Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like it Scott, alot. What's the scoop?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
BP-B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do like the Nightforce. Just heavier than I’d prefer. If this Vortex has issues I’ll put my SHV on. I’d love the NF 2.5-10x32, from what I’m seeing the difference in light gathering of the slightly smaller objective is minimal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rifle is looking mighty fine.
If that's your 270, you did great.
Congrats my friend.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

JG,
The rifle was originally a .280 that I sent out for a new barrel and overall makeover.
Nathan Chesney (hbrifles.com) had new barrel in hand right about the time our friend BobinNH passed away so a new .277 tube was ordered in honor of his favorite chambering. smile

Anyway, I originally wanted a reasonably svelte scope for this rifle but I've gotten somewhat accustomed to the NXS on other rifles. The extra 6-7 ounces isn't a deal breaker for me.
Nathan got the weight of the stock down so nicely that it's really only a couple of ounces from where I'd planned with a Leupold 2.5x8ish scope.

I don't think Bob would approve of the jazz-hands-paint and pad but hey, it's a .270. LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by JGRaider

JG,
The rifle was originally a .280 that I sent out for a new barrel and overall makeover.
Nathan Chesney (hbrifles.com) had new barrel in hand right about the time our friend BobinNH passed away so a new .277 tube was ordered in honor of his favorite chambering. smile

Anyway, I originally wanted a reasonably svelte scope for this rifle but I've gotten somewhat accustomed to the NXS on other rifles. The extra 6-7 ounces isn't a deal breaker for me.
Nathan got the weight of the stock down so nicely that it's really only a couple of ounces from where I'd planned with a Leupold 2.5x8ish scope.

I don't think Bob would approve of the jazz-hands-paint and pad but hey, it's a .270. LOL

I jabbed with Bob in pm’s quite a bit.. I laugh to think of what the conversation would’ve been when I killed a buck with the model 70 270 last year Shooting 170 EOL’s and a 5.5-22 NXS that was half the length of the rifle!

Last edited by rosco1; 07/10/18.
IC B2

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
rosco-

laugh Yeah, that would have been conversation fodder for sure.

WWP53D
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Went online to check them out and noticed Cameralandny no longer carry’s Vortex, anyone know why?

Last edited by old_willys; 07/10/18.

Ted
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by koshkin
I am glad you like the reticle.

I originally drew it with mrad subtensions, but the idea is the same.

ILya

I sure wish they'd release a mil-based G4BDC! I have one of these bound for a little BRNO Effect FS in .243, but I'm a mil guy. I'll learn to work with it, as I love everything else about it for a light weight, set-and-forget SFP hunting optic, but I'd buy one in mil in a heartbeat!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Basher

ILya

I sure wish they'd release a mil-based G4BDC! I have one of these bound for a little BRNO Effect FS in .243, but I'm a mil guy. I'll learn to work with it, as I love everything else about it for a light weight, set-and-forget SFP hunting optic, but I'd buy one in mil in a heartbeat!

You and me both. I keep trying. If they do not do it, perhaps I'll convince some other manufacturer to use it. My original concept was effectively a mil version of what became G4 BDC reticle with an illuminated center dot. I still want to see that in a scope, so I'll keep at it.

ILya

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know why NF does not sell the number 4 in North America, that would encourage a lot more hunters to use their products.

IC B3

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
jimmy, perhaps we begin by showing some good faith in referring to our rifles as "stalking rifles". smile

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

ILya

You and me both. I keep trying. If they do not do it, perhaps I'll convince some other manufacturer to use it. My original concept was effectively a mil version of what became G4 BDC reticle with an illuminated center dot. I still want to see that in a scope, so I'll keep at it.

ILya

ILya, I am sure, working together, we could convince one of a few mfg's to do it smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I don't know why NF does not sell the number 4 in North America, that would encourage a lot more hunters to use their products.

Not really. Outside this forum, no one wants Number 4’s, thicker reticles, small objectives, etc.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, that may be. I certainly don't know but suspect there are more guys shooting targets than still-hunting whitetail in any seriously dedicated fashion.

For me, still hunting in often dim light, snap shooting is more often than not. I do better with a heavy crosshair. Once they bolt and are underway, nothing is perfect. Too, late evening you are sitting 99% of the time hopefully closer to wherever you left the truck.

Lightweight is better as I not growing younger nor the days shorter.

fwiw, I did call Leupold on the VX5 and the reticle's subtension are thinner than they appeared.

Defend the Constitution
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve found the G4 BDC reticle to be as good a hunting reticle as I’ve found. I’d take it over the Forceplex every time. Very precise for shooting at paper or at longer distances, some windage reference, while also very good for quick pointing and for visibility in dark timber/low light. A NF SHV 3-10 with that reticle would be a great scope by my estimation.

Last edited by prm; 07/28/18.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

ILya

ILya

ILya, I am sure, working together, we could convince one of a few mfg's to do it smile

I applaud your enthusiasm. One of these days, I'll convince someone to make a "Dark Lord" special for me,

ILya

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

ILya

ILya

I applaud your enthusiasm. One of these days, I'll convince someone to make a "Dark Lord" special for me,

ILya

With your love for the tweener range scopes for hunting (like me) and the advancement of technology,I hope it will be a 1-8X42 with your G4 mill, illuminated dot.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the subtensions of that reticle. It looks well thought out--like a blend of a #4 and a #1 with the bonus BDC feature.

While I appreciate a fine lit dot for precision, can definitely live without it with that 16" center if conditions were dim enough to fade the dot and the finer bars on the 32mm objective scope.

Defend the Constitution
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

With your love for the tweener range scopes for hunting (like me) and the advancement of technology,I hope it will be a 1-8X42 with your G4 mill, illuminated dot.

There are good technical reasons why 1-8x42 is unlikely. However, there is already a 1.5-9x45 (I am testing it), and while a little heavy, it would be a very good platform for such a reticle. Riflescopes are a very saturated market, but there are still a few niches that can be addressed. Perhaps, I'll do it at some point.

ILya

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I also think there are good reasons why manufacturers are making straight 1-8x scopes now. The trijicon FFP 1-8 x 28 is not too bad at 1X or 8X to my eyes, however I am liking the idea of the 17 ounce NX8,but thanks to this discussion now looking at the reticle in this vortex 1.5 -8 x 32 this looks interesting as well, just don't know if it would compete with the 1X scopes on the low end regards FOV and speed of use.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
821 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 77 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.