Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I always wanted one, but just couldn't see paying that much for a handgun, but the other day, this gun was for sale, so a couple of trade ins and some cash later, it followed me home. Quality is beyond expectations and by FAR, the tightest action I've ever experienced:
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice. Congrats.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They are quality, but....they are expensive! Congrats, nice handgun! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congratulations. Freedom arms is the best revolver available. Their backorder for orders is now a number of months.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine example of what 'Made in the USA' really means. Sure it cost more, but now you have one of the finest revolvers ever built. Enjoy it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Little brother, a .357 model 97.

Like big bro, a tack driver.

I'm shooting the 170 gr. Speer Gold Dot. Had to get a taller front sight. FA has a series of front sights of different heights and they knew which one would work. Easy swap out with an Allen wrench. Great support and CS. Good folks at FA. I told them the load and they gave me their suggestion of correct front sight which worked like a charm. When you buy a FA, you get their support which is unmatched in the industry, IMO.

DF

[Linked Image]

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to know, Dirt. I have a load worked up on my Ruger and I hope it wlll work here as well.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
classy Jorge, and I approve of the Pachmyer grips.

Sam......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JorgeI,

Congrats on owning one of the finest handguns made. I have owned three of them, still have one, that I hunt with, a 10" octagon barreled, MagNaPorted version, custom .454 Casull assembled with trigger job, sling swivel studs, etc. It wears a Burris 2X scope in Lovell mounts, and is crazy accurate with both factory and handloaded ammo.

It originally cost me around $1200 to have my gun built the way I wanted it. To do so today, with the options on it, would cost well over $3,000!

BTW- I see yours is wearing the Pachmayr grips. I tried them on all my FA Casulls, and went back to their original Rosewood grips- I found that allowing the guns to 'roll' back in the grip upon firing seemed to reduce felt recoil. Besides, they look really cool on the stainless FA's.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bighorn
JorgeI, I see yours is wearing the Pachmayr grips. I tried them on all my FA Casulls, and went back to their original Rosewood grips- I found that allowing the guns to 'roll' back in the grip upon firing seemed to reduce felt recoil. Besides, they look really cool on the stainless FA's.

+1

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The FA grip is much more comfortable than a SAA. It's sort of a cross between Colt Bisley and the SSA, maybe a touch of Ruger Bisley and Elmer's famous #5 thrown in.

Anyway, it's very effective design, one of the best for handling heavy recoil, IMO.

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bighorn: I called FA and they were real helpful. It appears they DID ship quite a few guns with the Pachmayr which I too, don't care for. Apparently, its an "issue" to have wood (or ivory grips) installed as according to them, they must be individually fitted. I did find a website that says to make a trace of the existing grips and send them so they can in turn make their grips fit. If you know another (or better) route to go, it will be appreciated. J

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very classy pistola, Jorge.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge,

May want to check with Eagle grips or similar to see if they make suitable grips.

FA grips hand fitted by them is probably gonna be pretty pricey. I think I'd go aftermarket.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree with Bighorn and Dirtfarmer on the rubber grips! Rather than allowing the gun to recoil and slide in your grip the rubber seems to grab the flesh in your palm and twist... Not a pleasant feeling.

My FA's all wear smooth factory grips.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
http://www.tombstonegrips.com/mm5/m..._Code=FAC_137a&Category_Code=Freedom

Eagle doesn't have them. These look good. Ivory would look good as well as dark, even black.

The "rosewood" FA grips are actually laminated wood.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, I just loaded 300 new starline cases with 300 gr Cast Performance WFNGC bullets to an easy, comfortable and accurate 1255 fps with 4227 powder, burns clean at those pressures, don't know what it wouldn't handily dispatch either.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
4227 is a great powder for that application, has a smooth pressure curve. And, if you're burning it hot, can be very clean.

I read that Hank Williams, Jr likes it in his vintage, 1st Gen .45 SSA's. Hank is a noted Colt collector. Now, it probably leaves some residue in that application. His reason was the smooth pressure curve in those old guns.

I like it in my .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy with 24" barrel. I shoot 300 gr. jacketed and cast bullets with a rather warm load. Burns really clean and it's a 'diller killer. Those big slugs will roll a 'diller with authority. They do tend to over penetrate, however... grin

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, looking at these:
http://www.tombstonegrips.com/mm5/m..._Code=FAC_137a&Category_Code=Freedom

but website recommends tracing the existing grips, sending that in so they can cut to fit? Thoughts?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have settled on a load for my .454 Casull, using 32.5 gr. of 4227 powder, and Hornady's excellent 240 gr. XTP Mag. bullet. MV is around 1500 fps out of my 10" barrel. Used this load last fall on wild hog and red deer, with great results and pass-through performance. I no longer shoot full-power stuff out of my Casull- reducing factory ammo MV's by 300-400 fps makes a huge difference in recoil, and as far as I can tell, no effect on killing efficiency.

If I were going after really big stuff, like bison, for example, then a heavy cast bullet or the Hornady 300 gr. XTP Mag, or some of the original FA JFP bullets I still have around, might be the better choice.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,362 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.