Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillbill
Not sure about snow but I just put a set of BFG Mud Terrain KM 3s on the ole 2000 Dodge diesel and I'm very impressed with this tire, very quiet, good in rain, excellent in mud and rocks and they ride very good for what they are. I would imagine they will do well in deep snow as well.

There doesn't seem to be much or any difference between the KM2 and KM3 tread pattern. Had a set of 35" KM2's on a lifted Ford Expedition and from brand new they absolutely SUCKED in the snow. Good lookin tires...……...but friggin WORTHLESS in snow.

Any tire you can find with the original BFG Mud Terrain KM tread pattern will take you places in the snow you got no business being.

[Linked Image]

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
That's similar to the Firestone Destination MTs we have on our suburban. Never got stuck with those, but they are not made anymore.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The few posters that stated go with a narrow tires are right on the money. Those big wide tires are fine for summer use, but in deep snow you want a narrow tire to cut through and not plow and build resistance. That is a wide tires fault in snow, its width. Just think if you had tires that are 20 inches wide. Do you think they will work in any depth of snow? Tall and narrow studded tires are the best. Add chains to the front tires next. If you need more traction add rear chains. Adding chains turns a truck into a traction beast. And yes in a pickup you need weight RIGHT over the rear tires. I place about 500 pounds in a 2500 crew cab Chevy bed. Good luck.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I agree and have studded Dura Tracks for winter. They just don't work as well or maybe it is the Diesel pick-ups differences from a gas engine that caused me to ask. This is my first diesel so maybe it handles enough differently that tires are not the problem, but getting used to it.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I have two sets of wheels for my 2500. My driveway is 1/2 mile long all up hill. Pure mud tires are all that will work in deep snow. And as abilene said the narrower the better. When I put my winter wheels on the truck I go ahead and put the chains in the tool box. IF you get stuck with the chains on your are really stuck. I have pushed fluffy light snow till I had to turn on the wipers on to see. If you run the mud tires in winter only they will last several years. They don't last long on the highway though. That is what the summer set of wheels if for.

God Bless, Louis

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1
I put a set of Nitto Exo Grapplers on my '11 F250/6.7L PSD in Jan. They're fantastic in both deep snow as well as hard-packed snow/ice. I have them on a 2nd set of rims and took them off in May. I'll put them back on in Oct or so. I put about 5K mi on them last winter. They're superior to BFG KO 1 & 2, Nitto Trail Grapplers, and Dura-Tracs for winter performance in particular as I've had them all on either my current truck or my previous '06 F-250 diesel.

Update. Just spent 9 days running 3300+ mi on the Exo's. Our 10 day elk hunt turned into 3-days as we both got our elk. So, my buddy and I spent 4 days driving different parts of MT neither of us had ever hunted just exploring new country and how to access (or not) it. We have deer tags, didn't expect to fill them, mostly just exploring so we drove a ton and hunted very little. We didn't run any deep snow or mud. We did however drive a LOT of gravel and 2-tracks. I've got just short of 9k mi on 285/70/18's @ 65PSI on the truck listed above. 133k total on my truck. The traction these things provide on loose gravel/rocks is truly amazing. I ran in some very steep country and 1st gear/4-low allowed me to just crawl and creep along up anything I had the guts to try. More amazing to me was the places (steep and loose) I was able to travel in 2WD. I don't have any chunking or slicing of the tread at all after running over 1k Mi of gravel/2-track this week. They don't really pick up or throw a lot of rocks, however, when they do, they throw them HARD and far. If trailering much with them I'd say a rock-guard of some sort would be mandatory unless you don't mind beating up whatever you're pulling.

The rear tires have 14 and 16 32nds, fronts are both @ 15/32 and worn very evenly, no cupping presently.

These tires cost me ~2MPG vs. the Continental Cont-trac that came from the factory but virtually nothing in MPG vs. BFG ATKO2, Nitto Terra-Grappler, and are ~1MPG better than Nitto Trail Grapplers all of which I've had on this very truck.

The 2 questions left to be answered by time and miles are:

1. Will the good traction remain as the tires wear?
2. How many miles will the tires have acceptable tread and traction?

I should get ~10K more on them by next spring and have an idea regarding longevity and somewhat worn-traction.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I run the Goodyear Duratrac's on both of my trucks.

One is a '07 Ram 1500 QC SB, 4x4, 5.7L gas, auto, 3.92 LSD w/7.5' Fisher SD Plow (little over 500 lbs. w/mount) with 480 lbs. of ballast weight against the tailgate. Wife drives it and it's my back up plow truck.
The other is a '15 Ram 2500 RC LB, 4x4, 6.4L gas, auto, 4.10 LSD w/8.5' Fisher XtremeV v-plow (about 1,000 lbs. w/mount) with 600 lbs. of ballast weight against the tailgate. It's my daily driver and main plow truck.

I need a tire that's good in mud and snow. I go off road in the warmer months and hunting season and of course I plow in the winter. We average 125" of snow here and 200"+ 30-45 miles north of me on the Tug Hill. The Duratrac's have worked great for me as far as traction go's.

The problem I'm having on my '15 2500 is every time I have them rotated (every 5,000 miles) I have to have them rebalanced. Then after about 1,000 or so miles I get a vibration from them again. Plus they wore down fairly quick. Some guys have said they have the same issues with their Duratrac's on 3/4 and 1 tons.

So I've been thinking about going with a milder AT tire mid April-mid Oct. and a dedicated snow tire mid Oct.-mid April. I just don't know which snow tires to get. I've pull guys out that were stuck with dedicated snow tires including blizzak's in places I had no trouble going through with my Duratrac's. I don't want to take a step backwards as far as winter traction go's.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Studded Toyo M55

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by NYH1

One is a '07 Ram 1500 QC SB, 4x4, 5.7L gas, auto, 3.92 LSD w/7.5' Fisher SD Plow (little over 500 lbs. w/mount) with 480 lbs. of ballast weight against the tailgate. Wife drives it and it's my back up plow truck.
The other is a '15 Ram 2500 RC LB, 4x4, 6.4L gas, auto, 4.10 LSD w/8.5' Fisher XtremeV v-plow (about 1,000 lbs. w/mount) with 600 lbs. of ballast weight against the tailgate. It's my daily driver and main plow truck.

I need a tire that's good in mud and snow. I go off road in the warmer months and hunting season and of course I plow in the winter. We average 125" of snow here and 200"+ 30-45 miles north of me on the Tug Hill. The Duratrac's have worked great for me as far as traction go's.

The problem I'm having on my '15 2500 is every time I have them rotated (every 5,000 miles) I have to have them rebalanced. Then after about 1,000 or so miles I get a vibration from them again. Plus they wore down fairly quick. Some guys have said they have the same issues with their Duratrac's on 3/4 and 1 tons.

So I've been thinking about going with a milder AT tire mid April-mid Oct. and a dedicated snow tire mid Oct.-mid April. I just don't know which snow tires to get. I've pull guys out that were stuck with dedicated snow tires including blizzak's in places I had no trouble going through with my Duratrac's. I don't want to take a step backwards as far as winter traction go's.

NYH1.

I loved Duratracs on my last F-150, hated them on my '06 F250.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know how deep you're talking about. During winter I if there's even 6" of snow around the house I can't get back up the grade to the shop with my Duramax. Not with highway treads. Winters the Duratracs go on and work fine in even 12" deep snow, which is about all the deeper it gets around the house. They work well on the road too. I like them.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What abilene said.

Go Narrower, little taller if can (usually go down 20-30mm width and up one aspect ratio size as available). Put 6-8 sand tubes in back over axle. Always having chains available reduces the chances of needing them. Wheel size will dictate offerings of course - best for mine thus far has been center-siped, studded maxxis bighorns (285/75r16 iirc). Country road, forest road truck not my commuter vehicle. Nose-heavy ‘67 f260 highboy. Had poor luck with bfg km in snow fwiw though granted they were older tires

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

NYH1.

I loved Duratracs on my last F-150, hated them on my '06 F250.

Performance/traction wise I'm more then happy with the Duratrac's on both of my trucks. It's the other issues with the ones on my 2500 I'm not crazy about. I have to figure out pretty soon what I'm going to do. Our snow season isn't to far off.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My issue w/Duratracs on my F-250 was squishy sidewalls even when running empty. I didn't leave them on long enough to determine their traction level.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've had no issues driving through snow up to 18" and no issues with traction in packed snow and ice with Duratracs on my '11 F150. I liked them so much I put them on my new to me '14 F150 when I recently traded up. A lot of the ranchers/ farmers, USFS and Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks trucks are running Duratracs around here.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Running BFG TA/KO2’s on my ‘16 F250 Diesel and love them. Had them siped at the tire shop. Ran the same tires on my F150 when we lived in NM, not much snow but some nasty rocks in the backcountry, and they held up great. Son has that truck in WNY now and loves the tires. Yes it snows there, but we get 2x here.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Razz
Running BFG TA/KO2’s on my ‘16 F250 Diesel and love them.

I had a set of BFG ATKO2's on my current '11 F250 PSD, ran them ~40Kmi. The NItto Exo's are better in snow whether it's deep, packed hard/icy, or slushy. They pick up/throw fewer rocks and so far are more resistant to slicing/chunking than were the BFG KO2's. The Exo's have better traction on rocks/gravel than did the BFG KO2. The Exo's are louder on pavement and ride a bit rougher due to I assume the stiffer side-walls.

I have no affiliation with Nitto or selling any tires. It's pretty rare that something impresses me to the degree that those Exo's did last week.

Last edited by horse1; 10/30/18.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Have had great luck with Blizzaks and also good luck with the Firestone Wintermaster

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I had a set of BFG ATKO2's on my current '11 F250 PSD, ran them ~40Kmi. The NItto Exo's are better in snow whether it's deep, packed hard/icy, or slushy. They pick up/throw fewer rocks and so far are more resistant to slicing/chunking than were the BFG KO2's. The Exo's have better traction on rocks/gravel than did the BFG KO2. The Exo's are louder on pavement and ride a bit rougher due to I assume the stiffer side-walls.

I have no affiliation with Nitto or selling any tires. It's pretty rare that something impresses me to the degree that those Exo's did last week.

Those NItto Exo's look like a decent tire.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good to know, will keep it in mind when I need new tires.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I have had similar issues with my '11 F250. The dealership was very good about trying to diagnose anything/everything mechanical. Steering stabilizer, shocks, tie-rods, etc, etc, etc. Finally came down to some tires just don't have enough sidewall rigidity to run @ the 65PSI recommended. We fiddled with tire pressure a bit and found that BFG ATKO2's needed to be run @ 70PSI and Nitto Trail Grappler @ 75PSI to avoid the "death wobble". I ran 3300Mi last week from rolling @ idle to bumping the limiter @ ~95MPH. Interstate speed limit here in ND is 75, and 80 in MT, I set the cruise @+5 for hundreds of miles at a time. While the tires certainly have some highway noise, there is virtually 0 feedback through the wheel until you intentionally steer. They've been that way from day 1, have 8500+Mi on them now with no re-balance and able to run @ 65PSI.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.