Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 40 of 46 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 45 46
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Welcome, that's a nice little group, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

S
S
Inherited a '99 30-30 and have been tempted to do an Ackley Improvement to it. It could be fun to load low bc rounds and show just what 30-30 can be pushed to. It is only sentimentality that has held me back.
Bought a '99 303, haven't shot it much, ammo is scarce, another reload project. we
Traded for a '99 250-3000 my primary rifle for Arkansas.

In Alaska, I have stuck to modern bolt guns. I love the old cressent butt stocks. I would put one on my modern rifles just to enjoy the asthetic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you need new .303 Save ammo try Graf and Son's. They sell new production Hornady loads.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

looking to sell my Savage model 99F with date code H. original with pronghorn scope. i am curious if anyone would know the value of this rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gamblin9511
looking to sell my Savage model 99F with date code H. original with pronghorn scope. i am curious if anyone would know the value of this rifle.

It depends upon caliber, condition and pictures.
Without that info ballpark $400-800.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

Y
Y
Hey there fellow savage nuts. I have found myself recently enamored with the 1899/99 rifles. It all started last winter with a 1926 (model A maybe?) .303 that I picked up for a good price due to a cracked stock. I thought it would make a great winter project; also I have been trying to find a good camp/cabin rifle for my wife who is recoil sensitive. This is my 1st venture into stock making; I had purchased some walnut from a lumber yard with this in mind. I 1st repaired the original stock and discovered that the rifle was very accurate. I wasn't so sure I wanted to give it up smile Well I got the rear stock made and fit to my wife with a nice soft pad and she really likes the rifle. Here is a photo with the original stock, and one with the new one. Of course the rifle looks a lot better with the original, but my wife is happier with the new one. (I removed the sight elevator and now the 150's are on at 100 yds)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by yukon7x57; 09/13/18.
Y
Y

I got lucky this summer and picked up two more, a 1909 model A .303, and a 1914 .22 H.P. (not sure the model) for a song. Both sold for parts. The .303 because the rear stock has a crack in it, and the .22 had no wood. So now I have another project for the winter! The bores on both look great, and the .303 puts 3 150grn hornady rn into 1" at 80 yrds! I think I will take my moose this fall with my new .303, here is a photo of it - say how do I get my photos to show on the page here?
[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/qBLItIZ.jpg[/img][/img]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You have one too many sets of [img] [/img] tags. Just one in front and one behind.

Guns look good, always love somebody bringing back project 99's to a shooting status!

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any Savage lever gun is a win over those other companies.

LOL
A
A
Just inherited a 1949 Model 99 514xxx in 250 Savage that originally belonged to my father. He lent it to my uncle, his BIL, over 40 years ago. He was a South Dakota rancher and it became his favorite gun. It was his truck gun and he shot everything from prairie dogs to mule deer with it. This uncle is my favorite uncle, an old time cowboy, an icon to me from my earliest memories. My father passed 13 years ago and I always planned to ask my uncle, if he was ever done with it, and his son wasn't interested, if I could get a shot at bringing it home. I never got a chance to ask ask him and he passed very unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago.

Last weekend, after my uncle's funeral, we were sitting around telling stories and celebrating his life. My cousin pulled me aside, handed me the Savage and told me that his dad told him that if anything ever happened to him the gun was to go home with me. I don't have words for what that means to me. It spent 40 years as a ranchers truck gun, the stock and forearm are in surprisingly good shape, but the bluing is almost completely worn away. I plan to use it so I'm thinking of having it reblued and getting it back into service.

Thanks for letting me share.

Attached Images
20180919_211219-781x225.jpg (92.86 KB, 73 downloads)
20180919_211248-806x211.jpg (92.07 KB, 66 downloads)
Last edited by arc1847; 09/19/18.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome to the campfire. It's amazing how many of us start out finding this place because we inherit an heirloom.

Rebluing is optional, up to you. I hunt a 1945 99EG in 300 Savage that's totally gray. It's got character, and has killed a whole bunch of deer. I don't feel bad about carrying it at all.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Glad to hear the 250 got to come home, and glad you and your uncle were close enough that he knew you would like it. I bought a Texas truck gun in 250 a couple years ago. The way I look at it is, if I reblue it and clean the stock up a little, all the stories are gone. No one would be able to tell that it hung in the rear window of an old truck, stock bleached out a little on the sunny side. Plus it you plan to hunt it, you want one that's used to bad weather. If you get it all shiny, the first drop of water that hits it might make it flinch. I like family guns with character too.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
A
A
Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts on whether or not to reblue. Since it already has a little surface rust I'm concerned about protecting it the best I can since it is moving from a dry climate (Western SD) to a higher humidity climate (Minnesota). I'll take good care of it regardless, but want to make sure it's around to hand to my son or daughter when they're ready, or to my cousin's son (or daughter). First I need to make sure it still shoots all right so it is off to the range this weekend.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
As Calhoun indicated, your gun, your choice. My thoughts are similar to JoeMartin in that reblueing will do nothing but remove it's history, which if I'm reading it correctly, is important to you. Rifles that are shiny and new can be bought anytime at the local gun shop, but a rifle your father and uncle put their marks on can't. Reblueing won't give it any more protection from the elements, keeping it wiped down with a good rust preventative (I prefer RIG) will. Enjoy that rifle and its history!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My very first 99 thanks to jorge for a great deal ! All original except for the refinished timber,1905 vintage octagon and I love the 303 head stamps !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]screenshot utility windows

Slugged the bore this is one that doesn't seem to be .308 but .310-311 ...had this custom mold cut presently sizing to .311... it drops 195 grs with #2 alloy and the accuracy is way beyond my wildest expectations.

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with Joe and tmitch said. It's lost its character and has no interest to most collectors if you reblue. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Ras
As far as Me. I would like to see the Model F,G or T Make a Come Back Older Style and No Clip, Good old Brass rotor.
Revive the .303 Savage Calibor,
257 Roberts
32-20
35 Remington.

Steve

257 Rob or 35 Rem would be slick

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hello guys. Been a forum member since '13 but never visited the Savage sub. Never really had a need to but that changed today. I just won a GB auction for a 1949 '99R in 300 Sav. It has a Redfield receiver sight and is drilled and tapped. Would that be factory? Also there are some sling swivel studs that look much different than I'm used to. The blueing and case coloring look very, very good and there's a Lyman spacer where somebody removed the rear open sight. Anybody know where I might get an original replacement sight? The stocks look very good too, with just a slight crack on the upper left tang that I will stabilize as soon as it arrives.

The seller wants a check or money order, so it'll probably be a week or two till it arrives at my FFL. In the mean time, it looks as though there is a ton of info and knowledge here for me to start absorbing, cuz I have a feeling this is not going to be my last '99.

BTW, I paid $430 for the gun. Would this be in line for what I got or did I give too much?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats on your buy! A 1949 99R would have been factory drilled and tapped for scope bases, and would have come from the factory with swivel eyes (not studs). There was a version called a 99RS that came with a Redfield 70LH tang sight and a rear sight blank. $430 sounds like a good price for that gun, the Redfield is probably worth $100 or more alone.

Here's an RS.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds to me like I've been sleeping on the job, I'd probably been bidding that thing up a bit. My 1950 R is factory tapped and I'm pretty sure a 49 would have been tapped too. I forget when they started tapping the R's. It's easy to tell, if any 99 is factory tapped the Savage stamp on top is moved over to the side so they didn't drill through their own logo. You can see the stamp with the scope on. If you can't see the Savage stamp, that means it's under the scope mount and it's aftermarket. Now, they made a 99 RS that had Quick release sling swivels and a Redfield 70 LH Micrometer peep. But I think there is some debate over verifying post war RS's. Some one wth much more knowledge than me will be along shortly.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 40 of 46 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 45 46

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.