Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I purchased a Goens pre 64 mdl 70 barreled action in 280 here on the fire from nyrifleman. (great guy to deal with by the way)

Unfortunately it is missing the main part of a Goens rifle, the stock. It is gone and nobody knows where it is.

By doing a lot of internet searching a found a post from the fire mentioning that a gunsmith had the records and stock patterns from Dale Goens.

So I bought my first ever stock blank and plan to send it to him and have a stock duplicated using Mr. Goens pattern.

This project will probably take awhile and I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions and asking for pointers

here are some pics to start with
[img]http://i.imgur.com/QateewY.jpg?1[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ftjZHGq.jpg?1[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ftjZHGq.jpg?1[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/kMCvRA1.jpg?1[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1911a1; 07/05/18.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
The metal work you bought will be an excellent foundation for a first-quality project. But I can imagine a bunch of ways in which it might not fit a generic "Goens pattern":

Does the barrel channel match your barrel contour?
What bottom metal does the pattern assume?
Is the bolt notch in the correct position?
Do the tang shapes match?

Were I doing your project, I would get a pattern quality blank (about $50) and have a stock cut. I would fit that to the metal work, and then use that as my pattern to cut the stock you intend to use. It is a lot easier to get the inletting right on a practice stock (when "do overs" are easy) than your one-and-done expensive blank.

Pay particular attention to the grip cap. You probably don't know what grip cap Goens used, and you need one that fits perfectly. Again, this would be a detail that would be more easily solved on a practice/pattern stock than on the final product.

Custom parts and projects are all "one offs." Blackburn bottom metal from 30 years ago is not exactly the same as what is sold today under the same name. The bolt handle in the photos is raked way back; maybe Dale changed his technique/design preferences between when he did the metalwork and the pattern was cut.

Charge on.

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tips Utah!
I have thought of most of that.I wrote down the questions to ask the gunsmith Mr. Bedeaux about.
The barrel contour, the modified prewar like tang, and the bottom metal. but I had not thought of the grip cap and the bolt handle.
He said he had patterns for a large and small ring mausers and a pre 64 model 70. He also said the patterns had long lengths of pull and forearm to cut to length as needed.

Hopefully he won't mind me making a pattern from his patterns to do as you suggested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last time I visited Roy, back in December, he had retired. However, he might be willing to help you with your Goens rifle--keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen
Last time I visited Roy, back in December, he had retired. However, he might be willing to help you with your Goens rifle--keeping my fingers crossed for you.

When I talked to him a couple of weeks ago he told me he was pretty much retired but said he would help me some by sending out with my blank to duplicate with the Goen's pattern.

IC B2

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
utah708, I've been using your thread on your beautiful custom 280 as a go-by. I also like the grain flow that dips down to the toe. I've always admired stocks like that since the '80s when you saw more articles in magazines showing custom rifles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a gorgeous blank! The good part about using a blank of that quality is it will make you more careful with every cut!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Where did you source your blank from?

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bt8897
Where did you source your blank from?

Watts walnut

He has one for 300$ I think is a steal. 2 for 400$ that are pretty nice. and one at 600$ I believe looks better than some that are more expensive.
These are the circassian walnut. His american walnut is in the 275 to 400$ and looks great.

Last edited by 1911a1; 07/05/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tagged .......

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A friend bought 2 Goens rifles on the Rock Island Auction. Nice rifles.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Wow! I had not heard that Roy was retired. I think someone told me that either Roy or his father or both did some of the metal work for Goens, which if true would make sense regarding stock patterns.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would see if he can make a pattern stock from his patterns and then you fit it to your rifle and work out the glitzes and details and then have that blank cut from your modified pattern.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tag

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I sent the barreled action and blank to Mr. Bedeaux, He will have the blank turned and fit and bed my action and return to me for final sanding and finishing and then I will send it out to be checkered. He said he would provide a name of a women who lived in I believe North or south Dakota he used for checkering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one rifle from Roy with that woman's checkering--she does outstanding work. You're going to have a great rifle!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
1911, I was actually in his shop when he was talking to you ! Small world! Roy does outstanding work , you will be happy with it, good luck

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by utah708
The bolt handle in the photos is raked way back; maybe Dale changed his technique/design preferences between when he did the metalwork and the pattern was cut.

Charge on.

That bolt handle is simply a checkered type II Pre- 64 m70 handle..

I am sure it looks "raked back" to a Mauser fan, but that's just the way they are.

That handle treatment was very typical for Dale when stocking a pre- 64 m70..

He did not waste his time trying to improve on perfection...:)

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have one rifle from Roy with that woman's checkering--she does outstanding work. You're going to have a great rifle!

If you have a pic of your rifle I would love to see it.

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bella1
1911, I was actually in his shop when he was talking to you ! Small world! Roy does outstanding work , you will be happy with it, good luck

My lord, it is a small world!.

Mr. Bedeaux is very modest about his capabilities as far as comparing himself to Goens. I feel very fortunate about him helping me with this project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.