Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So here is a newb question, lets say I put in for next years drawing and get a 1st rifle elk tag but then a 2nd rifle deer tag (doesn't appear there are first rifle deer tags?),

Could I:

1) Decline one or the other and they go into the leftover pot?

2) If I can't refuse it, can I sell it?

And then, Would you:

1) Give up the 2nd rifle deer tag and hunt just 1st rifle elk

or

2) Give up the 1st rifle elk tag, and buy an OTC 2nd rifle elk tag to go with your 2nd rifle deer tag

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
let's say you just put in for both in the same season, to start with, and not go thru the freaking worry?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just because you live on a deer trail don't mean you no nothing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Unless you have some prime spots to hunt, 1st rifle is only a 5 day season with not much wiggle room for bad weather, etc. There are some deer tags in some units but mostly doe tags on private land. In NW Colorado the best deer hunting seems to be in 2nd and 3rd season unless you can get a late Ranching for Wildlife Hunt arranged. There are tons of different areas to hunt and adventures to be had! This year I’m hunting mule deer 2nd season with my regular crew and OTC bull elk 3rd season with the landowner where we usually hunt. Last year I hunted with my landowner buddy during 4th Rifle Season. We were into bulls every day but I could not connect but he did! We dressed and hauled out the bull in a blizzard with temps in the low teens. Great day it was!!!! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don’t wait, go this year, and you’ll be planning next years adventure the day that you're driving home.
Just be prepared for any kind of weather when planning the camp.
Also, get a good synthetic sleeping bag.

Retired and loving it.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I always apply for my elk and deer tags for the same week and unit so I can combine my hunting. As a resident my tags are cheap (when I draw). I can only take one week off work for hunting usually, so that is my best option. That way I can shoot whichever animal I find first. 😬 So personally I wouldn't suggest splitting up your elk hunt week from a deer hunt unless you can spend more time here.

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Right, we have been talking and right now if anyone draws a 1st rifle elk tag next year we will all go on that hunt (even if all but 1 of us are campers/guides lol), and if none of us draw then we'll buy OTC 2nd rifle and hopefully one of us will have drawn a 2nd rifle mule tag.

As for this year, I want to go. I've started doing a TON of research. I've ordered maps for about 8-10 GMU's, me and my buddies will get together soon to pick our top 3 to have plans A, B, and C. I really want to get out there this year to do some trial and error and get my feet wet, having a hard time talking my buddies into it on "short notice". Getting close to breaking a couple of them ha.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First, go this year. Some how, some way, go this year.

Second, get OnX maps for your phone.

Third, you dont need to go back in 5 miles. 5 miles in the mountains is not the same as 5 miles in Alabama. You will be amazed at how far even 1 mile is in the mountains.
I would target a spike camp 2-3 miles maximum from the vehicle. A lot of people have talked about how big they are....believe them. Typically it is 4 trips for the meat and another for the head if you shoot a bull you want to mount. One thing to really keep in mind is the distance from the truck you can hunt is 100% limited by how long it takes to get the meat out and cooled. If it is hot, rough terrain, first time....you might only be able to hunt 1-2 miles from the truck. My first bull was a 3.75 mile pack one way. It looked short on the map. It wasnt. 5 of us got back to the trailhead at 2:30 am.

Next, start hiking with a 30 lb pack for training. This if for your daypack. Then start using bags of softener salt. Plural as in two 50 pound bags. this is for the packing meat part. you will find out rather quickly if your meat hauler is adjusted properly.

Next, look up Randy Newberg, Hunter on Youtube. Listen to his podcasts. (He posts here as Big Fin). He really knows his stuff.

Use Camofire.com for some great deals on equipment purchases.

Lastly, realize if you do this there is a 99.99% chance you will be hooked for life. Once you have experienced it you will need to do it every year. Elk hunting is tough, but there is nothing better. Be prepared to be uncomfortable for the whole time. You will be too hot, too cold, too tired, too hungry, too exhausted, too sore, etc. But again, it is worth it X10.

Oh, forgot one thing. Scrap the sidearm, there are no grizzlies in southern CO. Bring 2 rifles. If you can't carry in a rifle, you better rethink the whole elk hunting plan. That sounds a little harsh, but I am serious and trying to be honest with you. To backcountry hunt elk, it is physically demanding and carrying a rifle doesn't even register on the list of what is hard.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Berettaman

Third, you dont need to go back in 5 miles. 5 miles in the mountains is not the same as 5 miles in Alabama. You will be amazed at how far even 1 mile is in the mountains.

A few years ago we were hunting in a wilderness area, no road, wheeled vehicles aren’t permitted, no bikes or game carts, that sort of thing.

My brother killed a decent bull .3 of a mile from the trailhead, as he was walking toward the truck after making his hunt. One of the easiest packs I’ve been on.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Berettaman
First, go this year. Some how, some way, go this year.

Second, get OnX maps for your phone.

I would target a spike camp 2-3 miles maximum from the vehicle. A lot of people have talked about how big they are....believe them. Typically it is 4 trips for the meat and another for the head if you shoot a bull you want to mount. One thing to really keep in mind is the distance from the truck you can hunt is 100% limited by how long it takes to get the meat out and cooled. If it is hot, rough terrain, first time....you might only be able to hunt 1-2 miles from the truck. My first bull was a 3.75 mile pack one way. It looked short on the map. It wasnt. 5 of us got back to the trailhead at 2:30 am.

Next, start hiking with a 30 lb pack for training. This if for your daypack. Then start using bags of softener salt. Plural as in two 50 pound bags. this is for the packing meat part. you will find out rather quickly if your meat hauler is adjusted properly.

Next, look up Randy Newberg, Hunter on Youtube. Listen to his podcasts. (He posts here as Big Fin). He really knows his stuff.

Use Camofire.com for some great deals on equipment purchases.

Lastly, realize if you do this there is a 99.99% chance you will be hooked for life. Once you have experienced it you will need to do it every year. Elk hunting is tough, but there is nothing better. Be prepared to be uncomfortable for the whole time. You will be too hot, too cold, too tired, too hungry, too exhausted, too sore, etc. But again, it is worth it X10.

Oh, forgot one thing. Scrap the sidearm, there are no grizzlies in southern CO. Bring 2 rifles. If you can't carry in a rifle, you better rethink the whole elk hunting plan. That sounds a little harsh, but I am serious and trying to be honest with you. To backcountry hunt elk, it is physically demanding and carrying a rifle doesn't even register on the list of what is hard.

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely read this many times and share with the others.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you have a Foodsaver-type vacuum packer, put a few 5’x8’ tarps through it, one to a bag. They suck down to almost nothing but they’re invaluable for keeping meat clean. See my pic above.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrisAU
can I sell it?

Tags in CO are non transferable. But you can return them but now there is a fee involved.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

KC -

Always appreciate it when I read that article. Thanks for posting it again. Lots of good info for newbies.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not about to read all 5 pages here, fairly sure it's the same guys offering the same advice......

Elk hunting is really simple IMHO, you just simply start......The sooner the better......Like this year if at all possible...

Why wait, for what? You can study all the maps you want, read all the web forums....

It's all about getting familiar with the area. 'Boots on the ground' is the cliche....

You're first year will likely be nothing more than a learning experience, so get that one out of the way has soon as possible.

The only thought I'll offer here is, 2nd rifle on public land in CO is a low odds deal, first rifle would be my pick.

Bow hunting is a blast, but getting within 35 yards ain't easy.

And I've never understood the "big difference" between Deer and Elk hunting, if your good at one you'll be good at the other.

Enough talk, just do it....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth

It's all about getting familiar with the area. 'Boots on the ground' is the cliche....

Really it's all about finding the elk. If the area you're hunting isn't holding any, you can get as familiar with it as you want but it won't do you any good.

Keep moving until you find them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Really it's all about finding the elk. If the area you're hunting isn't holding any, you can get as familiar with it as you want but it won't do you any good.

Rule #1: Hunt where the elk are.

Simple as it sounds, it took e years to learn it. Once I did, our success rate sky rocketed.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And I've never understood the "big difference" between Deer and Elk hunting, if your good at one you'll be good at the other.

Enough talk, just do it....

Read it again, slower if needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Rule #1: Hunt where the elk are.

Simple as it sounds, it took e years to learn it. Once I did, our success rate sky rocketed.

If that elementary fact took you years to learn, not sure I'd be offering advice to others.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elk hunting is unique in different ways depending on geography...Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and any state that has a separation between “East” side Rocky Mountain elk and “West” side Roosevelt elk, such as in Oregon and Washington. All have one elementary fact in common that needs to be met. Elk have to be there. Otherwise, it’s like “treat or treating” on “Yum Kippur”. No Candy!

Aside from the terrain and elevation differences and hunting pressure based on easy access roads that allow for the orange hat brigade to invade areas where a herd or two will be until the opening day volley of gunfire sends them bolting for cover. You need to be in an elky area.

It’s almost absurd for someone who hunts elk, in say, Wyoming to tell someone who hunts elk in Oregon or vice-a-versa how to do it.
Elk can be predictable to a degree until something changes up their cycle. Weather, hunting pressure, big predators, or logging and reforestation efforts begin right when the elk season is ready to start can send your scouted animals on to a new area.

Find elk...That’s your goal, obviously. The rest is about how you can close the deal with competition and “Murphy’s Law” always lurking.
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elk do move,but one of the big problems in Colorado is that many elk head for private land when the hunting season starts. Keeping on the move doesn't help much in those circumstances.
At least one unit I know ,you can see elk herds during the summer in almost every high country meadow. A week into archery season, they start to show up on the private land.By 2nd rifle there will be 400-800 head of elk on one ranch alone.

You can scout all summer long until you are exhausted and find plenty of elk. You have to figure out what they do when hunting pressure hits. That is why getting to know the country is just as important as finding the elk. Elk tend to move around about every 3-4 days looking for new forage, seems to me they tend to make big circles, coming back into an area very few weeks .There may be elk when you arrive and then you won't find any for the rest of the season. There may not be any when you arrive, and yet the last day of the season, there may be 80-100 head in your area.Throw in 50-06 hunters in your area,and there isn't an elk hunter alive that can predict what the elk will do.

However, if you get familiar with the area, you might be able to figure out what escape routes they use to leave the country or some particular steep nasty blow down country that they sneak into, if not private land. It doesn't always work though.

Another hunter might tell you they are seeing elk two drainage over, so you hot foot it over there and not an elk in sight. Two days later another hunter tells you they are seeing elk where you just left

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/15/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 21 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.