-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Due to a shoulder issue I’m not going to be able to hunt with my Mathews compound this year so I’m looking at crossbows. I shot the Wicked Ridge Invader X4 ($571 out the door with upgraded scope and arrows) today and it was nice. But I as also. Looking at the Tenpoint Eclipse RCX with acudraw ($1199 reduced to $904 out the door) which was also nice. Shooting both from a rest I couldn’t tell much difference, just wondering if I’m better off going less $

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look again at the clerks selling crossbows. They are all big, young and 200 #!

I can't cock any of the crossbows I got this year. I am too old and not strong enough.

There are three crossbows thrown on the firewood pile in my basement. They are all Barnett's with broken triggers. The latest crank just came it's a 400. I have not tried it yet. I am sick of crossbows.

Last edited by Savage_99; 06/30/18.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ten Point actually makes Wicked Ridge which may be why they seem close to each other. Depending on your budget, Matthews makes crossbows under the Mission name. If you are on a tight budget, Centerpoint crossbows get good reviews. If shoulder problems are bad, be sure that a cocking device is available, as they greatly reduce cocking effort. I personally shoot a recurve (kodabow) for simplicity, but will be looking at the need for a helper device in the near future.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yeah the clerk is a fit young guy and didn’t recommend the acudraw, saying go with the acudraw 50. Considering I just turned 53 yesterday I’m of the mind set that the acudraw isn’t a bad thing even though it will be noisier when cranking it. I might just end up with one of each, I will shoot the Eclipse and my 16 yard old son can have the Wicked Ridge to replace the cheap Barnett he has now.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't worry about the noise associated with cranking the bow. I get mine cranked and put it on safe without an arrow in it when I leave my quad to hike to the stand.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do the crossbow testing for Petersen's every year so I've become very familiar with them. If your shoulder issue is your motivation to buy, definitely look for a product with a cocking-aid (crank, etc.).

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After looking at both crossbows again I’m going with the Tenpoint Eclipse for myself and the Wicked Ridge for my 16 yr old son. I’m getting the acudraw (crank) on mine and the acudraw50 on his. The shoulder issue is the only reason I’m looking to buy one. I love my Mathews no cam bow and never imagined I’d be looking at crossbows. Funny how getting older (turned 53 last Saturday) can make you change plans.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I bought one, after my heart surgery ,,,,, I did have to pay out a hundred dollars for a crank, that slips onto the stock, but after practice, it works well and is more quiet than I thought it would be. I shot the Wicked Ridge, and it now has the built in Acu Draw..... 10 points are okay, I do not like the Omni nocks and the bow is still too heavy.....

I would not touch a Barnett................. Look at Parker. I bought their Thunder Hawk, light, quiet, easy to use, mine came with the illuminated scope, quiver, arrows, sling, and my dealer thru in some extras for 640.00 I bought some more bolts, and like both the blood sports and the gold tips........

Although I now am okay and can shoot everything, I like the Parker. its a lot of fun

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I ended up buying the Wicked Ridge Invader X4 for my son and the Tenpoint Eclipse RCX for myself. I got great deals on both from Hunters Outlet which is in the same building as Tenpoint Corporate HQ. The Wicked Ridge is lighter by a little more than a pound. I preferred how the Eclipse felt and shot.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
that's how it should be, get what fits you, and what you like... good luck with it, and have some fun

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 65 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.