Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have 105 series Cruiser which I don't think was released in the USA. It's the live axle version of the 100 series. It's essentially a re-skinned 80 series with a wider track and roomier body. Mine is a 2001 Standard model (known here as the poverty pack). It's a no frills live axle version designed for mining and other commercial operators that need a tough, reliable 4WD wagon. It's fitted with barn doors at the rear, vinyl seats and floor coverings, part time 4WD, manual transmission, FWH and wind up windows. Mine had the 1HZ diesel which is still used in other countries that don't have strict emission laws. It's a good reliable motor but is low on power. It's a good bush motor though but getting to your destination can be a grind. The manual gearbox in that model was a derivative of one used in the Supra and some Hilux models. It has great shift qualities but has drawbacks for heavy duty applications.

I looked at newer models but they were becoming too sophisticated for a vehicle designed for bush work and had other drawbacks. The old girl was getting a little long in the tooth but I decided to keep her and give her a makeover. I decided to ditch the original 1HZ and gearbox and install another Toyota diesel, the 1HD-FTE and the heavier gearbox from the commercial series (HDJ79). Before it went in I had the injectors replaced, head overhauled, water pump and timing belt replaced. The factory turbo was fitted with a billet compressor wheel and the turbo housing and exhaust manifold were ceramic coated. A H/D clutch kit fitted as well as a top mounted intercooler, Provent can, 3" exhaust, extra fuel filtration and various intake mods. It was a big job but it was mostly a factory parts swap with all the reliability, longevity and availability of factory parts.

The result is a live axle Cruiser that has more power and better fuel economy. It returns around 11 ltrs per 100km. It also has the usual accessories like lift kit, bullbar, winch, cargo barrier and roof rack. This will do me for the next 10 years.

GB1

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
JFE: Thanks for your input. I'd be interested in seeing pix if you can share.

Thank our servicemen and women for their sacrifices.
Thank John M. Browning for his firearms inventions.
J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ezy: Educate me. What is a tray back?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have a completely stock 1978 version. Has some body corrosion, stock throughout, and mechanically sound. Use it for spots where the crew cab 350 Ford long bed won't fit. Looks like Kingston's but is white.

1Minute
C
C
If you’re serious about cruisers, check out IH8Mud.com.

IH8MUD is THE source for info on all models of cruisers, from specs to modifications to maintenance. Great community of folks.

We have a 1995 Series 80 and couldn’t be happier with the vehicle.

Did a lot of research before choosing a Series 80. Serious expedition worthy 4x4 with AC and leather seats that will go absolutely anywhere. Purchased used with 170,000 miles and every expectation of spending several thousand on preventative maintenance and aftermarket upgrades like winch, bumper, suspension. Easy to work on and the mudders have info on just about every conceivable problem you could encounter.

Definitely plan to keep the 80 until I croak.

IC B2

C
C

Tray back is basically a Land Cruiser cab with a truck bed on the back. Ubiquitous in Australia and Africa.

J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks cowboyjack.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Anyone wanna buy some parts?
I know a guy with all sorts of stuff for pre 74 FJ40

Last edited by TBREW401; 07/03/18.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got a Land Rover Discovery, series 2. Does that count? It seems about half the size of my crew cab dually and it only cost nine fifty. Had to tape up the rear sunroof and take out the headliner. Shed the running boards to lessen the uptown soccer mom look and increase the ground clearance.

It’s surprisingly capable off road...and it’s got a cattle guard so I can run into stuff if I feel like it.

The 4.0 V8 seems to have way more power than advertised, and for what I got in it who cares about fuel mileage.

I’ve considered taking a sawsall and grinders to it and chopping the roof off. Maybe some day I’ll get around to that.

Last edited by DollarShort; 07/23/18.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Anyone wanna buy some parts?
I know a guy with all sorts of stuff for pre 74 FJ40

My SIL has a 1974 FJ40 and is in need of some parts, a stock steering wheel comes to mind. Please PM me their contact information and I will have him contact them.

Ed

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JMB Fan

[Linked Image]

Lets you do this sort of thing.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JSTUART; 08/06/18.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
JMB Fan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
JSTUART:
Thanks for those contributions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope this doesn't hijack the thread...but what do you guys think about the Lexus 570? I've got a line on a 2010 for $20K. I can't believe I'd ever buy a Lexus...but is it really the same as the LandCruiser? Anything I should be aware of other than the mocking I will likely receive?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve had 4, if you count the last FJ Cruiser. I’ll buy an 80 series soon. Two 40s, a 60, and the FJ Cruiser. Wish i still had all of them. Favorite? Hard to say. 40s were most fun. 60 had the most room. 2007 FJ was a wolf in sheep’s clothing....was very good on and off road. Would take another in a second. Can’t beat LCs.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had three. A 40, 60, and 62. Should have kept the 60 and spent the money to refurbish it when it died.

A word of caution on early Cruisers, check for rust if you live where it is a problem or the car comes from someplace where it is a problem. The worst ruster I had was the FJ62. Just horrible. The best was the FJ40. Fenders on the 60 and 62 went first.

Last edited by stantdm; 08/09/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I’ve had 4, if you count the last FJ Cruiser. I’ll buy an 80 series soon. Two 40s, a 60, and the FJ Cruiser. Wish i still had all of them. Favorite? Hard to say. 40s were most fun. 60 had the most room. 2007 FJ was a wolf in sheep’s clothing....was very good on and off road. Would take another in a second. Can’t beat LCs.

I have spent the past thirty some years in Toyota 4x4, mostly cruisers with a few Hilux. In my opinion the last of the turbo six (as pictured) is the best of the lot, but the model I would give someone else's right arm for is the Landcruiser BJ74. This being a MWB with a 13bt motor.

I currently drive a current model 2.8 SR5 Hilux dual cab (would still rather a BJ74).

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Just bought a ‘95 triple-locked FZJ80 last night. Number 5. Hope I keep this one and build on it until I can’t see to drive in my depends. Canada and other places always had more varieties than the US market, but I’ve gotten to drive some nice ones on at least 3 continents and know where a few BJ 40s and 45s hang out if I ever get to go get them.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to own a '92 LandCruiser that was a dog with that anemic 6-cylinder. Also felt mushy with the tall balloon tires.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Those earlier FJ80s, before the updated engine, were still trying to use the same 2f line of engine on heavier and heavier vehicles, and the HP couldn’t keep up. They still had torque, just not fast.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JRaw
I hope this doesn't hijack the thread...but what do you guys think about the Lexus 570? I've got a line on a 2010 for $20K. I can't believe I'd ever buy a Lexus...but is it really the same as the LandCruiser? Anything I should be aware of other than the mocking I will likely receive?

Good rig - has more amenities inside and a hydraulic suspension system that can raise or lower the vehicle, which can be advantageous. No lift kit needed. Otherwise, the same 5.7 liter V8, etc.

Spend some time on IH8MUD.com 200 series forum and educate your self.

Regards,

Tom
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.