Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12971509 07/06/18
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My wife and I returned from a fantastic 15 days in Namibia a few weeks ago. The trip was with Shona Hunting Adventures and it could not have been better. We spent time on photo safari in Etosha, hunting, with a Himba tribe, a cheetah reserve, in the Namib Desert on a "archaeological" journey via ATV and fishing off the Skeleton Coast. I highly recommend Johann and his team.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice NICE stuff Ed!

I'm glad it was all you hoped for!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like fun was had. Glad you had a good trip. Nice Trophies.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a hell of a trip, congrats

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Let's hear about the rifle/scope/ammo combo. Also, where in Nam were you hunting?

Thanks, RS

IC B2

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Let's hear about the rifle/scope/ammo combo. Also, where in Nam were you hunting?

Thanks, RS

An FN Supreme 30-06, an old Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X and handloaded 168 gr TSX's. The first time I have hunted a 30-06 and, of course, it just worked. Below is where I hunted, 16,000 acres of beautiful unfenced property. Elephant, lion, leopard and, of course, cheetah roamed.

https://www.shona-adventures.com/conservation-hunting-shona-hunting-properties/

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good deal Ed, I'm sure glad you found time to hunt, when I first read of your trip I was afraid it was going to be more about travel/photo safari type stuff, which would be pure torture for a hunter. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't wait- leaving for Namibia Thursday.

Great photos, Ed.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good deal Ed, I'm sure glad you found time to hunt, when I first read of your trip I was afraid it was going to be more about travel/photo safari type stuff, which would be pure torture for a hunter. smile

Nope. While my wife is not a hunter she absolutely enjoys the hunt and was along side every trip out. She wants to head to the Caprivi next years (buff) and throw a houseboat trip on the Chobe for some fishing which she absolutely loves to do. Good girl I have.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I can't wait- leaving for Namibia Thursday.

Great photos, Ed.

I guarantee you will have the time of your life Dennis.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Seems like it was everything, and maybe more, than you thought it would be. Man I love Namibia! Congrats on a great adventure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Forgot to mention that the kudu was a very old bull with molars gone and a snake bite festering. His horns were well worn as well. He needed to be taken out. My bullet exited through a bowling ball sized abscess from the bite. The meat was rotting from beneath. It smelled really bad even making the tracker gag.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ed, thanks for the report. Been looking forward to seeing it. Looks like a great trip. Can you give us a little more information on the cheetah. Was it over bait? Not sure how they are hunted.

Last edited by Cariboujack; 07/09/18. Reason: Corrected spelling :)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's spelled Cheetah.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ed, awesome trip. Thanks for sharing! The venerable -06 can still get it done.

Last edited by John_Havard; 07/09/18.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats ! Thanks for sharing the photos !

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EdM
My wife and I returned from a fantastic 15 days in Namibia a few weeks ago. The trip was with Shona Hunting Adventures and it could not have been better. We spent time on photo safari in Etosha, hunting, with a Himba tribe, a cheetah reserve, in the Namib Desert on a "archaeological" journey via ATV and fishing off the Skeleton Coast. I highly recommend Johann and his team.

[Linked Image]

Nice report, Ed! Near perfect bullet placement on that zebra, btw. Also, the story and photo of the abscess on the kudu is real interesting. I have to wonder if it would have ended up killing him. Fortunately, your incision-and-drainage-by-bullet saved him a long and agonizing death.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the photos and story of your trip. The white slime looks bad. Thank goodness we can't smell it, I'm sure it was bad as you said.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

[/quote]

Nice report, Ed! Near perfect bullet placement on that zebra, btw. Also, the story and photo of the abscess on the kudu is real interesting. I have to wonder if it would have ended up killing him. Fortunately, your incision-and-drainage-by-bullet saved him a long and agonizing death.
[/quote]

Touch low, your supposed to shoot them in the black stripes so it doesn't show on the rug. The Caprivi by boat should be fantastic especially with your own "African Queen" especially if she looks like Catherine Hepburn even a little bit.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Ed, thanks for the report. Been looking forward to seeing it. Looks like a great trip. Can you give us a little more information on the cheetah. Was it over bait? Not sure how they are hunted.

They do not do bait and rarely come to a call. So luck is involved and we found him under a tree while glassing for gemsbuck quite a ways off. We went after him to the area where we thought the tree was. Of course there were many trees and we had lost the original apparently but we eventually found tracks. Followed them for quite a while when my PH waived his hand and pointed. Not 35 yards away he lay under another tree in the grass facing away. I could only see his head and aimed low trying for the lower neck/spine which is where the bullet hit.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Tejano

[/quote]

Touch low, your supposed to shoot them in the black stripes so it doesn't show on the rug. The Caprivi by boat should be fantastic especially with your own "African Queen" especially if she looks like Catherine Hepburn even a little bit.
[/quote]

I was just trying to kill it now with a rug far from my mind.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice! Love the kudu!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (16penny, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.