Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Good move. The Remington autos are just about the softest shooting autos out there.

Beretta 390,391 is softer than the Rem's, and I have all the rem's.

Beretta A400 in a 20ga would be a perfect child's and woman's gun, have the stock cut to fit LOP.

Hard to believe how little this shotgun kicks.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I do not like most youth guns, they seem to have too much recoil, and I hate pumps for starters. I started my daughter, first learning the nomenclature of the shotgun, and lots of dry drills. Than she started to shoot my Model 1100 Remington, 20 24 inch barrel, she LOVED that little gun, and could not wait to shoot it..... the stock fit her well

whatever you get, it needs to fit her

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by groundhunter
I do not like most youth guns, they seem to have too much recoil, and I hate pumps for starters. I started my daughter, first learning the nomenclature of the shotgun, and lots of dry drills. Than she started to shoot my Model 1100 Remington, 20 24 inch barrel, she LOVED that little gun, and could not wait to shoot it..... the stock fit her well

whatever you get, it needs to fit her

I have 3 but can never seem to get them all in the picture together. Anyway, mine starting hunting at this age...

[Linked Image]

...and here they are now:

[Linked Image]

Two of them shoot auto's, one is an 1100 20, and the other an 11-48, and since 11-48's have a recoiling barrel, they kick a bit more, so we went with a 28ga.

[Linked Image]

My youngest is a true Daddy's girl and oddly, she outgrew both of her sister's stature wise.
She only wanted to shoot what I shoot, and that's an 870. I love them. So I scaled one down in 28ga for her.

[Linked Image]

Then I personalized their shotguns for them, which they really liked!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Family's are a great thing!

Just like the "Family" here on the Fire....

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Great pics of family, job well done!!

IC B2

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenster99
Great pics of family, job well done!!

TY Sir..

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just get a gun that fits her. I haven't read all through every post,but what matters most is that the gun fits her. It doesn't matter what action it is,as long as she is OK with it. Don't buy a pump if she just insists she doesn't want one. Just get whatever she likes,as long as it fits her.

Main thing is that she won't know what fits her. You will have to talk her through it.If you don't know how to tell,do a little research and find out. Show her some different guns and tell her the advantages and disadvantages of each,AND LET HER DECIDE.

Yes,a gas operated action will have slightly less recoil, but I HAVE FOUND THAT FIT AND A GOOD RECOIL PAD,WITH A GOOD SHOOTING VEST, combined with a gun that fits her,and that she likes, will matter much more to her shooting, and shooting comfort,than which action she shoots.

If anyone gets into competition where they are shooting thousands of rounds ,then the discussion of which action becomes relevant.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Perfect fit....

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good job, DMc....

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jt402
Good job, DMc....

Jack

Thanks Jack,

It's a hoot building these personalized shotguns for the kiddos.

These are the son-in-laws shotguns.

My oldest SIL works for Arctic Cat and their colors were green & black before Textron bought them.

[Linked Image]

Son-in-law #2 is a lefty..

[Linked Image]

SIL #3 prefers an auto..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...and a couple more.

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Another option would be the Franchi Affinity compact in 20 gauge.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Start with lessons from a sporting clay shooter that can teach. He/she will have a reasonably good handle on how to make the 1100 fit which comes secondary to her being taught proper technique. The gun can fit, but if one doesn't know how to take advantage of it little will be gained.

I see it all the time with adults. The gun fits, but they don't know how to use it.

it is no different than with a rifle. You can have the most accurate rig ever made, but if you don't have the skills you won't be hitting much at LR with any consistency.

Last edited by battue; 08/28/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Raising this back up. Shotgun came in. Finally fitted wood furniture to it. Cycles hi brass without issue. At this point, will not even eject low brass field loads. From reading on the web sounds like some 1100's when new need a certain number of high velocity rounds thru them to break in or wear in. Apart from burning up a flat of hi brass loads, any suggestions or recommendations ?

I have pulled it apart and confirmed that the piston, piston seal, barrel seal activator (20 ga), and O-ring are installed in the proper order and orientation. The original barrel was about 20". I replaced it with a Remington 26" barrel. Confirmed that the replacement barrel has two gas ports just like the original barrel. Same issue when I swap back to the original barrel, so, not thinking that the issue is directly related to the barrel length.

All constructive suggestions to get this shotgun to cycle properly with low velocity field/target loads greatly appreciated. Thank you !

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sell it, buy a 391 12ga and shoot light loads. No handicap very light recoil and cycles anything. That 20ga kicks harder then the 391 in 12ga will.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A finicky 1100 is a continuous source of frustration. Take MCH's advice and find a Beretta.

Last edited by battue; 03/09/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've mentioned the Beretta A300 before as my daughter used hers for trap before getting an O/U. They can be found for reasonable prices, in wood or plastic, have adjustable LOP, decent triggers, and forend weights are available. Hers has been perfectly reliable and I find it relatively soft shooting. We used a stick-on cheek riser pad that worked great.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've put some time and money into this project. If it was mine I'd find a gunsmith, probably older, that knows 1100s and have it checked out before dumping it. Could be something simple. The 1100's an old design but IMO is still plenty adequate for the average hunter and occasional clays shooter. There's a lot of shooters still using them. None of the semiauto brands are perfect. Check the various shotgun forums, there's plenty of non 1100 semiauto owners with complaints.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 71 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.