Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh yeah- last year I rented a SAT phone for the cabin trip..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Last time I drove the Alcan was about 20 years ago- and the roads were pdg then. Surely they can't be worse now? My wife has driven it several times since, no problems.

It's only one oil change from Anchorage to Billings, after all, on paved road....and it's not like it is howling wilderness.... My truck's service is all up to date, hoses checked (power steering hoses replaced) tires were new about 1,500 miles ago, so except for a couple items, which I'll take care of after the Interior trip, I'm in good shape - change fuel filter, drain water filter, flush coolant system, check water pump (replaced about 10,000 miles ago), and something about checking valve something or other - my handwriting sucks. I'll have to check the owners manual.

I beg to differ, Art. I have high regard for the Alcan - so much improved since I first drove it in 1983 until the last time in 96 or 97. In 83 was the only time we have ever had any problems- towing a big u-haul up behind a '76 T-bird with 200K on it, with a 9 month old baby and a 100 lb Lab aboard. And two spare tires.....not used.

Smoke in the cockpit at Pink Mt.!

Cruise control in steering column shorted out (not even being used) - next morning car would not start until jumped- from then on had to pull a battery cable at night to keep the battery live.

Construction segments were minor exceptions the last couple times.....and even those were decent if one held the speed down. The only bad road we encountered that first trip was in Alaska, near the border, and only about 100 miles of gravel total even back then.

Now the Manley road (Elliot Hwy) is a bear - under construction the last two years, probably again this year. Last year it took us almost 2 1/2 hours to travel through 13 miles of construction behind the pilot car. She had to stop and wait for us a few times, because I was not going to go as fast as she was on road like that with a pickup camper towing a boat. Had one flat on the boat trailer, but those tires were about shot anyway. Got three new ones (including spare) when we got back to Fairbanks. Doubt I'll have any problem this year, but one never knows. Murphy and a few buddies always tag along.

The year before last, the clutch blew out at Minto Jct about 10 pm.- that was $989 alone for 119 mile tow back to FBKs! Fortunately the construction camp was just a mile down the road and had a cell phone so I could get a tow on the way(arrived 1pm), and they kept the boat in their yard until I got back 5 days later. A half dozen big watermelons for the crew to show my appreciation seemed a bargain!

Could have been more of a problem had it not been for the location of the breakdown - but someone would have been along eventually. In the Bush, one doesn't worry about time much- or shouldn't. It can be dangerous.

In Manley, we leave our rigs at Frank's Place where they are secure while we are at the cabin 50 miles away. Frank and Dianne won't take cash, but Frank likes beer, and Dianne appreciates (again) several watermelons for the grand-kids. Frank gets a case of the better stuff.

Some things (watermelons!) are more important than carrying a lot of unnecessary or redundant gear- unless of course one needs it to hell and gone out there, and not have it.. smile. But really, now days the Alcan is a pushover. Assuming your rig is quality to start with. One lousy, 3,000 mile oil change, (maybe 2500 border to border), tho the Alcan proper is only a portion of that. Dawson Creek to Tok? Or Fairbanks.

Good luck on your trip!

First time we drove it when I was a kid we had a couple break downs and stopped every time we passed a garage to get all the flat tires repaired. Spent two days in Whitehorse waiting on VW bus parts...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Jeff
You’re gonna need a trailer for all the ‘what ifs’.
LOL

Yes, I was thinking that too. Took me 3 trips up the hwy to move in 2004. I remember I thought I needed a nice new Stihl chainsaw; bought one in Reno before I left. I saw the same saw, same price in the True Value hardware store when I got to Kodiak. But, enjoy Jeff. As you know , it is not just the destination, it is the experience getting there. I was in for the Denali Road lottery this year but did not draw, I was looking forward to see AK in September again but not this year.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I drive the worst stretches of this road for work and it's honestly not too bad if you keep your speed down over rough patches. Big stretches without garages and many former stops are out of business. This means you need to be self contained for common problems. Have your vehicle in top mechanical condition before starting out, always gas up when you can and bring a good spare tire, not one of those small fake tires. If you are handy spare belts and a kit to take care of mechanical issues...and if you can fix these things you'll know what to bring. New vehicles usually leave me flummoxed and so I bring less than I used to, when I could take a real stab at repairs. My only two breakdowns where unfixable without spare parts but were close to a major center. I would have killed for a paper and pencil to send a message one time but instead I sent my 15 year old son. Worried about him the whole time, and wouldn't do that again.

If it's summer bring lots of water and some bug dope. A Sat phone with a good travel guide will help speed up rescue, as waiting on a good samaritan to deliver a message is a stressful experience. In Winter it gets more complex and I bring a big Arctic Sleeping Bag, a tarp and an axe with multiple fire starting tools. I also know how to spend a night out at -40. Usually traffic but sometimes not much in bad weather. I don't bring a First Aid kit but I guess I should. I remember a story from Ft Smith where a local gut got broken down and decided to hike to a highway camp 10KM down the road. Mr Black Bear shadowed him for 10KM and it sounded pretty unpleasant. So a firearm or spray might be a good idea though I don't bother unless hunting. Maybe should?

Most important thing to bring is a credit card with a good limit as a break down will be expensive. Does the AAA still cover towing charges? That can be a killer as it can be 3-500KM (or more) between competent garages.

Last edited by North61; 07/08/18.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Right -$30,000 credit limits on our cards (paid up), AAA coverage, and a no -time dependent itinerary for us, with a self-contained (more or less) camper pickup.

What could go wrong?

Jeeze- I think that's Murphy at the door now.... smile

Last edited by las; 07/08/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should be fine unless there is a driving under the influence mark on your records.

Last edited by Ray; 07/08/18.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Might be a speeding ticket from about when I was 20 IIRC. Now 53. So I should be ok.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
High lift jack and a bottle jack. Head lamp. Couple of empty anti-freeze or windshield wiper fluid jugs. I also carry my DeWalt impact gun, make tire changes easier. Also one of those electric drill bit sets, brother-in-law ran into an issue where he needed a square bit to fix something and he had every type of screwdriver, but that.

Shovel and an axe.

May consider having your brakes checked before you travel as well Jeff.

A pair of cheap lightweight coveralls can be handy, use ‘em, throw them in a bag and put your travel clothes back on.

Safe travels!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
Might be a speeding ticket from about when I was 20 IIRC. Now 53. So I should be ok.

They don't care about moving violations (tickets).

Only interested in actual arrests.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Akbob5]
....A pair of cheap lightweight coveralls can be handy, use ‘em, throw them in a bag and put your travel clothes back on....

[quote]

good idea, that. But in Jeff's case they might be one in the same. smile If you think about it , Jeff, get a Canadian inter-provincial insurance card from your agent here. It makes the border guards smile, to think one of us ugly Americans would do them a courtesy such as that.

IC B3

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Will do on the card. I know I have to alert all CC companies, would have verified the insurance was good, but would likely have never thought about a canada specific card.

Carry Fire coveralls all the time for trips like that. both fire retardant and heavy and keep me clean. And reflective at night.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't let them know you are an EMT in Whitehorse.... they might kidnap you and make you a Canadian citizen !

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

it never hurts to have all those administrative details in place, but I've not had proof of insurance asked for. As I said, passport and a couple innocuous questions. I've not taken firearms through, but can see that changing things. A lot probably depends on who is on duty when you pass, how crowded it is and what they do to speed things up, and the sort of day the agent is having.

Two years ago i "won the lottery' and had to go inside for extra scrutiny based on a random system. Biggest problem it was about 7:30 with shift change going on. Took an extra hour out of my travel.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

... I've not taken firearms through, but can see that changing things. A lot probably depends on who is on duty when you pass, how crowded it is and what they do to speed things up, and the sort of day the agent is having.

agree, big time. I hit Winnipeg airport about 30 years ago at 0130, with my 12 gauge and a "green card" allowing me to work in Canada on a banding/telemetry study on Canada geese near Churchill for a month. chunky little woman immigrations/custom agent was in a surly mood that morning.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've traveled the Alcan at least annually for half a century and it ain't nothing like the old days.

You can plan everything for customs inspections but all rules change with the shift change.

Bring some decent foods as it's difficult on the Alcan. Toad River Lodge USUALLY can prepare a decent
breakfast. Cozy Cafe and Grub and Pub in Haines Jct have treated me well......Cozy Corner Rooms
are some of best on the trip. I try to patronize Contact Creek folks as they stay open all winter.

Last week's trip found the road in best shape ever...much improved from Kluane to Beaver Creek.

Watch out for the Japs on bikes!.....damn near hit one as I popped over a hill and he was traveling mid-road.

I haul firearms every trip....be sure to have paperwork to get back into US.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm thinking a simple shotgun of some type, may have to buy a simple double, but would like the 870 instead.

I can figure out Canada paperwork for guns, what the hell would the US want?

Food, I'm simple, I"m by myself. Loaf of bread... sleep in the truck mostly.

Will remember Contact Creek if I see it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've traveled the Alcan at least annually for half a century and it ain't nothing like the old days.

You can plan everything for customs inspections but all rules change with the shift change.

Bring some decent foods as it's difficult on the Alcan. Toad River Lodge USUALLY can prepare a decent
breakfast. Cozy Cafe and Grub and Pub in Haines Jct have treated me well......Cozy Corner Rooms
are some of best on the trip. I try to patronize Contact Creek folks as they stay open all winter.

Last week's trip found the road in best shape ever...much improved from Kluane to Beaver Creek.

Watch out for the Japs on bikes!.....damn near hit one as I popped over a hill and he was traveling mid-road.

I haul firearms every trip....be sure to have paperwork to get back into US.

Funny that you mention Toad River, Vern.

2 years ago I had an evening meal with them little asian honeys. A few days earlier i had an awesome grilled chicken breast sandwich in a little cafe in south BC owned by 2 gals. Just great food - fresh and delicious.

I thought I'd have another. Out comes this little breaded, previously-frozen, chicken-flavored hockey puck on a bun. I laughed to my own damn self, filled a hole and slept in my new gooseneck trailer I was hauling up. Trucker next to me really talked up their breakfasts though. I was gone by 0300. Had to do 900 miles to Tok to be home the following day.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

I can figure out Canada paperwork for guns, what the hell would the US want?

I don't think he meant hard to get the guns into AK, just need a passport to re-enter the US.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VernAK

Blast from the past:

Don't take your half out of the middle!!

Words to "live" by, literally.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,433
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.