-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Contrary to your opinion there seems to be millions who like the POS (sic) m700s.

Jim

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's just no telling why millions of people do what they do, like voted for Trudeau perhaps?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thought.
I started reading about people hunting with an empty chamber years ago.
I thought, "WTF". I had never even considered such a thing.
Then I thought "okay, these guides have to hunt with people they don't know, everyday."
It's a safety thing in those circumstances.

Then I come here, and find people who empty chamber by choice, when alone.
I don't care what they do, it's definitely safe, so go for it.
My deer kill would have been much smaller if I hunted that way,
but, they don't hunt where, and how, I hunt.64

It's a balance thing, everything has risks, we try to balance them as we see fit.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Another thought.
I started reading about people hunting with an empty chamber years ago.
I thought, "WTF". I had never even considered such a thing.
Then I thought "okay, these guides have to hunt with people they don't know, everyday."
It's a safety thing in those circumstances.

Then I come here, and find people who empty chamber by choice, when alone.
I don't care what they do, it's definitely safe, so go for it.
My deer kill would have been much smaller if I hunted that way,
but, they don't hunt where, and how, I hunt.64

It's a balance thing, everything has risks, we try to balance them as we see fit.

So how many got away from you when you hunted with an empty chamber?

If I'm moving, climbing through alder patches, the hammer is dropped on an empty chamber.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I almost always hunt with an empty chamber, IF I'm transiting from or to a stand. There are situations however that do call for a loaded chamber and in Africa, that is the rule for the most part.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will admit the campfire has changed my behavior about carrying hot in the chamber. Even alone, but especially now that I have kids involved.

This is my least favorite feature about my favorite rifle: Cooper. It freaks me out when the rifle is on pack or sling in rough country and the bolt slips wide open. It has happened more than once.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Contrary to your opinion there seems to be millions who like the POS (sic) m700s.

Jim

Yeah ----------- because they work! I am ONLY 1 but I've had a BUNCH of 700s and still have several.

NOT ONE PROBLEM!

IF - IF you know what you're doing, the triggers are easy to adjust to preference. AFTER I learned how, I adjusted every trigger for travel and weight of pull. Not NARY a problem.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

None, because I have never 'intentionally' hunted an 'empty' chamber.

All I can say is that on many occasions IF I'd had to chamber a round --- the deer would be gone. There isn't enuff time - sometimes.

I said, "intentionally" because I remember ONCE when I was thru hunting, I opened the bolt - W T H ? no round loaded.
I AND others have had deer to move off immediately when they 'heard' some small click or metallic noise. I've never had any B A, Lever, or Pump that you can load a cartridge W/O making noise.

Each to Their Own.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I usually walk in and out in the dark so I keep the chamber empty then. I also keep the chamber empty with safety on when climbing up or down from a stand or crossing a fence or other obstacles. Inadvertent discharges are a result of lack of training and familiarity with the weapon usually coupled with irresponsible behavior. Bolt locked or not, personal choice. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If I'm moving, climbing through alder patches, the hammer is dropped on an empty chamber.

Missed shots when deer appeared near a vehicle or the house. That really doesn't count.

I really don't have an empty chamber during shooting hours.
If I am crossing a fence or some obstacle that causes increased concern it will be.
But even for fences, I lay the gun down under the fence, unloading it is not really a big deal.
If my daughter is with me, we unload, and hold the others gun.

The places where I might most like a chamber empty, are the places I am most likely to use it quick.
Unload it, and I may as well just carry my revolver.
It's loaded too.

Like someone else said Happy Trails.
The empty chambered hunting gun is a good thing in my book.
It just doesn't work for me, mostly.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like to run through the woods with a round in the chamber and my finger on the trigger while carrying scissors in the other hand. shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope you have insect repellent on,
the ticks have been bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There's just no telling why millions of people do what they do, like voted for Trudeau perhaps?

Just because you do something different than the majority doesn't necessarily make you right.

Jim

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't have nor will I ever have a bolt action action rifle that does not have the capability to lock down the bolt. CP.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Missed shots when deer appeared near a vehicle or the house. That really doesn't count.

If I am crossing a fence or some obstacle that causes increased concern it will be.
But even for fences, I lay the gun down under the fence, unloading it is not really a big deal.

The places where I might most like a chamber empty, are the places I am most likely to use it quick.
It's loaded too.

Sorry, but why be two-faced in front of your daughter? If it is safer and you want her doing that, what will you say when she asks why?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

It's loaded too.

Sorry, but why be two-faced in front of your daughter? If it is safer and you want her doing that, what will you say when she asks why?

For emphasis, I have never seen anyone claiming "perfect muzzle control" exhibit anything better than "woefully inadequate muzzle control."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
DEPENDS ?? in Northern Minnesota where the timber wolf population is out of control ,I believe its only a matter of time when someone gets attack by a wolf and if its me my rifle will be loaded,i have had them follow me to my stand in the dark at a distance and that is kinda creepy,when you flash the light and see those beady eyes move`n thru the trees. if its a warm fall bears are still active too so ya my rifle is loaded move`n thru the tamarack swamp. hunting deer I use a Ruger #1 so its easy to load and unload for safety,even when I am out west for deer season I still just use my Ruger # 1. but if I hunt with a bolt action rifle I prefer a lock downed bolt by the safety, in the past if safety did not lock bolt down I have had it open up and the cartridge did fall out,mostly when I have a pack on which I always wear in the mountains,when I walk sometimes many miles.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
DEPENDS ?? in Northern Minnesota where the timber wolf population is out of control ,I believe its only a matter of time when someone gets attack by a wolf and if its me my rifle will be loaded,i have had them follow me to my stand in the dark at a distance and that is kinda creepy,when you flash the light and see those beady eyes move`n thru the trees. if its a warm fall bears are still active too so ya my rifle is loaded move`n thru the tamarack swamp. hunting deer I use a Ruger #1 so its easy to load and unload for safety,even when I am out west for deer season I still just use my Ruger # 1. but if I hunt with a bolt action rifle I prefer a lock downed bolt by the safety, in the past if safety did not lock bolt down I have had it open up and the cartridge did fall out,mostly when I have a pack on which I always wear in the mountains,when I walk sometimes many miles.

Wolf attacks are incredibly rare... incredibly...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
I like to run through the woods with a round in the chamber and my finger on the trigger while carrying scissors in the other hand. shocked

Damn it, man, not while chewing gum I hope...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Or voted for Trump? smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (44mc, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.