Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve killed a bunch of deer with Sierra Pro Hunters and Game Kings. 243, 260, 7-08, 270, 308 and 7mag. They all worked, no failures. Although I shoot more Nosler Ballistic Tips than anything else now for deer, consider me in the Sierra camp between your choices.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by ckat
Sierra would be my choice. Since 400 yards is your max, B.C. isn't king - I would also give Sierra's BTHP Gameking a look. They shoot really good in my rifles and are killers!!!

I've noticed the HPBT Game King has something of a following. Is there any difference in them beside the hollow point?

Sierra's description, which I have found to be true across several calibers for this design...

".270 CALIBER (.277) 140 GR. HPBT
The 140 grain #1835 Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet is intended for medium and heavier game at shorter ranges. It is a tough bullet, allowing higher impact velocities with good expansion at shorter ranges. It also delivers good long-range performance on heavier game from the 270 Winchester and magnum rifles in 270 caliber and is highly accurate."
https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1835/277-dia-140-gr-HPBT

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know you asked about speer vs sierra. but............going at 270 win velos I'd personally look at nosler partition or hornady interlock. but, there again,i'm a fan of an entry and an exit.
good luck,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 150 GameKing in a 270 will get through about any deer out there. It is a fairly stout bullet. That is all a buddy of mine shot in a 7400 he had when he hunted in the woods. He killed a lot of deer with that gun and said it was DRT on timber whitetails with complete penetration.

Was a Barnes or Partition fan for most everything else but he said that combo of 270 and 150 GameKing was as good as he could ask for.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I’ve killed a bunch of deer with Sierra Pro Hunters and Game Kings. 243, 260, 7-08, 270, 308 and 7mag. They all worked, no failures. Although I shoot more Nosler Ballistic Tips than anything else now for deer, consider me in the Sierra camp between your choices.

Same here as far as shooting more Ballistic Tips for deer. As far as the OP’s choices go, Sierra would be my choice, but I prefer the Pro-Hunter flat base over the Gameking due to more consistent accuracy at the distances I shoot at big game. (300 yds or less) The Pro-Hunter, in my experience anyway, seems to be a little tougher bullet than the Gameking. For whatever the reason, I’ve never gotten the same accuracy with Speer bullets. Also, I have tried and tried to use the often recommended Hornady Interlock in several calibers without the results that others seem to have with that bullet.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have killed lots of elk and deer with Sierra bullets in 270 and 30-06, but would not worry too much about the Speer bullets either. Last year I shot an elk and a deer with the new wiz bang eld x bullets in 6.5 creed. and thought they were way too soft and explosive. Shot another elk with the 6.5 140 gr Sierra GK and had better penetration and less meat damage. The best answer I can give you is witch ever one shoots best out of your gun will be fine for deer.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I have killed lots of elk and deer with Sierra bullets in 270 and 30-06, but would not worry too much about the Speer bullets either. Last year I shot an elk and a deer with the new wiz bang eld x bullets in 6.5 creed. and thought they were way too soft and explosive. Shot another elk with the 6.5 140 gr Sierra GK and had better penetration and less meat damage. The best answer I can give you is witch ever one shoots best out of your gun will be fine for deer.

I hear you there. It seems the more they screw with bullets,the more job specific they get. Sst, Eld-X, LR- ACCU bond. Pages and pages of not so glowing reviews. Go figure.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think there is any real difference between the 2 bullets the OP asked about. If those 2 are the only options choose which ever your rifle seems to like best.

And as Bugger pointed out, there are better choices. Quite a few of them.

Bench-rest accuracy is wonderful but is FAR less important then other factors for a big game hunt. If bullet (a) shoots 1/4MOA and Bullet (B) shoots 1 MOA and you don't have a bench rest, you will not be able to tell the difference in accuracy when you are hunting. But a bullet that balls up and holds together is a lot better then one that break apart.

Being brain washed into thinking that a 1/4MOA bullet is "better" then a 1 MOA bullet for big game hunting is similar to believing that the faster time of one car in the 1/4 mile makes it a "better car" then the pick-up truck, when the specific job is to haul block to a construction site.

Sure, both will kill a deer very quickly if the shot is broadside and placed where it should be.

When you see the difference is when you hit a bone that you didn't expect to hit, or when the deer is quartering strongly.

The good tough bullets don't care.

The bullets that turn into a charge of snake-shot often don't do as well with those shots.

Last edited by szihn; 06/29/18.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Of the two for deer I can't see one being better than the other. I like both Speer and Sierra bullets though with Speer I have always used the flat based bullets with excellent results. The Sierra GK 150 is a fine bullet too flip a coin.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I regularly use 165 grain Game Kings out if a .30-06, at moderate velocities. They have always performed very well. I would imagine that the Speer would behave pretty comparably to the Sierra. Speer bullets shoot pretty well out of my .30-06, so maybe I will give them a try this season.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
While I would not personally pick either one of these bullets, I have shot deer in the past with Sierra 130 grain and the deer seemed very dead when I was field dressing them. That said, I can't imagine not to able to put one down with either one of the bullets suggested. I would load them up in the 2800 fps neighborhood until I got the best accuracy and then go shoot something. The 270 is my all time favorite and while I have killed 9 elk and quite a few deer with that caliber I have only scratched the surface compared to MuleDeer, so I'd take his advice on the Hornady spire point

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't use 150 grain bullets in the 270, but killed a truck load of whitetails with the 130 grain Sierra Gamekings. One shot.....one deer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by buttstock
Anti-Hornady?

No not at all. I was curious what the concenus here was between the two bullets listed. Neither advertises any prevention from separation. Gamekings have a bad rep pertaining to core loss. I've personally never recovered either from a deer. My T3 drills the prettiest little groups with Gameking 150s. Considered picking up a box of Speer b-tails to see if they would do the same. The only other non-premium boat tail Id consider is the Hornady. Currently out of them. Ballistic tips for whatever reason,don't give the accuracy I'd expected.

I'd shoot the Gameking and be done with it. 150 is heavy for caliber in 270 and has sectional density on par with a 180 grain 30 caliber bullet so that should mitigate bullet "failures". If I had to bet, I'd say if you shoot behind the shoulder you will never recover one unless the distance is measured in feet. If you shoot the shoulder you might occasionally get one or a piece of one on the offside hide from a very dead animal.

Last edited by RJY66; 06/30/18.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Can’t speak to 400 yards, but I used the Speer 150 BT in my old mod70 for a little bit. The three deer I killed were all at 40 yards or less and expansion was explosive. 1 hit a rib going in and produced 4 exit wounds, 1 did not exit and produced a 4” entry wound. The third hit the neck and nearly severed the head from the body.. Safe to say they were a bit soft for that application. They were more accurate in my gun than the Sierra.

Old70

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have used both brands in 130gr. and both seem to work fine as the deer I shot at went down.
Try them both and see which one your rifle likes, mine also shot better with the speer flat base.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by pymi
I have used both brands in 130gr. and both seem to work fine as the deer I shot at went down.
Try them both and see which one your rifle likes, mine also shot better with the speer flat base.

Isn't that one of the mysteries of shooting,loading? Over the years,I've had rifles,of the same make and model,prefer one or the other. Never have figured it out. My wife piloted a m700 270 for 25 years. I too had the same rifle of slightly different vintage. Hers wouldn't group a boat tail of any flavor. Mine loved them.

When I started hand loading in the mid 70s, my bench was pretty much all yellow bullet boxes. The old Speer flat base was where I started with a new or different rifle. Sierra was a staple with one of my buddies at the time. We both did well with our respective bullet choices. My future father in law at the time was a Hornady men. He turned be onto them. It was all very simple then. Now it's about covering ALL the bases. Close shots. Long shots. Hard angles or broadside. I think it boils down to wringing out every ounce of potential from the rig. If it was cut and dried,I bet a lot of us would hang it up. It's what keeps it interesting.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I dumped all the 130 and 150g bullets in my 270's for deer. My nephew was hunting with the 110g tipped tripple shock and I saw him dump half a dozen deer at some range in one year with the bullet MV of 3350 fps with H4350.

I tried the 110g tipped tripple shock in a Ruger 77 MII and a Rem 700, holy cow...extremely accurate, bullet seated .050 off the lands. All the deer and hogs that I have shot died on the spot, complete penetration from any and all angles.

Hard to believe just how flat shooting a 110g bullet is with a muzzle velocity of nearly 3400 fps, 300 yards is a chip shot these rifles are so accurate.

Less recoil is a plus also.

I am not sure that all Barnes tipped X 's work like the 270, but the 110g is a hands down winner in flat shooting and killing ability.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Those two bullets on deer...six of one, half a dozen of the other. I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference in their performance on animals. I do think the Speer will be a bit softer, more prone to throwing fragments. I like and use both for deer in various calibers from 243 to 30.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
150 grain in either flavor will do well enough on deer.

The Speer BT will be slightly softer at long range/low velocity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sierra's perforate nicely-

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.