-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I didn't want to hijack the Montana PD thread, so I'm starting another...

If the Good Lord is willing and the creek dont rise..... A friend and I are leaving Sunday, headed for NE New Mexico, Clayton area, to hunt/shoot PD's. We're planning on a DIY hunt. We got lucky and met a fellow that has been out there twice a year for several years, and he was more than willing to share information with us. This fellow said the Ranger? would tell you where to find PD's on the Grasslands. Another thing that helped is my friend was out that way about a month ago and did a little looking around. Somehow he was able to come up with a list of landowners that allow shooting PD's on their property. If we're lucky, we'll find some PD's somewhere and get to expend some ammo.

I'm taking a 22LR, 204, 223, and 270. I just hope the 270 bullets dont bounce off the PD's. My friend is taking a 22LR, 22 Hornet, 223, and a 243. I figure we got all the ranges covered from 'dont step on them' to 'as far as we can see them'. Didn't say we could hit anything at those ranges, but we can sure sling lead in their direction.

When we get back, I'll try to post some pics and let you know how it went.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heading to SD the middle of June for some PD eradication, myself. 22WMR, 223(s), 6mm and 6.5mm Creeds will accompany me. Might take a 280AI just so I can see how it does at extended ranges and verify the ballistics before I order a custom turret.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good luck.

If you find a .17 Hornet on the way,,,,,,

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

you need a 20 Vartarg

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes I do, and so does he.

I would like to put one together like Field Grade's 17 Fireball.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Savage heavy stainless fluted barrel in 22.-250 with 1-9 twist will shoot 70gr bergers 3 shots n one hole, its just sitting in the gun room, 3rd back operation coming up

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just returned from sodak. Had a good shoot. Took these guns-
17 fb
20 vt
204R
22H
218 Bee

First three above were Rem 700 customs.
I have gone most every year the past 25 or so years. Used to shoot a lot of 22/250 and 220 swift. Sold those guns and now consider the 204 and 223 about as good as it gets.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by dale06
Used to shoot a lot of 22/250 and 220 swift. Sold those guns and now consider the 204 and 223 about as good as it gets.
Yup. 204's for me and 223's for my son.

From a couple of weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got back Sat. from the PD hunt/shoot. A brief summary of the week went like this...

Left Sun. was a week ago about 2 pm and drove to Vernon, Tx. Spent the night in a RV park (we were pulling my friends 5th wheel RV). Vernon is about 1/2 way to Clayton, NM.

Monday morning we pulled into Clayton, set up the RV, bought my license, and went by the Grasslands office. We also stopped by a sporting goods store, there in Clayton, and the fellows there were really helpful. The owner of the RV park also told us where we could find PD's. Late Monday afternoon, we found a small PD town and just used the .22lr.

Tuesday, we did more scouting and again shot the PD town we shot the day before, but this time, we set up the tables and brought out more fire power. Stayed there until mid afternoon. Plenty of shooting, but the wind was really bad, gusting to 30 mph.

Wed, morning we shot another small PD town with .22 lr. Had to move a time or two, but kept busy till mid afternoon. Then we went to another small place and was shooting it when the owner of the land across the road came by. Told us to shoot all we wanted on his place and he had a lot of PD's. Wind was bad this day, too.

We spent all day Thurs on the private property. Shoot a while, then move up and shoot some more. Plenty of PD's and we really went thru some ammo that day. Wind wasn't quite as bad and we were able to shoot into the wind or with the wind.

Had to start home Friday and drove to Vernon, Tx to spend the night. Got up Sat. morning and started home, but the truck broke down near Meunster, Tx. and we had to get it towed. Wife came and picked us up in Gainsville, Tx, so we didnt get home until around 10 pm. Holiday weekend, so it will be Tuesday or Wed before the truck can be repaired.

Except for the truck breakdown, it was a really good trip. We did the DIY thing and it really turned out well. We found 2 more really good places to shoot on the Grasslands and never got around to them. The biologist at the Grasslands office said the PD numbers were way down from 3-4 years ago because of the plague, but they were beginning to rebound. We saw quite a few PD's on private land, but didn't attempt to contact the owners to see if we might shoot.

All-in-all, it was a great time.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Mr. Randy. Sounds like a very enjoyable time.

Owl

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The plan here is to head out to SD around the 14th of June or so. I have a few contacts in mind, seem somewhat promising, nothing really firm though. I want to get my 14 y/o Son into some action. Hopefully the weather cooperates a bit.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

bring your bug spray.........

your Cham Wow........

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been doing some scouting on Google Earth, prairie dog mounds seem to show up rather well, zoomed in. I’m just correlating the images with other info & maps I have. I’m not really sure how recent the google earth images are, says they update ‘periodically’.

Just a bit of last minute reloading for an add on rifle, weather looks good later this week.

Last edited by sourdough44; 06/11/18.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just finally got out on my first PD shoot of the year...the .204 ruled the day and to of us had a relatively good afternoon of it...burned about 200 rounds apiece, a rare day with no wind....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

waiting for the 1st cut hay to go down now.......

and baled........most ranchers I know don't want the carcasses

baled with the hay.........

hope our hot/windy spell stays away too.......

48* here this morning........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tikkanut
bring your bug spray.........

+1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Old guy who hunts on the town north of me says that numbers are way down this year.

I am MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,415
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.