Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know we just had a thread.

Spare tires, tools. Fuel. Food. Sleeping bag. vehicle fluids.

What am I not thinking about? Air compressor of some kind, good 12v version. Tire plugs. Usually have that stuff.

But a fuel tank leak thats killing me on our diesel tractor, gave thought... fuel tank patch, patch for tail pipes, patch or stop leak for radiator, heads, etc???

Spare heater hose, splice kit, radiator clamps.

Trying to make up a list.

Id SWEAR I posted this last night, but I can't find it now... either last nights wine got me, the net got me or sober as I am now I'm blind. LOL

Thanks for tidbits. I"ll let it go a month or two and then print it out.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good list, I might add;

An alternator

A water pump

Belts

Starter

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would start with new belts and hoses; carry extra common items if they aren’t prohibitive like thermostat, radiator cap, perhaps alternator, water pump. Starter doesn’t get used much considering the length of trip. Common marker and signal lamps and fuses, couple extras. A spare to match what you’re running. A tube of good gasket maker/repair. A large packing box or other big cardboard to lie or kneel on if you need to change tire or work beneath the vehicle, ramps if you have room.

You can’t bring every foreseeable item of course. Some of these things, like starters, alternators, etc.... if you have a bunch of miles on them, maybe change em out ahead of time so they’re fresh, especially if they happen to be a real pita to work on.... consider that you probably won’t have better conditions along the road. wink

The good thing is that today’s machines tend to be so highly reliable that problems are unusual, especially if you’re just doing consistent, steady driving.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, the Canadian customs has only ever bothered to know if I had enough money not to become a burden to their country, and tried to determine whether I was sneaking handguns in....... or drugs.

They couldn’t care less if you break down. 😁

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Water pump is new. Alt will be. Just smart IMHO.

cardboard, ramps or jack stands. Had not thought that... floor jack and bumper jack yes.

Tstat. Rad cap. Fuel cap. Bulbs All on the list now. Gasket maker a given.

Hopefully the odds are high I don't break down in Canadian customs. LOL.

Starter is a question, may just put a new one on. Can probably find an old one and old Alt at the junk yard to turn in for the cores... keep the ones that are working fine now for spares.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rigs have gotten better, tires have gotten hugely better, the roads are much better... it ain't your Daddy's Alcan!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
It was not what I considered bad in 86 either. Suspect its better by now. Only traveled a bit on it in 95 on our honeymoon. Can't say it seemed better but no worse than in 86

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh BTW I had in my original post asked what has changed, it used to be duct tape, bailing wire, hose clamps, pepper, raw potatoes and nylon stockings and a crescent wrench or three... LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cardboard is my latest “why didn’t I do this years ago” deal. Turns a pebble surface into tolerable, gives some needed insulation between ice and knees or shoulders at minus something, makes a surface to catch small parts or slide oil pans (or body) on, saves some dirt and wear in the trunk or a semi-decent pair of pants, and it’s cheap to throw out or replace when it needs cleaning/drying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Oh BTW I had in my original post asked what has changed, it used to be duct tape, bailing wire, hose clamps, pepper, raw potatoes and nylon stockings and a crescent wrench or three... LOL

One of the things I’ve been doing with my combination wrenches is to tie a loop of parachute cord with a dog-chain snap on it and thread the other end through each box end in order. Helps keep each wrench accounted for. Those 10mms, 12s, and 9/16” seem to sneak off if you don’t keep after them. 😝

IC B3

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Sitka deer]Rigs have gotten better, tires have gotten hugely better, the roads are much better... it ain't your Daddy's Alcan![/quote

This ^

New oil, good tires, new belts, hoses in good shape, oil if your rig burns it and a credit card authorized for Canada. The roads in Canada are better than in Ak. There is lots of gas along the way. Plenty of traffic in the summer. It is a fun trip take your time. Lots of wildlife in the early morning and evening. The wood bison are really neat. If you are driving in winter take along winter gear and maybe some gas as some places are closed for winter.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Women, for tradin purposes once you get here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Women, for tradin purposes once you get here.

Traded mine before I even got on the road.
Didn't get fair market value, but she's happy to be free (I guess), and I'm happy to be here so there's value in that.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A flashlight is handy.
Couple pairs of sunglasses.
Wet wipes and a roll of TP.
An extra set of keys hidden under the chassis.
A scrub pad for your windshield.
Silicon based windshield wipers.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I traveled it 5 times winter, fall, winter, summer 2 times. The trip in the summer of 2016 all II had was plug kit, and the tire foam 4 cans if I remember right. I gassed up ever chance I had, I only had one issue on that trip my windshield wipers. Outside Edmonton pissing rain and my wipers went too [bleep]. On other trips we had portable air compressor, extra fuel cans with fuel. But the biggest make sure you tell your bank you are traveling through Canada.

Last edited by 79S; 07/05/18.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sat phone.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Sat phone.

So you can text and drive there, too?

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Sat phone.

So you can text and drive there, too?
wink

It's a long way between fuel stops. Gotta do something to pass the time while driving.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A plastic bucket, has a lot of uses, doesn't really take space if you pack in it.
Good duct tape, some good wire. Instead of spare hoses, install them. Hoses rarely go bad anymore.
Make sure the serpentine belt tensioner is really good. (A frequent breakdown item on the Pa. Turnpike)
Maybe a spare headlight "bulb".

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tire patch kit, spare fluids, serpentine belt, air compressor, jump start pack, duck tape (naturally), Milepost, can of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, road flare kit, tow strap, jumper cables, a real good spare tire and if you have them, good contact numbers of people you know that live along the way. I don't know if you still have my number or not but if something happens once you cross the border into Alaska shoot me a text or give me a shout and i'd be glad to assist.

I'm sure you're planning on checking your rig over well before you leave, replace anything that is suspect so you won't have to mess with it on the road.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.