Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I carry a 38spl for EDC but I’m looking for a better gun to carry in the woods and keep ready in the house. I’d like to get a 10mm, and wanted something I could attach a light to for multiple reasons. Can somebody convince me which model to go with? I think the 20 would fit the bill well but would be hard to conceal in the event I’d want to carry IWB. The 29 would work well concealed carry but I’m not sure about handling the recoil in the smaller platform (I’ve never shot a 10mm).

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you’ve never shot a 10mm - I’d go with a 9mm instead and get a glock 19.

Not sure where you are but unless you are in grizzly country I don’t see the benefit of a 10mm

If you decide to stick with a 10 I’d go with the Model 20 for maximum shootability

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JJWise
I carry a 38spl for EDC but I’m looking for a better gun to carry in the woods and keep ready in the house. I’d like to get a 10mm, and wanted something I could attach a light to for multiple reasons. Can somebody convince me which model to go with? I think the 20 would fit the bill well but would be hard to conceal in the event I’d want to carry IWB. The 29 would work well concealed carry but I’m not sure about handling the recoil in the smaller platform (I’ve never shot a 10mm).

Ive got a 20, 21,30 and a 29. I carry the 20 and 21 most of the time. At restaurants, Church, walmart or anywhere else guns are permitted. IWB and sometimes OWB.
Why couldnt you unless you are a small framed person. My buddys son is skinny and carries a full sized 1911 45 Auto. But he is normal height.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Get a G23, you'll shoot it more.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I love my Glock 20 but it's took big for me to conceal comfortably. When I'm bumming in the woods or on a tractor I have it on me either in a chest holster or OWB carry. For concealed or just hiking I carry my Glock 19.

As to the 20 vs 29 I went with the 20 because I knew I wasn't going to IWB carry it and the full sized grip and gun fit me better.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Maybe I am missing something on carrying the right size gun. Maybe I need to find some tutorial on selecting the right size gun.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 07/07/18.

HE MENTORS ME.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

The right size gun for me is one that is comfortable in an IWB holster. For me, that gun is not a Glock 20 but it could be for you since you and I aren't the same person.

I'm not small framed either so that's not it, I just didn't care for the size of the 20 IWB in the holster it was in. Since I had a 19 that carried great I'm not spending more money finding a holster to carry the 20.

Maybe if I tried a different holster it would feel better but in my Desantis I did not care for carrying the 20 IWB.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use an old soft IWB holster I bought years ago for a full sized 1911 stainless. Ive spent money on top of money on holsters and still go back to the soft type holsters. The one I have can be changed to left hand IWB carry too.
I have leather Desantis for the M2/M20 and like them too for OWB.
Again maybe Im crazy or just dont mind slight discomfort. We rode around several hours today with me carrying a M21 with a spare mag. Didnt bother me the slightest.
Plus I had 230 gr +P in it too. Really like that too.

HE MENTORS ME.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What does “to carry in the woods” mean? Multi day hike/day hike, how do you plan on carrying it? I don’t like IWB for hiking, around town yes. I usually do a chest rig or a paddle when hiking. I’d take a G23 over a G20 and day of the week. The 10mm doesn’t do diddly dooogy for me over a 40 and If I wanted more horsepower I’d carry my 629 Mt gun or abuse a G21. Love carrying a S&W Shield 9mm in the woods. Great semi auto.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
My favorite Glock is my only gen 2 model 21. It fits me the best.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJWise

Shoot a 10mm, preferably one of each you are considering. If none are available, shoot a G30 and G21 with +:P 45 ACP loads. To me at least, there isn't enough difference in recoil between the 10mm and +P 45 to mention.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
If you’ve never shot a 10mm - I’d go with a 9mm instead and get a glock 19.

Not sure where you are but unless you are in grizzly country I don’t see the benefit of a 10mm

If you decide to stick with a 10 I’d go with the Model 20 for maximum shootability

No grizzlys but we do have a lot of black bears and I’d love to try deer hunting with a handgun. I don’t see a 9mm giving me much advantage over my 38. I do like the 19s, but I don’t foresee this new gun replacing my 38 for EDC.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There isn't a significant difference in recoil between the 20 and 29. If you plan on carrying primarily OWB, get the 20, IWB get the 29. I just went through this decision process and ended up buying a 29.

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by smallfry
What does “to carry in the woods” mean? Multi day hike/day hike, how do you plan on carrying it? I don’t like IWB for hiking, around town yes. I usually do a chest rig or a paddle when hiking. I’d take a G23 over a G20 and day of the week. The 10mm doesn’t do diddly dooogy for me over a 40 and If I wanted more horsepower I’d carry my 629 Mt gun or abuse a G21. Love carrying a S&W Shield 9mm in the woods. Great semi auto.

“In the woods” for me means a lot of different things. Primarily thinking about scouting in NC or WV when I don’t have a bow or rifle with me, but I’m still walking several miles a National Forest. Also for hiking with my wife and dogs, kayaking in remote areas, working on our cattle farm, various other things. I’m also going to be taking it to Wyoming with me as a sidearm for my hunt next year where I (if I draw) will be in or near grizzly country.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently picked up a 29 just because my LGS gave me a "deal I couldn't refuse!" That said, I'm finding that the 10mm is growing on me. The more I shoot it, the more I like it and I'm seriously considering a 40 MOS to do a bit of handgun hunting with. I also agree with others here....a 20 to me would work better if you're wanting to carry OWB....the 29 IWB.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Of the two, it would have to be the 29 for me. A friend has a 21, not a 20, which I've tried to shoot a bit. My stubby fingers won't wrap far enough around the grip to get a good one-handed hold. The 29 isn't good but it is less bad. 1911s suit my hands a lot better. I like 10mm but I prefer it in a revolver.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The G20. You already have a carry gun and the G29's shorter barrel doesn't allow it to capitalize on the 10mm's full power. I can't stand the short grip either even with a Pearce grip extension on the 29's magazines. The G20 is about the same size as a 1911, though slightly thicker. A fully loaded G20 weights less than a fully loaded 10mm 1911. Additionally if you want to hunt with, you'll need to consider minimum barrel length regulations that exist in many states.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Of the two, it would have to be the 29 for me. A friend has a 21, not a 20, which I've tried to shoot a bit. My stubby fingers won't wrap far enough around the grip to get a good one-handed hold. The 29 isn't good but it is less bad. 1911s suit my hands a lot better. I like 10mm but I prefer it in a revolver.

Tom

This depends greatly on which generation Glock we are talking about. The grip overal diameter changes. Gen 2 and Gen 3 are the fattest. In Gen 3 there was also a Short Frame version. THe SHort FRame means the grip is smaller from front to back meaning its overall circumfirance is reduced vs. prior models. When you get to Gen 4 in the Models 20, 21, and 40 they are also reduced in grip circumfirance. I believe they are even a little smaller or at least equal to the Short Frame versions. The original Models 20 and 21 were sized for Goliath. THe newer Gen 4 however is fine. Even my wife can grasp it decently.

Mark in GA

Last edited by MarkinGA; 07/08/18.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The Gen3 SF and Gen4 are the same diameter grip, just a different texture.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you “might” hunt in grizzly country won’t you have a rifle? You should just get a 44 Magnum or 454 Casull? If you want a 29 by all means get one you can never go wrong with a new gun! I hunt and hike in Black Bear country and would shoot one with a 5.56 62 TSX or a 9mm with 147 grain bullets and lot God sort the good from the bad. But get the 29 if you want it or a 27!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

634 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,312
Posts18,449,215
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.