Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by NH K9

How's the .338 Federale working out for you?

George

It is my first AR "build". So far so good. I've only pointed it at a few targets and one hoglet. It seems to like the 185 gr. Hornady GMX bullet. Shot the hoglet at a distance of 120 Yds. +/-. He went straight down and paddled.

I recently got this FLIR Thermosight.

[Linked Image]

I have taken the Nikon off, and mounted the FLIR. I plan on going to the range in the AM to zero. If all works as planned I'll get to try the thermal later this next week.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I’m psyched it turned out well for you!

I may wind up building one.........just because.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
It took me quite a while to trend toward the dark side. I'm much more into bolt guns and single shots. However my son started building AR's a while back. I would take him to the range to sight in his AR's. I was amazed at the accuracy he was getting with factory Ammo with stuff he had built. I've recently bought a couple Armalites.

[Linked Image]

a 3gn-18

[Linked Image]

and an AR-10 in 308 Win.

My son had built a 338 Federal and used it last season on hogs and coyotes. I liked the performance.

Several years ago I had a very disappointing outcome with a Sako in 338 federal and swore that I'd never have another. However in this instance, second time is "charm".

I used the Armalite lower. I tend to subscribe to the theory that one is seldom sorry that he went first class, so I bought a barrel from Wilson Combat and had it Cerrakoted in flat dark earth color. Lantac Nickel Boron BCG. Radian Raptor charging handle, JP Enterprises Adjustable Gas Block, Troy Industries 13.5" hand rail.

[Linked Image]

As an aside, it took a while to get it all together. It seems that unbeknownst to me, Wilson Combat uses a proprietary length intermediate gas tube of 13.25" rather than the standard intermediate tube lenght of 13.625". So first assembly the BCG would not go into battery. I was also told (not by Wilson, as at the time I did not know to ask) that a fixed gas block should work. It did not. I had to employ an adjustable gas block to get the rifle to cycle. Took three tries, but finally, the joy of success.

[Linked Image]

first shot, cold barrel, 100 yds. Hunting accuracy fer sure!

I'm already planning my next build, a 6.8 SPC 2.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

363 members (160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,665
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.