boot on and some simply fit your feet better than others, no matter how highly recommended or dissed by other people. Find a boot that fits YOU. Wyoming antelope do not require uber boots and I'd major on comfort more than extreme performance.

I'm coming to the conclusions that if a boot does not feel good at the first, it never will become ideal.

The most comfortable boot I've ever worn is my current pair, Salewa Rapace GTX. They are a modern light weight ugly mix of leather and fabric that I NEVER thought I'd consider buying. I like seamless leather. But these felt better than a custom loafer right from the first and I love them. They can take crampons but are so comfortable (on my feet) that I'd wear them to church and weddings if appropriate and often wear them to town. I'm starting into my fourth season with them and would wear them every day except that I try to save them for hunting and berry picking, etc.

Ditto to knee pads. Somebody here at the 'Fire recommended them to me on my last antelope hunt. Such a good idea that I now use them for some predator calling and most of my wild berry picking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks Everyone

I wear size 15 too. Some stores won’t carry over size 12.
I gave up on Cabela’s! Total waste of time. They don’t carry size 8 hats either. In general most of their clothes are for little people.
Danner is good. Depending on time of year you’re going to be in WY the type of sole is important. It sounds like it won’t be in Winter since you’re not concerned with insulation. If you’re hunting in wet weather, nothing like gumbo being built up under your military style soles / boots. Normally wet isn’t an issue, it may be this year. It’s wet.

Main thing is break them in.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Whatever you decide get them soon and get some serious miles in them over the summer.
Socks have to be as good as, or better than the boots also!

Last edited by LouisB; 07/05/18.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look at some Keen boots. They carry big sizes and widths are great too for wider feet. Not terribly expensive and would be comfortable for an antelope hunt.
They make some leather versions that look just fine for an antelope hunt.
Might want to apply a line of KGS Boot Guard on the bottom inch or so of the leather above the sole.

I would get some lightweight merino socks, they make some nice thin ones now.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For hunting on relatively level ground (whether for antelope or birds) I tend to buy work boots, since they're easy to find in plain leather without Gore-Tex or other liners, have rugged soles, cost a lot less than many of the "hunting" boots made these days, and often last longer. Have two pairs of Red Wings that are slightly different in sole and height, and have worn both for many years with perfect satisfaction, and I hunt the high plains a lot every year.

The advice about knee-pads and thick gloves is good too. I use carpet-layers pads, which are thick rubber and can be easily put on over your pants for a long crawl. The rubber is much more comfortable on gravel and other rocks than harder, thinner pads, and very thorn resistant as well. I also buy gemsbok-hide work gloves from my local ranch supply store, as its tougher and thicker than cowhide or elkhide.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Danner Marine RAT boots and as MD says the best knee pads you can find. The ones that work best for me are the ones built for Motocross. Having a bunch of prickly pear thorns in your knees is something that will FU your hunt. Been there

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My stalk last year was over 2 miles. I was wearing my Thorogood moc toe workboots, like I basically wear everyday. I've only antelope hunted 3 times in my life, but its always been on basically flat'ish dry country. My daily workboots work fine.

I have had 2 pairs of Danner Pronghorns. The first were an earlier pair that were comfortable as any tennis shoe. I wore the toes out on bird hunts in heavy CRP grass. I replaced them with a newer pair that had the polymer toe caps on them. I'm still wearing those boots at times, but they never were as comfortable as the first pair I had, and the waterproofness didn't last near as long.

I have a pair of USA made Danner's (forget the model, but 200 gram thinsulate all leather, air bob sole). They're a substantially better boot than the pronghorns ever thought of being, with a price to match.

Somebody mentioned some kind of tape above for blisters. We used to use moleskin forever. The last several years we simply carry a roll of duct tape. If somebody starts to get a blister, cover it with a patch of cut tape plus an inch or so each direction. Problem solved, no more blister. The lineup of boots I wear now I don't have a blister problem to deal with though, finally.

B
OP Offline
B
Just wanted to say again that I appreciate all the insight everyone gave me. I wasn't able to pick up a new pair of boots before our trip this year due to some other expenses that popped up, but I was able to try on a pair of the Lowas and they were quite comfortable. With that being said, I ended up wearing my insulated Irish Setters again and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The temperatures that week were below freezing nearly the entire time. Turns out I should have invested in some gaiters as the snow covered brush ended up drenching my feet. Lesson learned...

Oddly enough, I was actually wearing my Red Wing work boots when I killed my doe. Ended up spotting, putting a short stalk and getting off a clean shot a little over 100 yards from the main road. The downhill drag back to the truck was a relief as well. Dad was thankful for that! Hoping me and my favorite hunting partner will make it back again next year with a buck tag in our pockets.

Hope everyone is having a safe and successful hunting season

Merry Christmas to you all!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13377470/2018-antelope

Woo Pig
B
OP Offline
B
Sorry if the pictures are upside down. I couldn't figure out how to rotate the images

Woo Pig
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice update BBH.

Just wanted to say again that I appreciate all the insight everyone gave me. I wasn't able to pick up a new pair of boots before our trip this year due to some other expenses that popped up, but I was able to try on a pair of the Lowas and they were quite comfortable. With that being said, I ended up wearing my insulated Irish Setters again and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The temperatures that week were below freezing nearly the entire time. Turns out I should have invested in some gaiters as the snow covered brush ended up drenching my feet. Lesson learned...

Oddly enough, I was actually wearing my Red Wing work boots when I killed my doe. Ended up spotting, putting a short stalk and getting off a clean shot a little over 100 yards from the main road. The downhill drag back to the truck was a relief as well. Dad was thankful for that! Hoping me and my favorite hunting partner will make it back again next year with a buck tag in our pockets.

Hope everyone is having a safe and successful hunting season

Merry Christmas to you all!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13377470/2018-antelope

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
My current favorites for that situation are Crispi Wyoming or Dakota. They are a bit spendy.

I'm thinking about getting some of these for next season.
I know there are others, that are comparable.

I'm on the hunt for new boots too.

Sorry not to highjack this thread.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BigBoreHog, hey, I just wanted to say,---- Welcome to the Campfire..
Lots of good people on here.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you HD!

I've been lurking around for quite a while looking at all the pictures of everyone's beautiful guns and amazing hunts. Hoping I'll be able to add my 2 cents from time to time

Woo Pig
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be looking forward to your post.
Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (280shooter, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 14idaho, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.