Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I've seen worms in fish before and they looked like worms. Just filleted a Yellowfin, we caught yesterday, then started cutting steaks. I vac-paced 4 that looked perfect, then one had little red lines shot all through it. I did a search on the net and found one pic that looked like one of mine. It was from several years ago. Some said the were capillaries, and it was fine. Some one else said they described it to a sushi chef and he said parasite. They look like little red blood veins, but not attatched. I'll try to link the pic I found. At first glance they looked black, but when looking closer they were defiantly red. Anyone ever seen little skinny red line running through a tuna steak? Looking for the pic I just had, I found another website that said the little red wiggley things are veins. Still would like to verify. looks like the pic was too old or another site not welcome here. I edited it out so not to offend.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 06/18/18.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They’re in our ocean bottom fish pretty thick, we try to pic em all out. Never seen em in yellowfin or albacore, freezing, canning and cooking will kill em I suppose

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the quick reply. I've found a bunch of fishing threads asking the same question about little red lines, and several sushi sites, that say they are blood veins, Then a couple more saying they are worms. All said to pick them out. I should have snapped a pic. I'll check the freezer in the morning and see if they are still visible and I'll get a pic.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy ya our seabass halibut lingcod etc got worms pretty bad sometimes, some folks say salmon do too but I’ve never seen it

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Hold up a fillet of any of our PNW bottom fish to a light source and they are racked with numerous parasites. Never heard of any being an issue though. Not noticed any among our tuna, but we don't handle a lot of that in this region. A cursory examination should quickly reveal whether one has additional life there or it's an integral part of the flesh. Regardless, it's probably nothing to get excited about.

Never noticed any additional life forms in our salmon or steelhead. If anywhere, I'd expect them to show up most prominently among farmed fish.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/19/18.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you a fish?

Then why eat worms?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Worms in the fish I've seen around here look like spaghetti noodles

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is typically what I find in our bottom fish.

[Linked Image]

Have found them in cod, pollock, halibut, rockfish and ling cod. Used to completely gross me out, now I just know to look for them and trim them out as needed. Generally they show up in the flesh surrounding the stomach. Did have one pollock that was riddled with them and it was discarded.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep that’s what I find too Lott. Just make sure you cook it good!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.