Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I am pretty sure the New Vaquero and Flat Tops are on the same frame and the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are the same size frame including the 5 shot Bisleys.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by pacecars
I am pretty sure the New Vaquero and Flat Tops are on the same frame and the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are the same size frame including the 5 shot Bisleys.

I believe this is correct.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
FA specs show this at 35.5 oz (1/2 oz more for octagon bbl). Mine was bought used and I've shot 25,000 to 30,000 rnds (most rnds I've ever put thru a revolver). It also has an auxiliary 45 ACP cyl. Shoots "Ruger Only" or standard 45 Colt loads (ACPs w/aux cyl). Five shot, small frame (basically same size as Colt SAA). Downside - PRICE.

[Linked Image]

Paul

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
If I want a single action 45 that I can shoot and use for a long time what's a good choice? I want a lighter one than a blackhawk. Was told the cheaper ones don't hold up well with extended use

If you give us some details as to what you plan to do with the gun, what loads you want to be able to shoot, fixed or adjustable sights and how long a barrel you want maybe we can narrow it down a little for you....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Don't care about the sights. Going to shoot the 900 fps 240 grain load. Would like to use for fun as well as be able to hunt deer

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Get a Flattop convertible.

That pretty well sums it up. I had a blue Flattop 44 Special and found a Stainless one. My 45 Colts are full size Vaquero and full size blackhawks. Problem is if you get stainless it's all steel and slightly heavier. If you get a blue one with an alloy grip frame it's slightly less weight. Enough to make any difference? That's up to you. The Convertible is a fun idea for sure.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is my Ruger Vaquero Bisley (orig. model), with stag grips and a brass front sight overlay- makes it much easier to see, especially against a black or dark target. I carry it with 325 gr. cast bullets, at around 1100 fps- great load for black bear and mtn. lion country, IMO.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Vaquero.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Don't care about the sights. Going to shoot the 900 fps 240 grain load. Would like to use for fun as well as be able to hunt deer

I like fixed sight guns but adjustable can make life much easier.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Ahhh......No.
incorrect

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Ahhh......No.
incorrect

Steer us straight.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by Lennie
The newer Ruger's with three digit SN Pre-fixes will not handle as stout of loads that the older Two digit pre-fix numbers will handle. However, the newer frames are trimmer and are well balanced. My advice is to Ruger over the import stuff. Do check out the older Rugers against the newer ones and make your decision.

You talkin’ Vaqueros or all of them?

Ruger now uses their medium frame on both Vaqueros and Blackhawks. The medium frame will have a three digit pre-fix in the serial number. I am not positive, but medium frames are offered in 44 special, 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 357 Mag. I don't know which frame is currently being used for the 41 Mag, 10MM, or 30 carbine.

The super Blackhawk frame is being used for 44 mag, 454 Casull and 480 Ruger.

Ruger Super Blackhawks are still a heavy frame.

I believe vaquero's and flattops use the same frame.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Ahhh......No.
incorrect

Steer us straight.

The New Vaquero is build on the 3 screw sized 357 frame. Colt sized. Before the larger frame came about when Ruger wanted something stronger for the 44 mag

And they started making that sized again. And they made it in 45 colt.

2 different sized frame.

The New Vaquero is not the Vaquero, and has nothing to do with new/old model before anyone says anything

Go research it and thank me before you shoot full house Ruger loads in a New Vaquero

Last edited by 257_X_50; 07/09/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A quick way to tell the frame size for all Blackhawks other than Vaqueros is to look for the letter code NV (for New Vaquero IIRC) in the catalog designation - not the model number.

E.g,:
Ruger Bisley Flattop RURNVB-445-SPCL - mid-size frame
Stainless Bisley Flattop RUKRNVB-444-SPL
Stainless "regular" Flattop .44 Spl RUKNVB444SPCL
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible RUBN455X - no NV - this is built on the "44 Magnum" frame
Ruger Blackhawk Flattop .45 Convertible RUNVB-44X
Ruger Blackhawk .357 convertible RUBN34X - built on the large frame
Ruger Blackhawk Flattop .357 convertible RUNVB-

It gets tricky for original large frame Vaqueros and mid-size frame New Vaqueros:
Vaquero "Small Frame" .357 RUNV34
But the Talo Vaquero .44 Magnum which is definitely not on the mid-size frame is RUKBNV-455-I - also has NV in the catalog designation.

Ruger is no help, they don't say which is which on their website and they don't use the term New Vaquero, just Vaquero. At least not that I can find or that is readily apparent. If someone knows where they make those distinctions I'd love to be enlightened. Lipsey's has the term "Small frame" in their descriptions of some Vaqueros whereas it is missing in others, like the Talo .44 Mag, but I have no idea how consistent they are with that.

I'm really surprised that any firearms company wouldn't make clear designations about those frame sizes, especially with lawyers circling like buzzards over road kill waiting for any chance to sue. Ruger will tell you not to use anything but factory level ammo but still, they really threw some monkey wrenches in the idea of "Ruger only" loads when they introduced the mix and match mid-size frames.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or just put one of each size next to one another........obvious

Everyone should have both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[/quote]
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
A quick way to tell for all Blackhawks other than Vaqueros is to look for the letter code NV (for New Vaquero IIRC) in the catalog designation - not the model number.

E.g,:
Ruger Bisley Flattop RURNVB-445-SPCL
Stainless Bisley Flattop RUKRNVB-444-SPL
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible RUBN455X - no NV - this is built on the "44 Magnum" frame
Ruger Blackhawk Flattop .45 Convertible RUNVB-44X
Ruger Blackhawk .357 convertible RUBN34X - built on the large frame
Ruger Blackhawk Flattop .357 convertible RUNVB-

It gets tricky for original large frame Vaqueros and mid-size frame New Vaqueros:
Vaquero "Small Frame" .357 RUNV34
But the Talo Vaquero .44 Magnum which is definitely not on the mid-size frame is RUKBNV-455-I - also has NV in the catalog designation.

Ruger is no help, they don't say which is which on their website and they don't use the term New Vaquero, just Vaquero. At least not that I can find or that is readily apparent. If someone knows where they make those distinctions I'd love to be enlightened. Lipsey's has the term "Small frame" in their descriptions of some Vaqueros whereas it is missing in others, like the Talo .44 Mag, but I have no idea how consistent they are with that.

I'm really surprised that any firearms company wouldn't make clear designations about those frame sizes, especially with lawyers circling like buzzards over road kill waiting for any chance to sue. Ruger will tell you not to use anything but factory level ammo but still, they really threw some monkey wrenches in the idea of "Ruger only" loads when they introduced the mix and match mid-size frames.

And they look smaller smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My Blackhawk 45 convertible is only a couple years old. it's definitely the big frame, two-digit serial prefix.

Seems to me the older first Vaqueros, were all built on the magnum frame, as are the Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk Bisley.

Then the New Vaquero and the newer Flat-Tops are in the smaller frame.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My Blackhawk 45 convertible is only a couple years old. it's definitely the big frame, two-digit serial prefix.

Seems to me the older first Vaqueros, were all built on the magnum frame, as are the Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk Bisley.

Yes.

I have no idea what 257x50 is trying to convey.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes.

I have no idea what 257x50 is trying to convey.

That there are 2 size of frames.

There are 45 convertibles in both sizes.

Don’t fire full house loads in the smaller frame.

Edit. I reread. Flat tops to me are the old 3 screw flat tops.
Sorry

Last edited by 257_X_50; 07/09/18.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Roger that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 160user, 14 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.