Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A fishing pole with a Pixee attached is pretty handy for snagging gear floating down the river. McMillan makes a better boat paddle than walnut, if you want to ever use that stock again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Vern brings up a good point, I’m amazed at the number of folks I’ve witnessed that weren’t going to unbuckle their pack before crossing fast moving water. Wtf ?

I generally don't pop a buckle before crossing, but sometimes the situation warrants it. (I would unbuckle a sternum strap if I used one.) Last thing I want in a questionable footing scenario is to have my pack shifting. I understand the argument for it though. A heavy pack is a considerable advantage in crossing fast water as it allows you to maintain traction where you would otherwise wash out.

As I said, I don't rope up frequently for water crossings. We've tied packs off and trailed a line to belay a leader across. Should things go to [bleep], the plan was to swing the pack to the bank, and the swimmer is on his own. Of course, none of this is a recommendation...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Vern brings up a good point, I’m amazed at the number of folks I’ve witnessed that weren’t going to unbuckle their pack before crossing fast moving water. Wtf ?

I generally don't pop a buckle before crossing, but sometimes the situation warrants it. (I would unbuckle a sternum strap if I used one.) Last thing I want in a questionable footing scenario is to have my pack shifting. I understand the argument for it though. A heavy pack is a considerable advantage in crossing fast water as it allows you to maintain traction where you would otherwise wash out.

As I said, I don't rope up frequently for water crossings. We've tied packs off and trailed a line to belay a leader across. Should things go to [bleep], the plan was to swing the pack to the bank, and the swimmer is on his own. Of course, none of this is a recommendation...

Do as I say, not as I do?

In a similar way, I pull my feet out of my stirrups when crossing streams. Sure don't want a horse coming down on my leg pinning me below the surface.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender

In a similar way, I pull my feet out of my stirrups when crossing streams. Sure don't want a horse coming down on my leg pinning me below the surface.

Doing all the right things according to conventional wisdom and still dying doesn't even get you the privilege of complaining to those espousing said wisdom. So I'd just recommend that people think for themselves. Although... that might be the most dangerous advice.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Agreed. Everything is a different situation.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by ironbender

Doing all the right things according to conventional wisdom and still dying doesn't even get you the privilege of complaining to those espousing said wisdom. So I'd just recommend that people think for themselves. Although... that might be the most dangerous advice.

It's ironic and counter intuitive, but many times taking safety precautions can put you in greater risk.

It's the alpine climbing mindset. You carry the absolute minimum gear so that you can travel faster. Yes, the approach seems to trade off safety, but it ignores that fact that the extra gear and slower travel puts you in the danger zone for a greater period of time.

Not slipping while crossing a river is much safer than putting yourself at greater risk of slipping, no?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good points Chris and Paul, every situation is different, most of the time I'll hike a ways to not have to go in over my knees if it's an option. The other variable is how much weight is in the pack? If just day hunting with my backpack it's light enough I'm not too worried about it.

If I'm hauling a moose quarter out, and have to cross a deep fast moving stream (hope not, see above to try and find a better route) I'm probably not going to unbuckle my waist strap, just depends upon current and depth. Same with sheep, that's where I've most often run into these situations.

also a big proponent of a hiking pole. a tripod is way more stable than a bipod, hiking poles have saved my bacon numerous times. First time I hiked the Kalaua trail in Kauai, it was not too many months after hunting season here, I was in fairly decent shape, but I passed people left and right using my hiking pole, slippery spots I could still make good time, boulder hoppin is where it really proved it's merit though. Majority of folks I passed had no pole. I hiked in to Hanokoa falls went for a quick dip, had a bite to eat and hiked back out. Quite a few of the people I'd passed had gone off the trail a lil to grab natures hikin pole.

I've sheep hunted with pards that didn't feel we needed two rifles, so they left theirs behind, F that, I'm takin mine. I'd almost rather not have my rifle than go without the pole, but that's just me and I've always been pretty decrepit.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.