Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I have a buddy who works at a pawn shop who clues me in on nice stuff that comes in. Today I get a text from him that they have a M2 performance shop with the bronze cerakote barrel and receiver and Optifade stocks with comfortech priced at $995. It's used with no case or shims but does come with the T3 Rob Roberts choke but only one. New these are $2400 from what I can tell, completely overpriced but still thats retail on them. I checked it out and it needs a little cleaning but otherwise its in good shape with no wear to the metal and minor fading of the camo on the hard edges.

I already have a M1 and SBE2 but I could possibly move the M1 and hang onto this. I can be into it for $900 out the door, buddy price. Any reason NOT to go pick it up tomorrow? I would think that even missing the case, extra chokes and shims it is still a $1200 gun pretty easy.

GB1

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just do it !

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Buy it! You’ll have no trouble getting your money back (and then some) should you decide to send it down the road later on

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
At that price, a no brainer, buy it.

Last edited by dale06; 06/23/18.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sounds like you are covered with what you have. But unless you are planning to flip one, spend the $900 on a trip to Arkansas. 😁

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I bought it. Very nice gun but I fail to see what makes it twice the price of a standard M2. Now I just need to get out and give it a good rundown.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nice snag !
Congrats !

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd like to see and hear a report about it. You got a great deal on a great shotgun.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I ran a quick box of Estate 1 1/8 target loads with no hiccups. Kicks about like my other Benellis. I'll have to do a comparison between the M1, SBE 2 and M2 sometime down the road to see if there is any difference in recoil due to the forcing cone on the M2.

[img]https://m.imgur.com/gallery/d99rly9[/img]

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 06/30/18.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Appears the original link failed

[Linked Image]

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Longer forcing cones do absolutely nothing to attenuate recoil at best- if anything they increase recoil by lightening up the gun due to the incredibly small amount of metal removed in the forcing cone area.

What lengthening forcing cones does is ease the transition of shot from the larger diameter chamber to the smaller bore. This will cause less deformation of shot in the case of lead shot. Lengths over 1.5" do nothing to improve patterns though many will say otherwise. The most common reason for longer cones is the typical gun owner can see the change with the naked eye so believes something was actually done. Pattern improvements will be most noticeable with pellets larger than #4 and virtually indistinquishable with #9. Pellet hardness will also be a factor with harder pellets benefitting more than soft. Actual plating (rather than wash) and buffering will further benefit with longer forcing cones.

The other benefit is to lessen pressure spikes in the chamber area due to bridging and plain old congestion. This is more apparent with harder than lead shot but is also noticed with larger lead sizes to an extent. It can be noticed with some of the extreme velocity non-toxics to an extent. O

Felt recoil is very subjective and there is little meaningful information derived from it other than generalities. One will find much greater variability between individual shotshells in the same box than between guns as the allowable variation in velocity is roughly 45 fps from the nominal velocity giving one a spread of 90 fps in a box of shells. Shells with lower standards can have much greater variations. And that is not taking into account the vagaries found between different guns which adds uncountable differences to the equation.

Ejecta weight and speed plus gun weight determine recoil, nothing else. Newton's 3rd Law (?) can't be changed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Appears the original link failed

[Linked Image]

Good looking Benelli!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Longer forcing cones do absolutely nothing to attenuate recoil at best- if anything they increase recoil by lightening up the gun due to the incredibly small amount of metal removed in the forcing cone area.

What lengthening forcing cones does is ease the transition of shot from the larger diameter chamber to the smaller bore. This will cause less deformation of shot in the case of lead shot. Lengths over 1.5" do nothing to improve patterns though many will say otherwise. The most common reason for longer cones is the typical gun owner can see the change with the naked eye so believes something was actually done. Pattern improvements will be most noticeable with pellets larger than #4 and virtually indistinquishable with #9. Pellet hardness will also be a factor with harder pellets benefitting more than soft. Actual plating (rather than wash) and buffering will further benefit with longer forcing cones.

The other benefit is to lessen pressure spikes in the chamber area due to bridging and plain old congestion. This is more apparent with harder than lead shot but is also noticed with larger lead sizes to an extent. It can be noticed with some of the extreme velocity non-toxics to an extent. O

Felt recoil is very subjective and there is little meaningful information derived from it other than generalities. One will find much greater variability between individual shotshells in the same box than between guns as the allowable variation in velocity is roughly 45 fps from the nominal velocity giving one a spread of 90 fps in a box of shells. Shells with lower standards can have much greater variations. And that is not taking into account the vagaries found between different guns which adds uncountable differences to the equation.

Ejecta weight and speed plus gun weight determine recoil, nothing else. Newton's 3rd Law (?) can't be changed.

While you can't argue physics, spreading the recoil pulse out over a longer time period does give the impression of lighter recoil....hence the "soft shooting" term given to gas autos. Lengthening the forcing cone should help ease the transition in larger and/or harder shot. It should, theoretically, reduce the pressure spike so perceived recoil may be less. Either way I'm not concerned as this is a waterfowl gun, not a clays gun so as long as it has the typical Benelli reliability I am used to and throws a good pattern I will be happy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lengthening forcing cones does not spread out the recoil pulse as pressures have no affect on recoil. All longer forcing cones do is ease the transition from chamber to barrel to some extent thereby lessening pressure spikes during those times shot bridges or otherwise becomes congested in that choke point. This should lessen the upward pressure incursions of some individual shells but would not be inclusive of all. You, nor anyone else, will not notice any difference and will not be able to determine the cause of any effect unless the firearm is hooked up to a pressure transducer as well as a chronograph.

As mentioned earlier, velocity of even highly regulated target loads can vary nearly 100 fps from highest to lowest with hunting loads varying even more. One typically will notice a velocity change this great and it will become even more noticeable as ejecta weight and/or velocity spreads increase.

Again, lengthened forcing cones can positively affect patterns but have no effect on recoil. If one wishes to nitpick, loner forcing cones will lead to greater recoil but the actual amount of metal removed is too negligible to be noticeable. I guess there is a placebo effect as if one believes there is a lessening there will be from a mental aspect but the physical aspect will not see a difference.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (35, 44mc, 2UP, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.