Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/201...ied-crossing-river-in-wrangell-st-elias/

Hits home from many, many years ago... a couple, friends of my parents drowned on a spring bear hunt, roped together, while crossing a raging river.

Alaska News
NPS: Evidence suggests overdue hikers may have died crossing river in Wrangell-St. Elias

Crews searching for two missing hikers in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve found two gear-filled backpacks and other camping items along a 7-mile stretch of the Sanford River, the National Park Service said Monday.

The agency has led the search for the hiking couple, from Missouri, after they failed to meet their air taxi pick-up Wednesday at the Dadina River.

"From the evidence we have so far, it appears they tried to cross the river and didn't make it, but we're piecing that all together still," said Margie Steigerwald, spokeswoman for the park.

The Park Service has not released the hikers' names at the family's request, but will do so at a later time, Steigerwald said early Monday.

"Although no people have been found, the identification in each of the backpacks matches the names of the missing hikers," the agency said in a statement.

The backpacks were discovered as river levels on the Sanford River dropped Friday and Saturday, producing dry river channels.

Searchers also spotted footprints near the Sanford Glacier that matched the tread of a boot found a mile down the river.

The couple had planned to hike six days from the Sanford River, crossing the Dadina Plateau and ending at the Dadina River.

Their gear was found near the location where the couple was dropped off by an air taxi service June 22, the agency said.

"An intensive aerial and ground search on Saturday yielded a few more items but no additional sign of survivors," the Park Service said.

The search was scaled back after weather deteriorated Saturday, but the park's pilot will continue searching the Sanford River area, the agency said.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gear for 7 miles????.....they are goners.... Rip

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Gear for 7 miles????.....they are goners.... Rip

Yup, just looking for the sake of the families...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That sucks.

Roping up is a questionable practice IMO. Though I've done it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yup... sad thing...

Alaska News
Searchers find bodies of missing hikers in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park

National Park Service rangers Monday recovered the bodies of a hiking couple who went missing along the Sanford River in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve, the agency said Tuesday.

Rochelle Renken and Michael Huffman, both 62 and from Columbia, Missouri, were on a six-day backpacking trip in the park but did not meet a scheduled air-taxi pickup Wednesday.

"Based on the evidence that was found by searchers, it appears that the couple attempted to cross the Sanford River near the toe of the glacier and were swept away by the powerful, glacial river," the NPS said in a statement.

"The deaths appear to be accidental. No foul play is suspected," the agency said.

They were dropped off June 22 by an air taxi operator at the Sanford Glacier airstrip less than 2 miles from where the bodies were found, the agency said. Search crews over the weekend found two gear-filled backpacks and other camping items along a 7-mile stretch of the Sanford River.

"The couple were experienced backpackers and Renken has been to Alaska several times in the past and had previous experience crossing Alaskan rivers," the agency said Tuesday.

The bodies were identified after a preliminary investigation by Park Service officers. Positive identification is pending from Alaska's medical examiner, the agency said.

The agency launched an "intensive aerial and ground search" Wednesday that grew to 27 people and five aircraft by Thursday, the agency said.

The couple had planned to hike six days from the Sanford River, crossing the Dadina Plateau and ending at the Dadina River.

"The NPS reminds backpackers that river crossings are always dangerous and that rivers and streams that are sometimes passable become impassable, even for experts, after rain events or on sunny days with rapid glacial melt," the statement said.

About this Author
Alex DeMarban

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sorry to read this. When using ropes around water you NEVER tie to the rope. Hold it is ok, but never tie to it. Well unless you are trying to stay together in the seas or such.

Thoughts, prayers and condolences to the family and friends.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've spent a little time waiting for a river to go down. Another two days of fishing didn't kill me till the water slowed.

I have nothing but complete respect for water and I do not f&ck with it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To late now, but exactly the point Scott. Don't fly, float, well you know the drill. Wait the weather out. Alive is generally better than dead.

Took a long time to get my wife to understand that I don't care if they fire me for being days late, I"m still alive and didn't need that job with [bleep] bosses anyway then.

Same goes for traveling in fog in certain areas.

I suspect you've seen more than you wanted to related to how powerful water can be. I don't like water rescue pages. Seems like a lot of the time all you can safely do is watch until it thins out a bit. Having to watch some things you don't want to watch either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In Prudhoe Bay ARCO had policies that said do not go if unsafe...

BP said you better get here no matter what...

I do not remember exactly what changed their mind, but they did.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Lost their gear trying to cross the river, died of hypothermia on a sandbar.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Damn. Hadn’t heard that yet. Just ... damn.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GrizzlyKid
Lost their gear trying to cross the river, died of hypothermia on a sandbar.

Yeesh. Tough way to go.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"trip of a lifetime". --- it was that!

Sucks big time.

I might add that "out there", I almost always have a folding knife and waterproof container of matches on my person, not in the pack. I don't know the circumstances, but if fuel was available, it might have helped. Foot of the glacier? Maybe no fuel to have a fire with.

Last edited by las; 07/06/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of us that play hard up here usually have a story of where things got sporty. Sometimes you can get away with “almost got me”

Love this place, but never ever forget the power of ma nature, she can slap you hard.

So sorry for the families of the hikers. I’m with ya las, I like some essential stuff on me, knife and firemakings no doubt. Glacial water is cold, and as you mentioned that close to the glacier perhaps no fuel available.

Patience can be a real virtue when dealing with weather here

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It still beats the hell out of dying in a nursing home, waiting for friends that don't have the time or for someone you don't want to know showing up to wipe your ass.

May they R.I.P., together forever !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Any of us that play hard up here usually have a story of where things got sporty. Sometimes you can get away with “almost got me”

Love this place, but never ever forget the power of ma nature, she can slap you hard.

True, dat (and probably scars or fresh welts to prove what we wish we couldn’t!)

It’s really amazing how much of this state lacks fuel for fire or water to drink when you get in trouble. (AMSEA doesn’t even include ‘fire’ as one of the seven crucial steps to survival in cold water (marine) emergencies.) Nothing is more basic or survives anything than a simple magnesium/flint and pocket knife combo IF you have practiced with it.

Originally Posted by jimy
It still beats the hell out of dying in a nursing home, waiting for friends that don't have the time or for someone you don't want to know showing up to wipe your ass.

May they R.I.P., together forever !

Was just reliving the memories of bringing my in-laws to the camp we built a few years before my FIL passed away. I recall uttering a similar sentiment when my wife expressed concern about them being all alone in case something happened. .... we both agree it was one of the best decisions we didn’t interfere with. ( I think Walter bought 15 gallons of gas before he even asked if I would bring them in my boat.... eager like a 70-year-old kid!)

Sad way to end but hope the family can see the other side of it too.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 07/07/18.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems like weekly that I remind hikers to unfasten their pack belts when crossing creeks and rivers.
put one arm partially inside of the shoulder strap on one side so if you fall, you can get out of that pack quickly.
If you go down in fast water with a load of moose meat on your pack, you are in big trouble.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
"trip of a lifetime". --- it was that!

Sucks big time.

I might add that "out there", I almost always have a folding knife and waterproof container of matches on my person, not in the pack. I don't know the circumstances, but if fuel was available, it might have helped. Foot of the glacier? Maybe no fuel to have a fire with.

I have always been told to have something on you, if nothing else in your pockets, but more along the lines of a tiny fanny type pack or such, with just enough to fire up and live. Hikes. Crossings. Flights. Etc...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff I try and never leave the boat or camp without a small day/fanny pack I have

With that lil pack barring injury I can make a comfortable camp for an evening or two.

But I don’t trust it completely. Anything that hangs off of you in current can be the enemy.

With knife and firemakings in my pocket, I’m apt to be a long ways from comfortable but better odds of surviving to be comfortable again in the future.

Vern brings up a good point, I’m amazed at the number of folks I’ve witnessed that weren’t going to unbuckle their pack before crossing fast moving water. Wtf ?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.