Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
they've been legal to hunt with for a few years now. it's a debate which rifle to have threaded, as i have none that are.

but, the real question relates to the suppressor, silencer, or whatever the correct wording is.

what are some good models for a .22 rimfire related to initial cost, reliability, etc?

i'm assuming i need to get the license/permit from atf, then the suppressor.

i'm an average joe, shooting vermin in the back yard.

what's your experience or recommendations?

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It would be difficult to find a bad one in my experience. Be aware some of the less expensive ones use a lot of plastic.

Yes you'll have to go through the process but the waits don't seem too bad right now.

You can expect to pay between $450-$600 with the tax stamp. This is money well spent. I recommend picking a dedicated rifle or pistol and leaving it suppressed all the time.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
thanks deflave. some good info. i've been perusing over on rimfirecentral where i post as woodswalker.

besides the suppressor, i gotta pick the gun. the easy answer would be my 10/22.

also have thought of having my super 14 contender threaded. one shot, but would work just fine.

we live in a community that is becoming increasingly adverse to the sound of gunfire.

don't want to afend the new neighbors who live out here from the urban areas where gunfire is verboten.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Lots of guys go the 10/22 route and are very happy with them. I went with a bolt gun and the reasoning is that a bolt gun can shoot anything. To be "hollywood quiet" you're going to have to shoot sub-sonic ammo exclusively if you're using a 16" barrel. The sub-sonic ammo that will reliably feed in your 10/22 (and shoot as accurate as possible) will be limited. Not a big deal for many years but after the 22LR shortage I like the ability to shoot anything and that's including the CCI Quiets.

Your 10/22 won't feed all sub-sonic ammo.

Contenders are great but the slow follow up shots aren't for me. Especially in an urban area where I can't have the cat streaking across four driveways.

If you go the pistol route (think Ruger MK IV, Buckmark, Victory, etc.) you will be able to shoot most any standard velocity ammo and stay sub-sonic due to the short barrel length.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
the choices aren't so simple. that makes it more fun. lol.

could procure a threaded barrel for my buckmark. it shoots and fits my hand really well as handguns go. it'd be simple to procure a threaded victory since i want one anyways.

the issue with all the above is that i'm not a world class pistol shooter, and ain't close either. i know i'll never be real good, even with a scope. i have a 3x tasco pro-class on the buckmark. it works better than me.

ok, the tc contender is out because one shot might not be enough, even though i shoot that handgun the best of all. it is slow though. shoot, breakdown, reload, re-aim, etc. by then a wounded possum is out of here.

that leaves me with a bolt zastava, but has a pencil thin barrel, probably too thin to thread. and the 10/22. it's wearing a green mtn heavy barrel & hogue stock. could go back to stock, thread the barrel and reinstall the wood carbine stock. nothing simple about it, but much to think about.

the pistol shooting about anything in the way of ammo is a plus, the 10/22 being picky does not impress. but no doubt i could shoot it much better than any handgun.

ah, choices, that's what makes America such a great place.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's your money but I'd grab a threaded Ruger American and a can to go with it.

The chances of you being disappointed are about zero.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Flave has some good advice.

Instead of paying to have a barrel threaded, you might think about simply buying a threaded 10/22 barrel. Feddersen makes some absolutely spectacular barrels.

For a suppressor, your dealer may have a specific brand they will push - I’d look for a can from a name brand. A company like Silencerco is more likely to be around in ten years in case you need warranty work (say, if your can unthreads part way, you don’t notice, and get a baffle strike), compared to some outfit run by Joe Bob out of his garage.

Many rimfire cans use aluminum tubes, while others use titanium. Go ti, if you think you’ll use the can in the field very often. It will cost extra, but will be more durable in case you drop a cooler full of beer on the suppressor. If it’s just for shooting vermin in the backyard, aluminum tubes will work fine.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a RAR compact in 22 LR and 22 WMR and move a Spectre II between them and a 22/45 Lite and they are all a blast but the suppressor stays on the 22 LR loaded with Quiet 22. It is backyard friendly if you need that where you live. For a 22 suppressor, I don't think you would be disappointed in any version but I would want the option of shooting 22 WMR and 17 HMR, 17 WSM would be a bonus.

Dave

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
a Spectre II, there's a brand name i can research, and check out the underlying technology that supports the brand name. thank you. i'm well on my way.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I ve been running a Rugged Oculus 22 on M&P 15-22, various pistols, and bolt action rifles. Absolutely love shooting suppressed. Its completely stainless steel so it's on the heavier side but its built like a tank and can be cleaned with almost any method. It's also a 2 in 1 suppressor so you can run it in the long config on pistols and the short config on rifles. Also has an unconditional lifetime warranty by Rugged. Lots of good choices out there. You would have to break down what's important to you about the suppressor to help narrow your search like weight, material, warranty, length, ease of disassembly/cleaning(absolute must due to the dirtiness of rimfire ammo), etc. Good Luck!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's the opinion of the Spectre from Silencerco? I'm thinking of picking one up as part of the Buy One Get One that Silencerco has going right now. I thought it would make more sense to get it since it's rated for all of the rimfires where the Warlock is only rated for 22 LR.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Sparrow SS is rated to 22 Hornet......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What's the opinion of the Spectre from Silencerco?

I have zero actual experience with a suppresor, but from what I read, I was impressed enough that I've got a Spectre 2 in jail waiting on approval. Was originally going to go with the Sparrow, but decided the Spectre 2 was slightly cheaper, doesn't have a first round pop, and is compatible with full auto too. Hoping that by Thanksgiving I will be able to have firsthand experience.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Sparrow is amazingly simple to clean with the DIP method tho. Just 3 pieces and minimal scrubbing.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Recently went down this road. Shot all the big names. I chose the dead air mask. The sparrow had more first round pop, but after that was about the same. The oculus was good also. Mack brothers was actually shot after purchasing dead air and was the quietest I felt as well as the other people there. The specter was quieter to me than the sparrow. They all are super quiet though honestly. I wouldn’t change from the dead air though as it had very nice tone and was quiet without first round pop.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Spectra good for Hornet too. Love mine. ~$350 locally plus $200 stamp. Easy clean. Use it on Ruger MKIII, SW Victory, CZ 455, and Ruger 10/22. Hornet in the works.

Rob

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Recently went down this road. Shot all the big names. I chose the dead air mask. The sparrow had more first round pop, but after that was about the same. The oculus was good also. Mack brothers was actually shot after purchasing dead air and was the quietest I felt as well as the other people there. The specter was quieter to me than the sparrow. They all are super quiet though honestly. I wouldn’t change from the dead air though as it had very nice tone and was quiet without first round pop.

I have the Mack Brother's Echo.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting suppressed RF sure makes the bullet path obvious, I have pegged squirrels with Q-22, ~725 fps and hear the thump, and after the slug exits the squirrel, hit ground and ricochets into the trees at the back of the property about 65 yards further.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

Contenders are great but the slow follow up shots aren't for me. Especially in an urban area where I can't have the cat streaking across four driveways.

If a fella needs practice in quick/quiet reloading of a Contender he ought shoot a big boar hog right behind the ear at about 15 yards and then ponder how it is the old boar just looks around like a deer fly bit him, then goes back to feedin'. 100% reliable and effective path to higher education.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 64 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.