Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I need to find a new place to hunt elk. Plain and simple, I'm tired of the unit I've been hunting.

Here are my criteria/prefrences:

State: Anywhere in the western United States that has a wild elk herd.

Type of Access: Public land, or public/private mix. Non res tag draw with zero points.

Hunting Weapon: In order: Rifle, Muzzleloader, Compound Bow. But open to any.

Style of Hunt: DIY on foot or paid outfitter [If the guided route improves/insures access via landowner vouchers, etc. Given my lack of draw points]

Terrain: I'm tired of hunting in super steep, dark timber terrain chocked full of deadfall. The result is very few glassing opportunities and very difficult miles. I'd like a different type of hunt - one where I can mix in some glassing to catch animal movement, attack terrain laterally by foot, and mix in some mountain country. Just no more wondering if I need crampons to access more country.

Other: I live in the heat of the south, so I'd rather not hunt in more heat. Preference for hunting in cooler conditions vs more heat.

Anything I'm missing? Please ask if there's more information that would be helpful.

My elk hunting years are still in front of me, and I refuse to keep plodding away in the same unit. The west is a big ol place, with elk to be found in various terrain, seasons, etc. I know the common wisdom is choose a unit, get to know it, hunt it hard. But I'd like to see more of the west, hunt elk other places, etc. This also the opportunity to become a more well rounded hunter and make new memories.

O-Ag

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
For Colorado,I can't give an area,but more and more elk are heading to those areas you don't want to hunt or private land. My advice would be to go on private land, with an outfitter.The will have vouchers so no draw and no worry about points. Terrain will probably be more to what you want. Most have seasons that runs three months.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Though, not as good as it was 10 or 15 years ago.....near Kemmerer, Wy. Relatively cool temperatures, lots of 2-track roads, lots of BLM and Forest lands, most of the country is very huntable- not vertical, until recently....much of the private land was crossable, lots of elk - though rarely trophy class bulls. Depending upon where you hunt...it could be “dog hair” thick timber, or open country. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/25/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Colorado can be very hot especially in all the early seasons. The fires here have ravaged elk habitat which will concentrate hunters in the few remaining units. Hard to be remote enough to not see other hunters. Each year the herds of hunters get bigger, and will be even more so this year now that our preference point system has been ruined. There will be more out of state hunters than ever before hunting the over the counter seasons. Beetle killed trees are all falling creating even more deadfalls to walk over. Best to look in another state besides Colorado.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
So far we have:

1) Don't come to Colorado.
2) Try Wyoming
3) Don't come to Colorado.

Got it smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is your budget?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Montana: Contact Broken Arrow Lodge and/or Anchor Outfitting. Both have websites. Good, honest folks. Ask questions. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Terrain: I'm tired of hunting in super steep, dark timber terrain chocked full of deadfall. The result is very few glassing opportunities and very difficult miles. I'd like a different type of hunt - one where I can mix in some glassing to catch animal movement, attack terrain laterally by foot, and mix in some mountain country. Just no more wondering if I need crampons to access more country.

Kind of funny reading the above part of your post. For years I lived in places where hunting elk wasn’t an option yet I have watched hundreds of elk hunts on cable/satellite tv channels over the years and it always really appealed to me. The idea of glassing hillsides with scattered PJ, Oak Brush and Pine trees with scattered patches of aspen and then putting a stalk on a big bugling bull. Now I live in Colorado and am preparing for my first elk hunt here and I’ve spent a good bit of time in the mountains recently and the forest are the thickest clutter of chit I could have ever imagined, and steep......The lay down beetle kill Lodgepole and wall to wall trees makes hiking a nightmare and most of the time you can’t see 20 yards through the woods. Definitely doesn’t look like the elk hunting I watched on tv! Don’t even feel like I need binoculars anymore.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I did not see a price range on the O.P.'s post , but hunts like that are possible in Central Wyoming ,except the Zero points to draw thing...... but it's possible for 8000-12,000 dollars.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
No budgetary limits.

That said - prices like the 8000-12,000 range would not be possible year after year. Thats doable, but not routinely.

Thanks for the information.

Sounds like either:

A) Places like this are kept tight lipped for DIY/Backpack hunting- and I understand that.

or

B) Pay to play.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I think the Vermijo Ranch and Chama L&C in NM were going at about $15K a few years ago.Lodge,full meals, jeep, hike, or horse back. They do everything except pull the trigger.Then there is the Jicarilla Apache res in NM or the White Mtn. Apache res in AZ, a little more pricey

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
They do everything except pull the trigger

Thats def not what I'm looking for. But I understand that when I say "no budget restrictions" --- it comes across as me being willing to pay whatever it takes to shoot whatever I want.

Maybe I did a poor job of wording my criteria.

Am I willing to pay for access? Yes
Do I still want to hunt wild elk? Yes
Do I want my hand held? No

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Idaho...Get a wolf tag also...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

If your willing to hunt on your own or with a friend I would recommend.. Back pack into an area 1 to 2 miles from any road up hill. . This means light weight "TUBE" tent. Enough dry food for at least three days minimum .A minimum of every thing. Pack should not exceed 50lbs + your rifle. Light weight rifle not over 7lbs with scope. Around my area of SW Colorado units74,71,75,751,77.You don't need to have a special draw. Buy an over the counter tag. I have done this many times over the years & has been very successful for me. Be willing to spend two full days packing out "BONED" meat ( down hill ) at least 5 trips. . I have the luxury of living here so know the land well. You will be starting new so takes time to learn the lay of the land. If your earnest & willing this can be a very successful type of hunt. There is a reason that those who are successful on their own elk hunters are successful. Determination & hard work work.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What about Minam unit in Oregon. More tags than 1st. Choice applicants. since it is a draw unit only, you should have 100% chance to draw as 1st choice. It is Gods country...but it’s not easy country. You’ll need guide and Get horse back and book at least one or two years In Advance.
Oregon has cheap tags for cougar but wolves have moved in as well so bring shovel for protection.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

... Now I live in Colorado and am preparing for my first elk hunt here and I’ve spent a good bit of time in the mountains recently and the forest are the thickest clutter of chit I could have ever imagined, and steep......The lay down beetle kill Lodgepole and wall to wall trees makes hiking a nightmare and most of the time you can’t see 20 yards through the woods. Definitely doesn’t look like the elk hunting I watched on tv! Don’t even feel like I need binoculars anymore.

Describes where I hunted the last few years to a T.

Don’t get me wrong, there are big parks, but you’ll never see a bull in the open during daylight.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
No budgetary limits.

That said - prices like the 8000-12,000 range would not be possible year after year. Thats doable, but not routinely.

Thanks for the information.

Sounds like either:

A) Places like this are kept tight lipped for DIY/Backpack hunting- and I understand that.

or

B) Pay to play.

o bar lazy e outfitters.....think I got that right.....Ryan counts …..paradise valley MT......good area.....not that kind of money....be prepared to hunt...….bob

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Keeping hunting the areas you mentioned in your terrain description regardless of the state. Lots of leg workouts. Buy a lever rifle. Eat elk. The end

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho can meet all the requirements, especially the north half of the state. The draw is over for this year but north ID has lots of OTC hunts. The terrain isn't flat anywhere but in the south half, the mountains are higher. South is more open, too, because it's drier. Climbing over deadfall is more common in the north. Glassing is much easier in the south because of the openness.

Most hunts in the south are draw and bull tags can be very difficult to draw but if you would be happy with a cow, those tags have very high drawing odds. Some hunts don't even fill on the 1st drawing. Some of the cow hunts are late season and there's a risk of getting snowed out. Last year it happened to us 3 weeks before the season ended. It closed all the side roads and camping spots. We couldn't even get off the highway.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
746 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 87 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.