Print Thread
Hop To
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Im hoping some here will have information on these,just a fluke i picked this one up 3 days before the 4th of July. an older friend ,89 and dealing with prostate cancer came by with a couple guns to sell. One a 1918 winchester model 94 rifle ,and the other an ancient musket that was originally flint but changed to percussion. I bought both and after a bunch of research found the musket to be a"Commitee of Safety" musket made for the colonist in the revolutionary war !!!!! it has a very crude hammer that looks to be made of wrought iron. There are letters and numbers stamped on the muzzle and im hoping some here will know what they mean. Heres a few pictures by our small flag,thanks.Don

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tag. Would like to hear more about this rifle.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Many COS muskets were reworked/ refurbed/refinished/ rebuilt firelocks from combinations of other gun parts. The lockate, sideplate and barrel look almost Prussian to me. (Front sight is thpical Prussian blade type). The stock appears to be the newest addition ( other than that special hammer!) and it is reminiscent of earlier trade gun architecture and undoubtedly english. . Gun restocked with english musket stock around the older parts.

But this is just me rambling. Hell I dunno

Nice catch!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/04/18.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
46" barrel appro .75 caliber,brass blade front sight about 6" back from muzzle, bayonet stud on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the ramrod.stock is iron pinned to the barrel like a Brown Bess. There are no markings on the lock, the trigger guard has a 7 on the back of it. The markings on the barrel are B. N o 367 these are on the side near the front sight. werethe bayonets numbered to the gun? or brigade or batallion number? The markings on the muzzle look like a capital A and underneath is a j 4. l. no idea what this means. Just looking for info ,i have found several photos that all say its a Commitee of Safety musket. Don

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Here are the pictures of the barrel markings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Loggah,

Went back and did some checkin’. Wondering if it’s a reworked 1740 Prussian Potsdam musket???? Forget what all i said about the stock earlier. That’s the right configuration for that model of musket. Just throwing it out. Hell I aint for sure. Some of those markings may be regimental numbers. Not colonial but the original European.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ya, I got no idea either!!! grinHopefully i will be able to find out more info as we go along ! thanks. Don

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ask the NRA

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Loggah,

You should go over to muzzleloadingforum.com, post photos on the "firearms identification area" & I predict that you will soon have the CORRECT answer.
(Several REAL experts on ML of all sorts, including museum curators, hang out there. - I'm a long-time member but am NOT an expert by any means.)

Joining is FREE.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 69 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.