24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What would happen if u got one of the high pitch whistles, that only mice can here,type stuff ....stick it in the tunnel and let her rip ......a deer whisle hooked to a air copresser......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've tried a Bunch of mole traps on the market. I've had good luck with those produced by Trapline products.

If your yard isn't pure sand and you can open up the tunnel without it collapsing, these will work. Put 2 traps in a run, close it up and I almost always have a catch coming from one direction.

3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the tips. I can use all the help I can get!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Judman should be along tonight to share his skills trapping these shovel footed bastards...I think he’s three moles away from making himself a new fur coat. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My JRT was running across an unfinished section of our back yard when he suddenly spun around and started digging. He got very aggressive and in less the 15 seconds if digging threw a mole up in the air. I saw a few more digs short,y thereafter. I don’t seem to have any more moles now.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Not the FBI or Mueller type,,,

These little bastards are ruining my lawn. Some days I wake up to 6 new mounds. Sometimes I go a few weeks without a new mound. It seems the neighbor and I are trading them back and forth.

I live in an incorporated town, so a shotgun is out of the question, as is the propane igniter method.

Methods I have tried:

Flooding with water- momentarily helpful, but within 36 hours, they come back.
Flooding with GSD on standby- We killed one mole who floated to the top- the dog ripped the bastard from the hole and crushed him upon landing. Hard on the lawn.
Gopher Grenades- Worthless as tits on a boar hog. Seemingly engineered to make the user sicker than the mole!
Gopher Crystals- same result as the grenades or smoke bombs.
Vibrations- sometimes helpful. Our 5 hp chipper makes a horrible racket and vibrates like mad.
Grub killer- momentarily helpful- lasts about 3 weeks- not recommended for continual use.
Trapping- expensive and ineffective- two brands of traps have been deployed and even triggered, but no deaths attributable to this method
Detergent- relatively effective- the moles do not come back to the same hole. Seems to keep them at bay for a couple of weeks.
Gasoline- same effect as detergent- about 1/2 liter down the hole seems to deter them from using the same hole.
Propane Asphyxiation- seemingly worthless. No observed change in behavior.

I have spent hours on YouTube watching one leftist after another talk about peaceful co-existence with the digging sh*theels. Sorry, but this is war.

If you have a success story- please share!

Lots of funny as hell vids on you tube
Here is one kinda like a zyklon b solution

One guy said plain Wrigley,s chewing gum
Chew it up a little and put in the tunnels
Said moles love to eat it for some reason
And they can't chyt it out.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh it's a battle, bastards, they're pretty simple to catch, but every now and again you'll get a smart one. I'll write up my strategy for ya tomorrow mornin, tied up tonight. Later

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My property is bound by forest on two sides and a river on a third so I have been dealing with moles quite a bit. I have been most effective by using two systems. 1. Smoke bombs. They don't kill moles but when you drop one in a tunnel and follow up with a leaf blower to spread the smoke it allows you to see the extent of their tunnel system and can give you ideas on where to trap. 2. Take their food away with insect killer sprinkled along the borders of problem areas.

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
You could try a MOLECAT.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Oh it's a battle, bastards, they're pretty simple to catch, but every now and again you'll get a smart one. I'll write up my strategy for ya tomorrow mornin, tied up tonight. Later

laugh crazy laugh
Judman,s strategy for the smart ones?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I remember crossfireoops making those improvised grenades for 'gophers'

Then posting pics of it for all of the ol innernek to see.

Wonder if the BATF ever gave him a ring on that, lol

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The ultimate cure for the ones with a PhD in tunneling science.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by renegade50

laugh crazy laugh
Judman,s strategy for the smart ones?

Haha I tried diesel one time, not quite that bad!!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Alright, so I’ve got 5 acres, 2 1/2 of yard, 2 1/2 of field, the newaukum river splits it right in half. The lower half of my yard that goes to the river is a mole heaven, soft moist lots of grubs, worms etc. I’ve battled this shiit for 15 years now and have learned a few this along the way.

1. Use victor scissor traps

2. I don’t wear gloves.

3. I don’t use a shovel, I use my hands.

4. Dig below the mound, with your hand. Never dig below the bottom of the tunnel line, that’s why I use my hands.

5. Dig just enough to place the trap, bout the size of your hand.

6. Once you’ve dug your hole, make sure it’s a straight run, no intersections.

7. Place a little bit of dirt, just enough to block the tunnel on both sides of the trap.

8. Cover trap with the fine hill dirt, just enough to cover the trap so you can see when it’s tripped. I see folks use buckets to cover traps, never done it, looks stupid.

Just set a couple this morning, gonna go check here in a few. This will be #11. Bastards sure are destructive ain’t they?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here’s what they look like. Grin
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I soak the yard with gas, light the SOB, kills moles,ants, chinch bugs, it’s a do everything solution.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two labs take care of the moles. I just have to come behind them with a skid steer to fill the holes back in.

CK
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
We have pocket gophers. Once we got cats the gophers disappeared.

3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Alright, so I’ve got 5 acres, 2 1/2 of yard, 2 1/2 of field, the newaukum river splits it right in half. The lower half of my yard that goes to the river is a mole heaven, soft moist lots of grubs, worms etc. I’ve battled this shiit for 15 years now and have learned a few this along the way.

1. Use victor scissor traps

2. I don’t wear gloves.

3. I don’t use a shovel, I use my hands.

4. Dig below the mound, with your hand. Never dig below the bottom of the tunnel line, that’s why I use my hands.

5. Dig just enough to place the trap, bout the size of your hand.

6. Once you’ve dug your hole, make sure it’s a straight run, no intersections.

7. Place a little bit of dirt, just enough to block the tunnel on both sides of the trap.

8. Cover trap with the fine hill dirt, just enough to cover the trap so you can see when it’s tripped. I see folks use buckets to cover traps, never done it, looks stupid.

Just set a couple this morning, gonna go check here in a few. This will be #11. Bastards sure are destructive ain’t they?

Thanks Judman. Can you clarify the digging "below the mound" statement? How do you do this without having a continual dirt cascade while placing the trap? Do you mean one should dig into the tunnel before it reaches the mound?

I am also confused with the logic of using a trap with spoon requiring vertical movement in a tunnel inviting horizontal movement...seems to me the little bastards can pass under the spoon with zero effect.

Since yesterday, I have had 3 traps set (Wire Tek) with no results. When you refer to Victor Scissor traps, is it this model?:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Victor-Out-O-Sight-Mole-Trap-0631/100336752

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.