Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There are only sections that require divers, there are sections that require full climbing gear. But of course those would have been staged to hoist the boys up.

It's a daisy chain with various people/jobs at various points.

That would make sense, as long as they have the gear and air for those who need it. Oxygen levels are dropping.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
D-day, must be a dire situation...swimming them out was the last resort.

Best wishes and PRAYERS to the boys and the rescuers
It appears to be a last resort. If the weather does what's forecast, the water could get too deep to bring them out. The underwater distance could get too far to swim. They're racing the storms.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by kellory
There are only sections that require divers, there are sections that require full climbing gear. But of course those would have been staged to hoist the boys up.

That would make sense, as long as they have the gear and air for those who need it. Oxygen levels are dropping.

The discussion about O2 levels dropping pertains to where the boys are, I'm guessing less of a problem at other areas.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
D-day, must be a dire situation...swimming them out was the last resort.

Best wishes and PRAYERS to the boys and the rescuers
It appears to be a last resort. If the weather does what's forecast, the water could get too deep to bring them out. The underwater distance could get too far to swim. They're racing the storms.

You say last resort, I say well planned, thought out operation. I guarantee none there are thinking this is a last resort operation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

The discussion about O2 levels dropping pertains to where the boys are, I'm guessing less of a problem at other areas.

I think it is more in general. They said it was decreasing due to the high traffic of rescuers in addition to the boys. All of them had to pass twice through the other areas as well. (Where they rested)

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the available options stated by the rescuers, from drilling a hole,,,to waiting 3 months, swimming the boys was listed as "last resort". Obviously they made the call to move now, I'm sure it's in the best interest of the boys safety.

They are weak and low on oxygen, it's now or never.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems like it's the best option and best options are not last resorts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone else think there will be either a locked gate at the entrance, or an escape shaft dug in the dry months after this?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
4 are out

As has been said.

It's the only chance. Anything else is pure fantasy. So much half-assed misinformation on this.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/08/18.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Godspeed

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know how many of you have been through the Asian monsoons, but I sure as hell would not want to be trapped underground during one. You can damn near drown being ABOVE ground when it rains that hard. We're talking feet of rain, not inches.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems like it's the best option and best options are not last resorts.

I think they planned as best they could.

But now it's down to the nut cuttin', and they had to do it.

That's all anyone can ask.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I was in Explorer Scouts we went in to a cave. This was up in North Georgia, 1964, there was no park, no signs, just climbed a hundred yards up a mountain. There was a six foot high black hole in the side of the mountain. Our Advisor tied a rope around a pine tree and threw it in to the dark hole and we went in, hand over hand fifty feet straight down to the cave. I was 13 and I went first. No harness, no helmet. This was 1964. I guess I stuck my flashlight into my pocket I don't remember.
Eight of us and we went maybe a quarter mile into that cave. No water in this cave.
I enjoyed seeing the stalagtites and stalagmites etc. We stayed in there 2 hours and I was also the first one out! I must say I was glad to get out that place was scary and I felt claustrophobic in there.

When I was in college we went down to Florida and went scuba diving in a crystal spring. This spring was 200 feet across and the water perfectly clear, like looking through air. At the sandy bottom in the bright sunlight I could see perfectly.
I went 60 feet down to the bottom and there was a cave! Nobody had told me about that. About six feet high. It was pitch black dark in that cave. I didn't have a light. I went about 2 feet into that cave, and I got the hell out. Going in to an underwater cave is some scary stuff, I would never do it.

There is a scuba club at Ga Tech and every year they go diving in those caves in Florida. About every third year you read about a couple of the Ga. Tech divers dying in those flooded caves. Dangerous stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here in San Antonio for the longest time we had three dead cave divers in our aquifer, the one they knew where he was they were able to finally fish his remains out a few years back after like 25 years. The other two were swept away by a strong current over by Uvalde. Not a fate I’d wish on anyone.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/44755093

More details. And the rains have arrived.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How long does it take for the rain to find it's way into the cave?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It is one dicey operation. It is scary to watch live on tv, hope everybody gets out of this alive.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Limestone has big cracks, so it is pretty much instantaneous. Water will rise quickly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not long. 10 hour break while diver prep for next attempt. Read the link, has quite a bit of small details.

There was a mixup with volunteers earlier on where they set up and started pumping water without coordination with the main detail. They didn't realize they were just pumping water back into the caverns.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like they should have had more divers set to go, no need stopping just go !

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.