Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
I have a Boykin, and highly recommend and love the breed. I primarily duck hunt with mine. They will do everything you are asking for very well, except point. However, they are not what I define as "low key".

Sounds like a great dog. However, of they aren't low-key I have no interest at all.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The good ones of almost any hunting stock, most often, take awhile to key down. Get them when they are young and they are little different than kids

Last edited by battue; 06/20/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I have a Boykin, and highly recommend and love the breed. I primarily duck hunt with mine. They will do everything you are asking for very well, except point. However, they are not what I define as "low key".

Sounds like a great dog. However, of they aren't low-key I have no interest at all.

griffon......they are what you are describing , that you want...….bob

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As mentioned much earlier, "low key" is a product of the individual dog and the training it has received. It also has different connotations and meanings to each individual so is relatively meaningless in a group discussion- especially among mostly strangers.

"Low key" is often confused with "good manners" as an obedient dog is generally thought of as being calm. A poorly trained Basset hound can be just as much of a problem as a Greyhound though often in different ways. It is what the owner wishes to put up with that often determines whether the dog is low/high key rather than actual temperament.

Pick a dog, be firm and consistent on obedience and odds are you will end up with a "low key" dog. If lax in either and a dog will soon take you over whether a toy poodle or a St Bernard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We just had an example of differences between the same breed with a German shorthair dog that was the most stubborn dog I have ever had. He was very timid of people as a puppy but had gotten over that with training. I paid a professional trainer as I couldn't get the here command down along with other issues. I had a lot of things going on in my life that happened right after we got him so I couldn't put the time into him that I needed to. The trainer help tremendously but the dog would still occasionally when chasing something run through the e-collar turned max yelping and holding his head sideways through the pain. He had gotten much better for me but my wife still struggled with him. She had him on an exercise run near dusk on a farm field and he got on something and wouldn't listen to her despite having the collar ran up to the max. He crossed a road and got hit and killed. It was traumatic for my wife but sadly a reminder of being firm and consistent from the get go. Part of the problem was he reached a year or so before being introduced to the e-collar and let run without repercussion when we went on a run just to get rid of the energy.

We just got another one despite my wife's fear of it being a "German Shorthair thing". The new dog is almost a year old but won't runoff when you aren't looking and listens for the most part. Still some training to go but he is manageable. My wife is relieved and so am I. I am starting the e-collar now as the previous owner didn't but the dog is certainly way more laid back than the previous GSP.

Another breed for you to consider since you are looking at smaller dogs would be a Vizsla. Almost like a smaller Weimaraner.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

I guess it all depends on what you define as low key. If you mean good manners then yes they are. If you train them, they are very obedient. If by energy level, they are full of energy and need exercise, but I would not consider them as high strung as somethung like a GSP, English Pointer, or Weimaraner. They were originally bred to be turkey flushers and to retrieve waterfowl from small one man boats (to keep from tipping the boat over). Both activities require the dog to be obedient and still. They typically calm down considerably at 2-2.5 years of age without losing their drive. But, thats most hunting breeds in my experience.

A true hunting dog is going to be more energetic than an over weight English Bulldog.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Partagas sometimes you just get a dog, that its something in their head, and there is no explanation.. to me a low key dog, is low key in the house and in the trucks, but is a fireball in the field, I like enthusiastic dogs................. lots of good information on these posts, and great pictures........ I just suggested a Boykin and or a Cocker for a friend of mine, that does not have a big house, and wants a house dog too........................ I trained a Boykin, loved that dog, problem was the owner/handler, paranoid about letting him, get out and move,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when it was done, we ran it with pointers on woodcock, let me tell you, that Boykin was a flushing /retrieving machine, and loved everyone and all other dogs,,,,,,,,,,,,,not cheap, he paid a grand and I think it was out of Indiana...................

From the UP down to the Carolinas, nice to hear from other dog guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how can you not have a hunting dog, good or bad, no truck should be without one

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a Griff for 6 or 7 years now. Couldn’t ask for a better dog.

Hunts well, biddable, great nose, great retriever, good watchdog.

Only bitch would be griff coats are often softer than I think they should be. Pick up briars and detritus. Mine needs stripping pretty regular if she’s not doing it herself busting through brush.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Only bitch would be griff coats are often softer than I think they should be. Pick up briars and detritus. Mine needs stripping pretty regular if she’s not doing it herself busting through brush.

I have 2 , one is soft the other is hard....I use a fork for burrs on the one....the other ones coat is like my gwp…...my gwp is pretty laid back also.....I think a lot of some dogs being so wound up , is the owners own personality , and if they let the dogs run roughshod over them......bob

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What breed, other than a Lab, would make for a low-key vversatile gun dog? English Setter? French Brittany?

Trigg,

I just went back a re-read the original post. If you classify a lab as low key, then yes, so are Boykins. I have a good bit of hunting and trial experience with both, and I'll probably never get another lab. No disrespect to them as they're the standard, but Boykins better fit my hunting style and preference.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I have 2 , one is soft the other is hard....I use a fork for burrs on the one....the other ones coat is like my gwp…...my gwp is pretty laid back also.....I think a lot of some dogs being so wound up , is the owners own personality , and if they let the dogs run roughshod over them......bob

Yes sir. They seem to be a bit hit and miss, even in the same litter. I’ve seen them harsh and tight and a bit “fluffier”. Never too a point it was a real issue.

As long as they breed to performance, I really don’t give a schit if I have to spend an extra hour every six months with my dog. grin When she hunts, she strips her own coat crashing brush. My girls like a D10 dozer in the thick stuff!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have hunted with a lot of breeds of dogs and some work good for upland,some for waterfowl,some for bloodtrailin,some good for home protection too and good with kids. but if you want a dog that will do it all decent you won`t beat a pure breed lab ,these Lab`s will be your buddy for life and protect your kids to their death. the only problem with a male Lab is they are a lover and don`t stay home well then.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (19rabbit52, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.