Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
If I want a single action 45 that I can shoot and use for a long time what's a good choice? I want a lighter one than a blackhawk. Was told the cheaper ones don't hold up well with extended use

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
New Vaquero maybe?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No price concern, Freedom Arms 97

Price concern, sorry but it's Ruger.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Cimarron or uberti? Those aren't quality?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There's a sale on Cimarron right now, can't recall the seller. Gunbroker? $395?

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A lot of it depends on the power level you want to use. If you're OK with 250-grain bullets at 900 fps, then you have lot of options. For more power, you need a Ruger Blackhawk or Bisley.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Uberti/Cimmaron are good quality though not as robust as the Ruger. If you're limiting your loads to factory or moderate reloads, a Uberti is a fine choice. If you're wanting to shoot heavy loads go with the Ruger.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Get a Flattop convertible.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pacecars
New Vaquero maybe?

This. And get the convertible model with a .45 ACP cylinder (for all the reasons you already know). The gun will outlive you, your kids, and your grandkids.

https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/specSheets/5144.html

[Linked Image]

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha! 'flave and I were posting at the same time!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Genius minds and all that...

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger 44 spec flat top. It is a hammer with cast loads and Unique. Suspect the 45 is the same
I was surprised at the nice finish on this pistol. Lipseys special edition as I remember

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Blackhawk has the aluminum grip frame. 37.4 ounces.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The newer Ruger's with three digit SN Pre-fixes will not handle as stout of loads that the older Two digit pre-fix numbers will handle. However, the newer frames are trimmer and are well balanced. My advice is to Ruger over the import stuff. Do check out the older Rugers against the newer ones and make your decision.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Lennie
The newer Ruger's with three digit SN Pre-fixes will not handle as stout of loads that the older Two digit pre-fix numbers will handle. However, the newer frames are trimmer and are well balanced. My advice is to Ruger over the import stuff. Do check out the older Rugers against the newer ones and make your decision.

You talkin’ Vaqueros or all of them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flattop or new vaquero. I am too lazy to look up weights, but I believe both come with a steel grip frame vs the Blackhawk aluminum. The bigger gun may weigh less.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up one of the Lipsey’s stainless Blackhawk Flattop convertibles in 45LC/45ACP with the 4 5/8” barrel. It weighs right at 40 oz, and being a mid-framed model (as all the New Model Vaqueros and Blackhawk Flattops are now), you cannot use the Tier 3 Ruger Only loads like you can with the large framed models. That’s fine with me, it will still handle Tier 2 ammo which works fine for deer hunting at reasonable ranges, and as I have a truckload of 45 ACP, it will primarily shoot that through the second cylinder. Haven’t had it out to the range yet, buy it feels great in the hand, and is a great looking revolver.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Lennie

You talkin’ Vaqueros or all of them?

Ruger now uses their medium frame on both Vaqueros and Blackhawks. The medium frame will have a three digit pre-fix in the serial number. I am not positive, but medium frames are offered in 44 special, 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 357 Mag. I don't know which frame is currently being used for the 41 Mag, 10MM, or 30 carbine.

The super Blackhawk frame is being used for 44 mag, 454 Casull and 480 Ruger.

Ruger Super Blackhawks are still a heavy frame.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by pacecars
New Vaquero maybe?

This. And get the convertible model with a .45 ACP cylinder (for all the reasons you already know). The gun will outlive you, your kids, and your grandkids.

https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/specSheets/5144.html

[Linked Image]

Note the three digit SN pre-fix which denotes this Ruger as a medium frame.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good info posted already. As noted, it depends largely on whether you want authentic Colt operation and handling, or a little more strength and far better durability from a mid-frame Ruger.

Modern Colts and clones are good strong revolvers capable of sending the RCBS 45-270-SAA (which drops about 285 grains) from 900 to 1000 fps while staying within 14,000 PSI. Brian Pearce has done considerable load development with this bullet for the various pressure levels of 45 Colt loads.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

Colts and clones are more prone to breakage of small parts such as the bolt and hand springs, but they are cheap and it pays to keep spares on hand. This applies to heavily-used blackpowder Colt clones as well. Music wire bolt springs are available (from Dixie Gun Works etc) which essentially eliminate breakage of that part, but they often lighten the trigger pull by at least a pound. This is fine but if your Colt/Clone has a three pound pull to begin with, take that into account.

As noted it is hard to beat a 4 5/8" New Model 45 Blackhawk for a lightweight, powerful single action. I've had several and with their aluminum ejector rod housing and grip frame, feel lighter in the hand than my 4 5/8" New Vaquero. But the NV balances better and while it's limited to Tier II.20,000 PSI loads, I like it better than any Ruger SA I've ever had. Ruger came very near to duplicating the Colt SA grip with the three-digit guns and they point and handle far better for me than any other New Model.

Last edited by SargeMO; 07/08/18.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.