-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mucho congrats!! Very good bull! Thanks for sharing your journey.

GB1

ChrisAU Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Originally Posted by prm
Oh hell yes. Just camping for week during the Fall in the Rockies is a great experience.

Decide whether you want to hike into a camp site or camp at the truck, and then go buy gear accordingly.

Get GoHunt and research a unit to go to. Call the local wildlife officer to confirm a couple places to park. Use OnX Maps to ensure you know any public/private boundaries and to help identify specific spots to hunt. Buy good boots and wear them a lot before hand.

Even if you just toss stuff in the truck, park along a national forest with your camp at the truck and then spend your days hiking out a couple miles you’ll have a great time, learn a lot, and really be able to refine your effort for the following year(s).

What is GoHunt?

And yeah, me and my buddies are late 20's, initial plan anyway is to park and then pack in a ways and camp 3-5 miles from the truck. Have no idea on what unit yet but I do want to do a national forest.

Do any of your buddies have any experience elk hunting or packing an elk out???

I was just re-reading this thread and I can't help myself....yes. grin

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats! Fantastic story, I really enjoyed it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good on you. Eager to hear the story.

ChrisAU Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow

Here's the new thread with story, thanks!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14221182/1

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by prm
Oh hell yes. Just camping for week during the Fall in the Rockies is a great experience.

Decide whether you want to hike into a camp site or camp at the truck, and then go buy gear accordingly.

Get GoHunt and research a unit to go to. Call the local wildlife officer to confirm a couple places to park. Use OnX Maps to ensure you know any public/private boundaries and to help identify specific spots to hunt. Buy good boots and wear them a lot before hand.

Even if you just toss stuff in the truck, park along a national forest with your camp at the truck and then spend your days hiking out a couple miles you’ll have a great time, learn a lot, and really be able to refine your effort for the following year(s).

What is GoHunt?

And yeah, me and my buddies are late 20's, initial plan anyway is to park and then pack in a ways and camp 3-5 miles from the truck. Have no idea on what unit yet but I do want to do a national forest.

Do any of your buddies have any experience elk hunting or packing an elk out???

I was just re-reading this thread and I can't help myself....yes. grin

Excellent. It gets easier with every one you shoot. Around here, finding them is the hard part (I hunt public land where hunter success is 4-7%), shooting one is the easy part, discussing cartridges and bullets and all the other gack here is a fun part as well, but after you pull that trigger you learn quickly that the work has just begun!!!! Good job on getting your bull.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow

Here's the new thread with story, thanks!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14221182/1

Sounds like your heart was pumping on that shot. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I think your first bull is always intimidating as hell. I don't get buck fever like a lot of guys do, been shooting chidt too long, but I appreciate your cool story. It explains a lot of how a lot of guys I've seen shoot animals react when it comes time to shoot their critter. Well done sir. You did good to stay on the animal and put another one into him when it required another shot. Like I said in my last post, it gets easier the more you shoot... Hopefully...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.